Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VX crash in Erie, PA

VX crash in Erie, PA

Sorry guys, no gory pics to look at, just thought this was interesting as it states that the driver's VX was stuck in a snowdrift. Wonder if it was driver error or poor vehicle design? I've seen people argue both directions in the past.

Perhaps more importantly, is this person a member of the forum? The article says he sustained major injuries.

Here you go...

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...WS02/312159971

Last edited by Ebenezr : 12/20/2010 at 10:45 AM

oops I should be more compassionate. He had injuries sorry.

Looks like it could be Satch or superstang460. There are two other members listed but they haven't been active in years. These guys were both on in the last few months (superstang460 just this week).

According to the article the drivers name is Robert Roward. I did a quick search and found no match for his name. When I saw the name my first thought was Rowhard...fortunately he is in Washington.
    Hope he has a speedy recovery. Always sad news when someone is seriously injured in an accident even worse when it is this close to the holiday season.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Wow, that's horrible! It kind of makes me wonder if he got caught off guard by black ice and so did the driver who hit him.

I have been hearing too many stories lately about pedestrians getting hit on highways (break downs, running out of gas, flat tires...) It's like cars in the break down lanes become magnetized. Everybody be CAREFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    When I saw the name my first thought was Rowhard...fortunately he is in Washington.
    Yes he does, where it rained heavy for 14 hours straight last week, better chance of getting stuck in a mudslide. Oh well, my workshop is almost dried out, only a few puddles left to get out.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Exclamation

I hope who ever is he fellow VX'er have a full recovery.

I wonder if in the future auto manufacturers will stop building cars with front or rear wheeldrive only

In the north region isn't worth to drive such vehicules,but more importantly drivers shall take road conditions more seriously,i say so because with snow and water together on the road the last thing you shall do is find you self speeding no matter how good you can be behind the wheel.

This guy sustainted MAJOR injuries which makes me believes the mazda driver was going at a considerable speed.
    Dakar was just the begining.

There's not really a reason to believe the other driver was going that fast since the VX driver was standing outside his vehicle. Even a 5 MPH impact from a 3500 lbs. car is enough to kill someone if (God forbid) he was trapped between the two cars.

Last year was the first time I had traveled to Wisconsin in the dead of winter, and I was stunned at how many people drove front wheel drive cars, even when there was significant snow falling or already on the ground. What I learned after two weeks was that you don't really need 4WD or AWD to get around, provided you're careful and conservative in your driving. They actually scoff at people who think 4WD is a prerequisite to drive in winter weather; the way it was expressed to me was that the only really dangerous conditions are white outs or icy roads, and if that's going on you shouldn't be driving ANYTHING. If anything 4WD gives people the false confidence that they can drive in any conditions.

Yikes.. My best wishes to Robert..

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Wow, this is horrible to hear. Hope he's going to be OK. Wonder if those monster tires he just put on had any part in him ending up in the snowdrift. That would be absolutely terrible to hear. All fingers are crossed and positive juju going his way for a good recovery!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Wishing a speedy recovery. He mentioned that the firefox was his winter ride.

Hrrm.. wonder if passing a collection plate for some get well trinkets is in order...?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    If anything 4WD gives people the false confidence that they can drive in any conditions.
    Agreed. When I see something upside down in the ditch 9/10ths of the time it's 4WD or AWD. People forget that stopping an SUV is just as difficult as stopping a RWD vehicle--we're all in curling rocks if it's icy enough, and the extra weight on most of them is just that much tougher to halt.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    There's not really a reason to believe the other driver was going that fast since the VX driver was standing outside his vehicle. Even a 5 MPH impact from a 3500 lbs. car is enough to kill someone if (God forbid) he was trapped between the two cars.

Last year was the first time I had traveled to Wisconsin in the dead of winter, and I was stunned at how many people drove front wheel drive cars, even when there was significant snow falling or already on the ground. What I learned after two weeks was that you don't really need 4WD or AWD to get around, provided you're careful and conservative in your driving. They actually scoff at people who think 4WD is a prerequisite to drive in winter weather; the way it was expressed to me was that the only really dangerous conditions are white outs or icy roads, and if that's going on you shouldn't be driving ANYTHING. If anything 4WD gives people the false confidence that they can drive in any conditions.

I can agree with the fact that much people are over confident when it comes to 4wd or awd,but you can't deny the fact that under that sort of weather conditions awd and 4wd vehicules are much safer to drive.

I also agree that many drivers are concious enough to drive with care front or rear wheel drive vehicules.

If the police reports says that the VX'er sustained mayor injuries i doubt the mazda driver could be going under 20mph,especially for the same fact that the driver must felt confident driving a mazda 6 awd.

Anyways,hope this guy can make it back to his house and be with his family.

What a sad way to spend the holidays