Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head gaskets...

You don't have to touch the AC stuff to get the pwr steering pump out. I did mine last winter through the drivers side wheel well. No problems, would be easier with the tire off, but I did it with th tire on...FWIW

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Marlin
    Yes, you are right! I took the wheel off, took heatshield off
    Removed PS pump from the bracket and then took head bolts out
    and wiggled the head out with PS pump Bracket and exhaust manifold
    attached.

Got passengerside head back on tonight!
    Snow started flying, and had to get home. Sucks that it's snowing, and I'm driving an s-10 pickup and having a vehicross stuck in my brothers garage.

Does it mean anything if there is oil in the bottom of the head bolt hole?
    Driverside top front bolt hole had an inch of oil in it.
    I dipped a long wd-40 nozzle in there, wiped off, dipped, wiped,
    Till I couldnt get anymore on the nozzle, then brake cleaned the hole.
    Will see what is left in there tomorrow night.
    Bolts are supposed to go in dry, just didnt know where the oil came from.

It's ALIVE........but....

I did something to the tranny. It is Downshifting really hard 3rd to 2nd and then 2nd to 1st.
    I know what I did, just don't know what I may have done.
    When taking apart the exhaust, the manual said to remove the third crossmember. So I start undoing bolts on the crossmember wondering what will hold the transmission up if I take the off?
    Well I had a jack under it, and undid the bolts , then realized the jack wast tight, and it sank a good inch before I was able to tighten it. So I put bolts back in a bit, because I now had some clearance I needed.
    So last night raised the tranny back up and bolted everything up tight (I am missing one of the bolts under the skid plate) and I finished the last of the reassembly, hooked up the battery,
    And the truck fired right up, (I got video!)
    So tonight I took it for a short drive. It is still smoking, and downshifts hard

Anythoghts on what I put in a bind when I jacked the tranny back up, or what I may have broke? It upshifts fine, and wasn't having any abnormal shifting before this project. It has to be IMO from me moving the tranny?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    I did something to the tranny. It is Downshifting really hard 3rd to 2nd and then 2nd to 1st.
    I know what I did, just don't know what I may have done.
    When taking apart the exhaust, the manual said to remove the third crossmember. So I start undoing bolts on the crossmember wondering what will hold the transmission up if I take the off?
    Well I had a jack under it, and undid the bolts , then realized the jack wast tight, and it sank a good inch before I was able to tighten it. So I put bolts back in a bit, because I now had some clearance I needed.
    So last night raised the tranny back up and bolted everything up tight (I am missing one of the bolts under the skid plate) and I finished the last of the reassembly, hooked up the battery,
    And the truck fired right up, (I got video!)
    So tonight I took it for a short drive. It is still smoking, and downshifts hard

Anythoghts on what I put in a bind when I jacked the tranny back up, or what I may have broke? It upshifts fine, and wasn't having any abnormal shifting before this project. It has to be IMO from me moving the tranny?
    Check that part of the wiring harness that's factory connected to the cross memeber...

I know this is simplistic, and I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but could it be that the fluid in the transmission shifted while it was in a lowered position and just needs some time to level back out so it will shift normally?

I figure; check the easy (cheap) stuff first.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I know this is simplistic, and I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but could it be that the fluid in the transmission shifted while it was in a lowered position and just needs some time to level back out so it will shift normally?

I figure; check the easy (cheap) stuff first.
    I would say no, based on the fact that I have had my VX tipped front side up, back side up, sideways, and never had a shifting problem. His was only a few inches off, so I doubt it would make much difference? Plus, tranny fluid isn't that thick, it would move fairly quick, especially at 150 degrees or whatever it runs at...

I'd say check the fluid level, check the connectors, and also check the mode selector. Maybe when it sank it pulled something down to much and messed up the mode switch somehow??? That's all attached to your shift selector and maybe the mode switch cracked or broke or something?

When was the last time you checked/changed the fluid and filter? Might be a good time to do that. Who knows, maybe the tranny issue is just a coincidence.

Bart

something to consider,

the "D" on my dashboard has been out for months. i cleaned the switch underneath the shifter, by the tranny, when it first happened. it was dirty, now its not, and the "D" is still out on the dash. so i figured the bulb must be out. and there was not any odd shifting problems in all that time.

my power mode light has been out for around a month, before this all happened. the winter mode still works fine, and the winter light on the dash works.
    the truck feels like it is in power mode, even if the dash light doesnt tell me so. so again, i figured another bulb is burnt.

fluid in tranny was checked this fall, and was right where it should be.
    a change and filter has been on my to do list. but i got alot of other list also.......

i just feel like something happened when i lowered the tranny down that bit.

thanks for the input thus far. i cant stand being this close to driving again. the things i was worried about, (timing, timing belt, etc) went so smoothly, and the thing that wasnt really even on the radar, is giving me fits.
    thanks again!

And another thought.....

I'm sure that after having coolant going thru the exhaust, I imagine my pre cat O2 sensors are probably shot. Could they be sending any bad, or no signal to the ECU and making the poor shifts?
    I looked at all the electronic plugs, and couldn't find any problems.
    Back to the shop manual.........

thats odd........

went to work on the vx again tonight, and replaced both up O2 sensors, checked all along the tranny again for anything loose. transmission is snug and tight to the supports. checked the front driveshaft, and got a little play when i tried to turn it.
    so anyway, after i got the O2 sensors on, and reset the puter, i took it for a drive. the truck is spunky again! but i knew there was a stop up ahead, and prepared for "the clunk"..........but it never came! so i drove a bit more, and slowed, and again no clunk! so im supposing that the vx fixed its own problem like others trucks have done. so

bottom line is, im back on the road!!!!

i think ii found the problem..........

almost all back together! a shout out to buffy who inspired me to do a little cleaning up of the engine compartment. thank you buffy!
    and thanks to all who put up with my project!

i think i am going to combine my writeup of the intake gasket replacement with a write up of head gasket replacement. looking back, it really wasnt that bad of an ordeal. just alot of wrench turning, hand cramps, and organization!

thanks again!

i dont think i posted those pics right......
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 12/22/2010 at 08:02 PM Reason: dont know how to post pics

Hrrrm.... waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one... sorry to say.

grif, are you talking about the other head gasket????

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    grif, are you talking about the other head gasket????

lol..... no. Just a dread fear that the probs are not fixed.

LOL, i am trying to keep a more up beat and positive outlook on the whole thing!