Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Head gaskets...

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    i think i am going to combine my writeup of the intake gasket replacement with a write up of head gasket replacement. looking back, it really wasnt that bad of an ordeal. just alot of wrench turning, hand cramps, and organization!
    I'd like to read your write up on the Intake gasket replacement - do you have it online?

Carl

Carl,
    I do not have it finished yet. Haven't had alot of computer time.
    But I would be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.
    Shoot me a email or pm.

Wink

A long time ago...when I was running my Dueler Revo A/T's with no suspension lift....I was concerned about cross rotating them often to get good tire life.

I jacked my VX up in the driveway using the stock jack under the rear axle with jack-stands and also a floor jack under the crossmember as I needed it on each side.

The moral of the story is that when I was done mine shifted like yours as I drove it down the road. I was scared that I tweaked the frame or trannie so the only thing I could think to do was to reverse-order my jacking procedure to hopefully un-tweak whatever I did....it lead me to believe it worked because it shifted fine afterwards. I always took it to a tire place to cross rotate tires after that...lol.

Now, this is the second set of unidirectional treaded tires so I don't have to cross-rotate them..just fronts to back and vice-versa which means just jacking up one side at a time...no problems with shifting!

Like you...I really don't know exactly what happened to cause the shifting issues...or if it really fixed itself and I just think I did it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Hey Guys! I know my gaskets need to be replaced, the coolant I keep putting in radiator/reservoir every few days keeps dissapearing! Head gaskets will have to be replaced! Crap! I def can't do this project. I'm in New York, can any one recommend to who/where I can take the car in to get fixed? Really need this info guys! can any one help?
    Thanks
    Ed 718-408-0412
    Ed
    NYC

Just a comment on your tranny problem.

I have not looked at how a VX works but I suspect the kickdown cable was mis adjusted/out of place due to your work. Rechecking everything likely got it back in place.

3 month update

Well, 3 months from replacing my head gaskets, my driverside cat clogged. I guess all that coolant was just too much. It had 10# of restriction! So if you ever have to replace your headgaskets, you better check the cats, or save your change for some new ones. I got a replacement cat for 250.00, out the door for aftermarket.
    So all is now completely well with the vx..... Except for the sonny universal, and window reg cable, and the rear door stay, and
    My power drive button.....and.....

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Just a comment on your tranny problem.

I have not looked at how a VX works but I suspect the kickdown cable was mis adjusted/out of place due to your work. Rechecking everything likely got it back in place.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ighlight=4L30E

Hi there,

I am currently TRYING to replace my head gaskets, yet I have removed every bolt and hose attached to the RH cylinder head (following the manual to the T) and I STILL can't get it off. I thought that it was necessary to unscrew the exhaust manifold head from the cylinder head via the four bolts visible from top view. Are there more underneath or am I missing something? Please help, thank you!
    Lucas

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Shop manual says 8 bolts for the exhaust manifold...no diagram to show where they are.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mile High VX For This Useful Post:

303Foxfire (04/12/2016)

The other 4 bolts are directly underneath the top 4 bolts....or you can just unbolt the exhaust manifold from the down tube and lift off the manifold and cylinder head in one piece still attached to each other....