Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Front Diff drop help for 8" lift

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    -What brake lines did you switch to? No way factory length will hold up to that much lift and be able to flex, especially with the IFS kit.

I ended up using some universal steel braded lines that I got at SUMMIT for a different project. They are a lot longer. I also had to disconnect the E-brake brackets to get enough slack

-Did you put any kind of gussets in the extensions for the upper control arm drops? Thats a very tight angle to have no extra weight bearing supports.

There is a cylindrical steel tube welded to the underside of the upper that has 2 gussets running inward and I also have it welded to the ball joint spacer. It is pretty solid

-Did you get some super extended length shocks? Otherwise the first time it brings a tire off the ground, you may here some sickening pop as all the oil/gas comes out of your shock

I actually used the Rancho RS5000 shocks that were for my F250 with a 6 inch lift. Just pressed in a larger 5/8" lower bushing so it bolted right on the VX-

Be careful dropping your diff 3", that bracket is gonna have to be heavy duty. If you can fab that up, you can fab up the brackets. You just just cut out a rectangle, and weld in a new plate that moves the holes down the desired length:

I was thinking of a way to drop the whole frnt cradle down 5" like they do on IFS chevy lift kits or with H2's, but this is my winter vehicle, we have 3" of snow, and I'm still driving a 5" lowered Ford lightning...I gotta hurry haha

Gears...Matt at Independent4x.
    I go broke everytime I log on Independent4x.com haha They just have all those litte odds and ends I always need.
    Last edited by superstang460 : 11/27/2010 at 07:42 AM

For a worry free front drive shaft to match up to your diff drop you might give the guys at High Angle Driveline a call.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I've got a solution for your diff drop woes:

This is designed around a 7" lift. It's a thailand lift kit, my buddy just installed it on his 98' Rodeo over here, between it, his lift coils, and body lift, he's at 13" of lift, it's on 33's in the pic, right after install. That style of adapter could be easily modified for any amount of lift. There kits should work with our VX's but expensive. Oh and awesome work on your VX, that's some good fab work!! This Thai lift kit uses a spindle adapter that bolts to the factory spindle and keeps steering etc all at factory height/specs, really neat stuff
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by superstang460 View Post

Firefox on 40's
    F*** me! Have you applied for BigFoot status yet? Or maybe follow in the footsteps of another beloved member:

Wow RamAirZ! That is awesome info on that lift!! I need more info tho. How do I contact them?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    http://www.4x4.in.th/mr/

http://www.weekendhobby.com/ad/sun.htm

Outer Limits forum discussion:

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=14500

Discussion says it's about $2K plus shipping and 4 weeks to build before shipment.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Not the same company MileHigh. His took about a week-2 weeks and 5 days to get to Mississippi. They have some kits ready to go but his was a new design, they had to modify some stuff. Here is the website:

http://btv4x4.com/

They are working on a Trooper lift right now that should bolt right onto the VX

I sent them an email, but this damn language barrier may mess things up haha. I like that bolt in diff drop bracket design

All I can say is: Looks great, but how are you planning on dealing with the giant SNAP! Up front?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I sent them an email, but this damn language barrier may mess things up haha. I like that bolt in diff drop bracket design
    Print it & bring it down to your friendly local Thai restaurant...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I'd love to see a side view...

Its a tad top heavy/high center of gravity for my taste..
    ....but certainly eye catching

I cant help wonder ...

A) How much cladding/metal you have cut out of arches..
    ..especially rear of front & front of rear ?

or

B) How much is going to rip off when those meats compress up into arches..

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    I'd love to see a side view...

Its a tad top heavy/high center of gravity for my taste..
    ....but certainly eye catching

I cant help wonder ...

A) How much cladding/metal you have cut out of arches..
    ..especially rear of front & front of rear ?

or

B) How much is going to rip off when those meats compress up into arches..

jo
    In my preps for the superflexy, I removed what was in those arches, nothing but plastic, the rest is hollow. I imagine he had some major cutting at the front part of the body seam though, and cut the lip off of the cladding, there is nothing under there either, just the tabs that the splash guards mount to. The rear on the other hand...I hope he doesn't have any plans of maintaining the two feet of wheel travel, I already rub, and his tires are 6" bigger than mine!!!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    im sorry, but i have to chime in with a little voice of reason...

1. the VX has issues with 35's on a 4 inch lift, i completely agree with beau (ascinder), that your going to hear a huge POP the first time you try to roll.... or your going to make it half way down the block and run outta gas from flooring it to get your VX moving.

2. our transmission, t-case, and axles are not NEAR strong enough to handle that much weight in tires, its gonna cost you a LOT just to get it to roll...

3. and last, i have to say that it is extremely unsafe to drive a vehicle with that big of tires on it unless its a diesel pickup. (the VX braking just isnt going to stop that thing). and im actually a fan of bigger tires, but thats just rediculous.

i guess i say, to each their own...... but DAMN im glad it isnt my bank account or neighborhood. because i would be afraid to be rear ended by you.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Hi Marlin.

I think you'll find that there is metal, and certainly at the lower rear of the front arches...
    I removed a section of the "Mud" insert and had to trim back about 1 1/2 inches of metal...not structural, just bracing between outer skin and body.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    In my preps for the superflexy, I removed what was in those arches, nothing but plastic, the rest is hollow.

Having changed to 35's some 5 months ago...I am still cutting metal and plastic everytime I go off road and flex/compress more than last time.

(I believe Dub found the same when he went to 35's..)

Not so much at back arches...but certainly front arches, front and rear.

As for clearance at lower front of rear arches...
    As long as the rear wheel clears the front "at rest"..should be OK (ish!) when flexed as the whole deal swings back as it compresses.

IMO, back of rear arches and inside top & lip of all arches is gonna get interesting with those 40's..

FWIW..I envisage some serious cut and hack on the ORW at Moab next time..
    ... when I push it to the max.

jo

I need some help with lowering my front diff. How much is the max drop before front drive shaft stress is too much?...3" maybe?
    The diff drop kit that Welder Guy makes for us is a 2" drop. The one that Darlington OffRoad sells is 1.5"

But ...

I've been toying with the idea of spacers to go between the differential brackets and the frame. If you were to do the modified brackets and the spacers, that would get you 4" of drop. That may still not be enough for you but it's a start.

The other alternative is RCV. We've been working with them to build us a set of bulletproof half shafts. They're still working on it & they may be able to custom make you a set of extended shafts. It'll be pricey though. Search on "last cv you'll ever need" to find that thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.