Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Line X on cladding

Line X on cladding

I'm looking to get my cladding done in Line X but the local installer would like info on the best prep methods and primer. Can anyone who has had it done tell me what shop you had yours done at? My shop wants to contact someone who's already done it. Thanks!

Not sure your reasons for wanting to do the lineX, but if you are trying to restore your cladding check out http://gatorbackcoatings.com/.

I have zero experience with either one, but figured I would at least pass it along.

I absolutely love the way Woody and ZAdam123 and their Line X jobs came out.

Quote Originally Posted by KRemo View Post
    I'm looking to get my cladding done in Line X but the local installer would like info on the best prep methods and primer. Can anyone who has had it done tell me what shop you had yours done at? My shop wants to contact someone who's already done it. Thanks!
    Really? I would be looking for a different dealer to do the job. Why can't they contact other LineX dealers and find out for themselves? Sounds like an experienced shop to me...just my 2 cents. I would definitely not take it to that particular dealer.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

He says he's never seen it done and after I showed him these pictures, he says it really looks good. He was not wanting to do a job without making sure the line x could adhere well or not sure it would even look good. He was very concerned with his reputation and didn't want a vehicle driving around that didn't look great with his product on. Having never done it before, I appreciate his wanting to research it to make sure it's done right.

He says he's never seen it done and after I showed him these pictures, he says it really looks good. He was not wanting to do a job without making sure the line x could adhere well or not sure it would even look good. He was very concerned with his reputation and didn't want a vehicle driving around that didn't look great with his product on. Having never done it before, I appreciate his wanting to research it to make sure it's done right.
    No, I understand that, but that would be the same as taking your VX to a tranny shop, and them asking you how to do the work since they had never done it before. HE should be doing the research via his dealer contacts, not you. Is he going to give you 50% off for doing his job for him? In theory, you could come back and tell him that you have to coat the VX in olive oil first, then toast it a bit, that creates a tar like surface for the LineX to stick to. He is admitting that he has no idea how to do it.
    On a lighter note, all you need to do is strip all the previous contaminants off, it is already a textured surface, and you should have no problems. The cheap herculiner I spilled on my cladding is still there after pressure washing, mud, trees, sun. And I did no prepwork (not my intention to get it on the cladding originally).

I'm so used to people telling me "I've never even seen a car like that." that it doesn't bother me when people tell me that. He said he contacted every other shop in the area before finally asking me where the others were done. You know how rare our VX's are, so I totally appreciate his honesty. He had seen Wranglers but wasn't sure about the actual material our cladding is made of. This shop came highly recommended.

As for the do it yourself job, I absolutely love the look other owners have achieved from the Duplicolor bumper paint. I'm scared to mess it up or hate the way it looks if I attempt anything like that. LOL

I wouldn't have a problem with a shop being honest about their ignorance, I've done business with more than a few shops that I only found out after the ****** job that they didn't have any idea what they were doing. There's really nothing complicated about this job, I'm sure they have plenty of experience doing similar work so once someone tells them what prep process to use I have to believe they would know exactly how to do it.

I'd PM Luna X, he was in the body shop business for a few decades so he might be able to give you the best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    The cheap herculiner I spilled on my cladding is still there after pressure washing, mud, trees, sun. And I did no prepwork (not my intention to get it on the cladding originally).
    So I take it you'll be coating all the cladding soon?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So I take it you'll be coating all the cladding soon?
    Yep, after the diff drop, front end restore, superflextkit....and then I have to put up xmas lights, and if you recall from last year, that is no joke for me. Then I have uwharrie on 10-12 DEC. After that is xmas stand down, we are off 17DEC to Jan, we only muster 4 times, and I do not have duty, so a ton of time to get stuff like that done. Don't worry, I will of course post up pics for everyone to make fun of...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Don't worry, I will of course post up pics for everyone to make fun of...

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I second your idea, as I've been talking about doing this for awhile but I one, haven't really invested a lot of time researching the process and/or what shop to go with (life somehow always gets in the way haha) and two, I have this distinct feeling the whole job is going to cost a pretty penny and being the silly practical guy I am, Im trying to save my pennies for a new timing belt/water pump/oil pump/wheel bearings/exhaust/intake/suspension lift/tires/stereo...then line-x cladding

Quote Originally Posted by yesitdoeshaveteeth View Post
    I I have this distinct feeling the whole job is going to cost a pretty penny
    Well, figure that a truck bed is probably around 500 bucks, minimal prep, and a big box. I would guess that the cladding job would be at least $1K?

Quote Originally Posted by yesitdoeshaveteeth View Post
    I second your idea, as I've been talking about doing this for awhile but I one, haven't really invested a lot of time researching the process and/or what shop to go with (life somehow always gets in the way haha) and two, I have this distinct feeling the whole job is going to cost a pretty penny and being the silly practical guy I am, Im trying to save my pennies for a new timing belt/water pump/oil pump/wheel bearings/exhaust/intake/suspension lift/tires/stereo...then line-x cladding
    Howdy neighbor.

The shop (on 17 in Fredericksburg) that LineX'd my hood insert indicated that they would shoot my cladding for $25 for each piece (if I brought them in dismounted and ready to treat). I think that works out to $200 (8 pieces of cladding). I didn't take the plunge yet but am still considering. Lemme know if you want the shop's contact info. He showed me pix of an entire Vette he did (EEEWWW) and an Amigo (not bad). He did a good job on the Vette ... just shouldn't have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.