Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wind noise

Wind noise

Driver side of vehicle loud wind noise near side view mirror.

I have made a discovery ! Yay ! Drivers side door hinges are worn . The door tips out slightly along the a pillar .

Solution = New hinges .

I ordered hinges from Isuzu parts .com . Two hinges , Oops! I clicked the wrong box and ended up with a passenger side "right side" upper hinge and drivers side "left side"upper hinge . Dang! so I place another order for a Left side lower hinge . Why ? because I need the drives side hinges .

The following is copied from Isuzu parts .com website : "Catalog Note: LH or Left = Driver Side; RH or Right = Passenger Side "

I took my shinny new hinges ,just the left ones and painted them some color that's really close to dragon green.
    Install time, I disconnect the wire harness and unbolt the door ,remove the top hinge from the frame and .... well it doesn't match my shiny green hinge that I just painted . I take a look at the passenger side hinge, and yep my shiny green hinge matches that one , same thing for the lower hinge.

As of right now, I have a shinny non painted hinge that is a RH hinge according to Isuzu parts .com , on my drivers side door . I put it there because it matched the one that I took off.

Can someone please help me figure this out . Either my hinges were mixed up during the original assembling of my vehicle in japan , or something else ?

maybe going by those wrong side of road drivers they would be right. lol

Do you still have your packaging with part numbers (especially the plastic wrappers with the paper labels)? According the the parts list from the download section, the numbers should be:

Upper Right: 89423 03924
    Upper Left: 89423 03934

Lower Right: 89415 53142
    Lower Left: 89415 53152

NOTE: The format of the 10-digit part numbers may appear as X-XXXXX-XXX-X instead of XXXXX XXXXX.

PS: My VX developed wind noise from the same area after I adjusted the LH window. It no longer binds while rolling up, but now I get noise at highway speeds when there is a strong cross wind. I plan on experimenting with the adjustment next time I remove the door panel.

I also had MAJOR wind noise coming from that area. Discovered PO had cut off the rubber window gasket (aka "glass run") right next to tweeter panel, going down inside door panel. Replaced gasket, 100% fixed. Is your full gasket present?
    This is the new gasket, but entire 5" or so in front of the mirror was missing.
    Hope ya figger out those hinges.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    PS: My VX developed wind noise from the same area after I adjusted the LH window. It no longer binds while rolling up, but now I get noise at highway speeds when there is a strong cross wind. I plan on experimenting with the adjustment next time I remove the door panel.
    Funny, I had the exact opposite problem with my passenger side window before installing the SBC brackets. My conclusion was that before when the window was rolled up there was a very slight opening between the top of the window and the gasket due to the rocking/tipping effect of misaligned tracks. Once the window was modded with the SBC bracket and the tracks realigned the noise went away.

Something else you may want to look into... if you have window visors the noise may be from window rushing between the mirror, visor, and passenger side window. My PO put a small block of black padding there to prevent wind noise, and it works pretty good. So something else to consider...

I had the same problem and solution as Kat. Sounded like I left the passenger door ajar when I was driving down the highway. Fixed the windows and noticed the seal was split from window binding/wear. Replaced it and haven't heard any wind noise since.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I also had MAJOR wind noise coming from that area. Discovered PO had cut off the rubber window gasket (aka "glass run") right next to tweeter panel, going down inside door panel. Replaced gasket, 100% fixed. Is your full gasket present?
    That's not the one you sold me is it???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    That's not the one you sold me is it???
    No dear, not to worry...I got one from blujfan, then found a brand new one, so you got the one from bluj.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Do you still have your packaging with part numbers (especially the plastic wrappers with the paper labels)? According the the parts list from the download section, the numbers should be:

Upper Right: 89423 03924
    Upper Left: 89423 03934

Lower Right: 89415 53142
    Lower Left: 89415 53152

NOTE: The format of the 10-digit part numbers may appear as X-XXXXX-XXX-X instead of XXXXX XXXXX.

Yes , I have the packaging from the hinges. The hinge that I replaced on the door last night has the following part number :8-94230392-4 and GM#94230392 . I opened the plastic pack that it was in,removed the hinge and stuffed the plastic packing into my pocket. Then I installed the hinge ,on the drivers side top. The hinge is shiny and hideous , this shall be remedied later.

The wind noise is almost completely gone . At 70ish if a strong gust of wind pounds the car , I can here a slight hint of wind . I need to adjust the hinges a wee bit , as the alignment is a little off. I'm sure that after I adjust the door properly the hint of wind will go away .
    I just ordered the lower right hinge, to put on the bottom of my driver side door....

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

My full gasket is present.

Either the hinges on my VX are reversed ,or the order descriptions are screwy.

I would like to see some photos of other members VX driver side door hinges " the side that is bolted to the vehicle " . Please!

Top Driver's Side Hinge
    as seen from above:

Top Driver's Side Hinge
    as seen from side:

Bottom Driver's Side Hinge
    as seen from side:

(You can tell this is mine - screw loose!!! )
    Last edited by RickOKC : 11/18/2010 at 04:48 PM

So removing four bolts and unplugging a harness is all that's required to take the door off? Someone should take their doors off just to snap pics of what the VX looks like with them completely removed.

Thank you ! RickOKC .

Great photos ! What I'm looking for is a shot of the part of the hinge where it bolts to the body of the VX . The bolt holes on that side of the hinge are offset . The upper hinge on the drivers side of my VX , has the top hole set back further away from the front edge of the hinge, than the lower hole . "front edge" = The part of the hinge nearest to the finder.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So removing four bolts and unplugging a harness is all that's required to take the door off? Someone should take their doors off just to snap pics of what the VX looks like with them completely removed.

It's a little bit more involved than that . But it doesn't take very long to remove the door . The hang up is putting it back on.