Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Setup For Our Car? What ya Think About This One.

Turbo Setup For Our Car? What ya Think About This One.

I came across this on Ebaymotors. Was wondering what everyone else thought about this I know there was some talk about Turbos preivous never saw a result. This seems to be whole kit except minor pieces which is all stated in the add Have a look and post some feedback

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-TU...item2a0bc2f4da

Still will require some fabrication. This is just a general kit not specific to our VXs.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Big Fat Piece of Crap

Come on UNIVERSAL? I can put this on a GEO Metro or a Caddy or a Hummer or Civic?
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

I know of the superchargers but has anyone done a turbo app yet?

And as far as those "UNIVERSAL" kits are concerned...they are a joke. My brother got one for his eclipse and he spent months just putting it together...not to mention he spun the bearings on his turbo as the compressor was too small for his app.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxRed_Ninty_9xXx View Post
    Yep, the moon buggy in Japan...the one with the wide boby kit. Here is some info....if you can read Japanese!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Use the search function to find morgan tec's vortec centrifugal S/C on his Ax...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Yep, the moon buggy in Japan...the one with the wide boby kit. Here is some info....if you can read Japanese!
    Translation... http://translate.google.com/translat...oon%2Fmoon.htm

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Come on UNIVERSAL? I can put this on a GEO Metro or a Caddy or a Hummer or Civic?
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxRed_Ninty_9xXx View Post

And as far as those "UNIVERSAL" kits are concerned...they are a joke. My brother got one for his eclipse and he spent months just putting it together...not to mention he spun the bearings on his turbo as the compressor was too small for his app.
    No false advertising here, turbos are like centrifugal superchargers, because they don't bolt directly to the engine manifold like a roots/Eaton-style supercharger, they're not terribly application specific (with the exception of needing to choose one of sufficient size for your engine). What does have to be specific is the mounting and piping required to route the gases out of your exhaust into the turbo and out into the intake. Those pieces almost always have to be fabricated from scratch, and since most people don't have professional pipe-bending and metal fabrication equipment in their garage, installing one of these without professional help is extremely difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    What does have to be specific is the mounting and piping required to route the gases out of your exhaust into the turbo and out into the intake. Those pieces almost always have to be fabricated from scratch, and since most people don't have professional pipe-bending and metal fabrication equipment in their garage, installing one of these without professional help is extremely difficult.
    +1. A quality turbo manifold is an expensive proposition.

Custom painted S/C Ironman (ex. VX-King Copper, Rickster's Chameleon)
    Oh, no... I think this topic has been raised on the forum AT LEAST a dozen of times since I've been around, with the most comprehensive discussion being here:
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13021

Lizardmen, why reinvent the wheel, why not save some money and find an Alpine S/C instead?!! l know it is hard, but POSSIBLE, trust me, way more possible than making this bunch of pipes work on your Vehicross!!
    Vodka... Connecting people

Petos hook me up then!! Finding a S/C is like impossible and alot more then turbos but seems more doable... (rock and a hard place)

S/C parts price is more expensive than turbo, but installation labor will be MUCH more expensive for the turbo kit if you can't do it yourself. The Alpine S/C is custom designed for the VX, so (within reason) it is much more plug and play and therefore less expensive to install.

Bottom line (IMHO) is S/C parts + labor < turbo parts + labor.

Lightbulb Sorry it is all false advertising.

No false advertising here, turbos are like centrifugal superchargers, because they don't bolt directly to the engine manifold like a roots/Eaton-style supercharger, they're not terribly application specific (with the exception of needing to choose one of sufficient size for your engine). What does have to be specific is the mounting and piping required to route the gases out of your exhaust into the turbo and out into the intake. Those pieces almost always have to be fabricated from scratch, and since most people don't have professional pipe-bending and metal fabrication equipment in their garage, installing one of these without professional help is extremely difficult.
    Universal is one size fits ALL. If it is one size fits many it is not universal and specific engines or vehicles should be listed. If it doesnt come with all the parts necesary to work on your vehicle and requires expensive modifications it is a partial kit. In addition one size fits none without modification is not the same as one size fits all. Its like condoms just cause they only make two sizes doesnt mean there are only 2 sizes of penises.
    Last edited by circmand : 11/18/2010 at 01:42 PM Reason: to add a joke

Well the devil's always in the details right? In either case, what is decidedly deceptive is when they advertise it for a specific vehicle that the manufacturer almost certainly has no experience with. Guys like the OP could end up spending a lot of money for shiny, cool-looking frustration.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

could end up spending a lot of money for shiny, cool-looking frustration.
    And who doesn't have one or two of those in their dating past...