Thread: Installing Super flexy IFS kit

Installing Super flexy IFS kit

I got to play with my IFS kit for about 10 minutes while I was home for 12 hours. It comes in a box about the size of a 12 pack of coke. I was expecting bigger for some reason. He sent photos and instructions along with it. It is BEEFY. For all that are worried about the 1/2" pin breaking, they are rated to around 36Kpsi shear point. If it can tow a 12,000 lb trailer, it can handle the stress of our suspension when it is locked into a static position. The frame of the VX will fail long before that anyway...

In tandem with my install, I will be installing my diff drop brackets, cleaning the front axle/diff and painting with the POR15 I have been sitting on for a few months. I will then do it all up in red caliper paint. I will also build/install the modified front cross member. This is required when dropping the diff, otherwise the pumpkin will rub. No biggie.
    I will do some before flex and after flex shots, ease of install and whatnot.
    Hopefully I will start on all this weekend after next.

PS-I will be removing the garbage Mecatech boots at the same time. I talked to some others at the ZU meet, apparently this has been happening with those boots lately. A change in manufacturer or compund?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have never liked the mechatech boots. Even the ones I got several years ago from independent4x4 were way too thin for my liking. Have you tried contacting RCV about some. I though someone mentioned they had some awesome articulation friendly boots available. Can't wait to see pics of the install. Are you going to do a complete writeup/guide for it?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    I have never liked the mechatech boots. Even the ones I got several years ago from independent4x4 were way too thin for my liking. Have you tried contacting RCV about some. I though someone mentioned they had some awesome articulation friendly boots available. Can't wait to see pics of the install. Are you going to do a complete writeup/guide for it?
    I have some new boots sitting in the garage from the aftermarket joints I bought. Pending the RCV price, I will be switching to those CV joints and liquidating all my extras.

As for the write up, thats the plan. He provided instructions with the kit, but I would like to do a "IFS INSTALL FOR DUMMIES" style write up. It looks very easy to do, rust will be the only enemy, and the diff drop is a pretty good install project as well. If you are doing the diff drop brackets, might as well install an aussie up front (save many hours in labor to do everything at once) Also might as well replace CV boots while its all apart. There are a lot maintenance/upgrades that could be done at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    If you are doing the diff drop brackets, might as well install an aussie up front (save many hours in labor to do everything at once) Also might as well replace CV boots while its all apart. There are a lot maintenance/upgrades that could be done at the same time.
    I agree, that's the way to do it. I had to replace my cv's and it was much easier to just do everything at once. I did cv's, Aussie locker, manual hubs, diff drop and cross member drop at the same time.

I can probably help with the IFS kit install instructions. I started writing a for-dummies-like-me version too. I didn't get as many pictures as I should have... make sure you take plenty! I'll send you what I have so far. PM me your email address when you get a chance.
    Last edited by phines : 05/25/2011 at 07:33 PM