Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fog/driving light replacement

Fog/driving light replacement

Hey kids!

My 10 year old baby finally had a problem (that wasn't window regulator related, that is!). One of the front driving/fog light bulbs went out. Strangely, these are the only lights in the front of the car that cannot be easily accessed from the outside. It looks like you have to remove the front cladding to pull this off. Not having what I need at the moment to do this, I tried the local mechanic. He told me that those particular lamps must be replaced by an authorized Isuzu dealer only. Can these simple, little, lights really be that hardcore? The nearest Isuzu dealership is faaaaar from my house.

Any thoughts?

your mechanic must have been feeling lazy.. Factory fog/driving lights can be reached fairlt easily from the holes between the radiator and the grille.. You can also remove the grille easily with 4 10mm bolts and 3 philips head screws.

You can also grip the lamp from the front by your finger tips, twist them 1/4 turn and they pull out of the bumper easily.

The bulbs are easy to find too.. They are 921 bulbs.. but 194 bulbs will fit too

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Eric is right - you can easily twist them 1/4 turn and then the whole assembly will pull out of the bumper very easy. The 921 bulbs aren't very bright you might want to consider and LED replacement that will be much better.

I bought ones just like this off buy.com but I cant find them on there anymore so here is a link to ones I found on ebay. they are bright!!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1x-NE...Q5fAccessories
    pics to come if you want.

How funny ... VX Kat walked me through removing these lenses just a few days ago! Like the others have said, 1/4 turn counter-clockwise. Hopefully yours turn easily - mine fought me. I actually had to turn the lens from the outside with one hand while using my other hand to twist it from the back. I reached my scrawny-girl-scout-twig-arm through the gap between the grille support and the headlight to get to the back part of the assembly.

Last edited by RickOKC : 10/12/2010 at 09:30 PM

Yeah, I can get my skinny arms down there with no problem to turn 'em from the inside. The outside grip method has not always worked for me. Ya rarely need to do this and they get stuck after a few years.

The stock bulbs are ~4 watts. Lots of us have been using a 12v, 18 watt wedge base bulb for many years. They're much brighter and look much better. The 18w bulbs are not too hot or draw too much power for the wires.

Malibu outdoor lighting bulbs are the ones ya want from Home Depot-
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/outdoor-lighting/malibu/

They last for years. I once made the mistake of getting the same bulbs from Sylvania at Lowes. They suck! They burned out in well under a year. I now carry the extra two Malibu's in my glove box. If I see one has burned out, it can get changed in seconds, no matter where I am. Even without the help of an Isuzu trained mechanic.

Mark

Sylvania now also makes a silverstar 921 bulb that matches their head lights perfectly.. About 8 bucks a pack

Forget that, go big or go home:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=2

Very easy to do, and I love the results, especially because a few of us members here have HID bulbs inside the Micro DE's now

A bit pricier, but this route is ideal. I have a pair but have failed at installing them..... lazy. :|

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1003
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Who has the VX with fog lights installed in the open slots to either side of the license plate area? That looks terrific!

I think the previous owner changed to brighter clear bulbs on my VX before I bought it. Were the original bulbs clear or amber?

I realize this is sort of O/T but I didn't get any help in another thread and it looks like all lighting/electric experts are right here -- can anyone provide me with the layman's instructions on how to get fog-lights switch on when the engine is on? Pretty please with the sugar on top?

Also, Rick, howcome you're missing Rule #2: Always double-tap?

In order to make them come on with the car I would get a relay activated with the cigarette outlet. Basically wire your fog lights directly to the battery. Then cut the positive write to them and add a relay where your 85 pin comes from the power to the outlet and your 86 pin grounds to the frame. Your 30 pin should come directly from the battery and your 87 pin should go to the fog lights.

this will make the fog lights turn on anytime the keys is in the acc position.. It when the radio is on. I'm sure there are wires you can use for your 85 pin from the tod or the air conditioner than will turn them on only when the car is running but splicing wires in those systems is asking for problems

Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Also, Rick, howcome you're missing Rule #2: Always double-tap?
    Sorry... double-tap is VERY important! LOL! The only reason I left it out is because I started with a smaller banner and didn't have enough room at the time (I was concentrating on the Rules that were the most "vehicle-related".) Then when the banner grew, I didn't put it back when I should have. Me dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    A bit pricier, but this route is ideal. I have a pair but have failed at installing them..... lazy. :|

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1003
    700+ Just for some Fog Light O.O Man I wish I had money to waste like that, lol.