Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fog/driving light replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Installed my 25 LED array "towers" last night.... wow... now THATS some lumens!

The LED towers are giving the primary headlights a run for their money for sure.. and tho they dont match up too badly, looks like I'll be doing a HID upgrade to the headlights sooner than i had expected.

Absolutely no fitment issues either. The LED upgrade is a no-brainier.
    So Grif I take it you order 2 from their website? Trying NOT to end up looking for a place to install an extra set.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So Grif I take it you order 2 from their website? Trying NOT to end up looking for a place to install an extra set.
    Mav- this is what it looks like (depending on how many LEDs yours have). So you'll need two.
    oh, p.s.....when you get access to the black connector part (shown in pic), do NOT clean the black gloppy greasy stuff off...that's to keep it watertight.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks Sue. So DID you buy the other set of HIDs from Bantan? I thought he had them priced about the same as ordering them new... or was I mistaken?

Thanks Sue. So DID you buy the other set of HIDs from Bantan? I thought he had them priced about the same as ordering them new... or was I mistaken?
    No, I passed on them. He didn't have much detail as to brand, wattage etc, plus they'd been installed and un-installed...I'd rather get brand new for Dave's FJ. May try the company Jack uses. I just looked up the 55W and they're only $65 with lifetime warranty! How can they be that cheap???

Sue,

I just bought a set for the Z from a small shop down here in Mesa... $65

so far, so good... and they do offer warranty/guarantee

will be going back soon to get a set for the VX... can't beat that price!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes VT_Mav, I ordered two from their website. I think you may be able to find the same ones cheaper, but I bought from them since their site was so informative i felt they deserved the props for the sale.

Yes VT_Mav, I ordered two from their website. I think you may be able to find the same ones cheaper, but I bought from them since their site was so informative i felt they deserved the props for the sale.
    I agree, autolumination.com customer service & help is first rate. I bought all my other LEDs for the VX from him. I even paid AZ sales tax (cuz his biz is in AZ), because he was so helpful. His name is "Chris" and his other website is superlumination.com.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I agree, autolumination.com customer service & help is first rate. I bought all my other LEDs for the VX from him. I even paid AZ sales tax (cuz his biz is in AZ), because he was so helpful. His name is "Chris" and his other website is superlumination.com.
    Yeah I agree, sometimes paying the extra $10 to keep quality suppliers in business is a good thing.

Sue - what other LEDs do you have on your rig?

Yeah I agree, sometimes paying the extra $10 to keep quality suppliers in business is a good thing.

Sue - what other LEDs do you have on your rig?
    I did the horn lights (in purple )
    Front fender triangular marker lights (amber)
    Rear fender marker lights (red)
    Dom light

Got them all from autolumination. I installed all them myself, except the horn, Dub did that in Moab when he was doing my HIDs, but he showed me where they go, I just couldn't manipulate the bulb w/o dropping it, so he did it.

I still want to do turn signals & brake lights, but they're more complicated, so I skipped it.

Think I'm going to order those 25 LED towers from them soon, then stop by jdm monkey's place and have him put in the dome light, horn, and license plate LEDs for me. The markers (front bumper, front fender, rear fender) would look great with LEDs, although I think they'd look even better with the blinker mod.

So installing white LEDs behind clear/white markers is pretty obvious, but is there an advantage to installing amber LEDs behind an amber lens? Or red behind a red? Seems like white LEDs could overpower the colored lens, but colored LEDs could be significantly darker...

Think I'm going to order those 25 LED towers from them soon, then stop by jdm monkey's place and have him put in the dome light, horn, and license plate LEDs for me. The markers (front bumper, front fender, rear fender) would look great with LEDs, although I think they'd look even better with the blinker mod.

So installing white LEDs behind clear/white markers is pretty obvious, but is there an advantage to installing amber LEDs behind an amber lens? Or red behind a red? Seems like white LEDs could overpower the colored lens, but colored LEDs could be significantly darker...

It works out OK putting red behind red/amber behind amber..I thought the same thing, but they're not any darker, just a little brighter.

Twisting off the front round makers 1/4 turn will likely be a bit rough since they've been in place for so long and have accumulated some crude. Smaller hands make it a bit easier to grasp the front lens, (let's see how did RickOKC describe his...scrawny girl scout twig arms) and using a rubbery type jar opener thing can help.

OK, all you highly skilled handy people, look away and don't read this paragraph.....
    Dome light was easily within my pay grade, just remove a little oblong festoon bulb about 1 1/4" long, Can replace with a flat wafer type LED bulb with the same type of ends as the festoon bulb...as long as the wafer part fits in the housing. I bought one that had 4 small LEDs within the glass tube of a festoon, but it wasn't nearly as bright as the wafer type with some higher power ones. It produces a great bright crisp white light, and you can angle the wafer to bias the light toward front, rear, center....(but entire cabin is still getting some light)

WAFER TYPE:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/32MM-...#ht_2647wt_909

LEDs WITHIN GLASS TUBE FESTOON:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-31m...ht_3525wt_1073

Pops in between the 2 pieces of metal with tension. I ended up using some small needle nose pliers to try to hold one end why I pushed/slid the other end up against the metal and get the tip into the small retainer hole. Word of advice...don't squeeze the pliers too hard or you'll bend/crimp/deform the metal end. But, happily, even after I goobered the metal end it still worked (and still works). I didn't get any electric shock BTW. It was a good day!

I like the bright LED dome lights so much, when I traded in my 4Runner, I took out both LEDs and reinstalled the OEMs....Dave laughed at me.
    Last edited by VX KAT : 11/01/2010 at 09:49 AM

Sue/All, I replace my dome light a while ago with a flat wafer LED array (for lack of a better term) and chronicled it here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...LED+dome+light There aren't any pictures of the actual bulb on the thread, but I could easily take a couple of anyone is interested. Due to the flat shape of the light array, and the fact that there are 9 or 12 (can't remember which) LED's it tends to throw off a lot of pure white light. Really lights the interior up at night.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Resurrecting an old thread since I'm about to buy a set of replacement fog light LEDs...

I'm looking at the Autolumination website here:

http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

...and specifically looking at the 25 LED towers (third product down). Everything looks good except that I notice the dimensions are 11mm diameter x 38mm, which is longer than the max that Grif mentions below. Can anyone confirm that these bulbs will work before I buy?

Thanks guys!

The Malibu bulbs i just installed from Home Despot measure .6in dia, x 1.4in long and fits EASILY in the lamp housings.

That equates to 15.24 millimeters dia x 35.56 millimeters long.

The bulb type is 194 (mainly refers to the type of connector on the base) So I go to an LED automotive light store and search to get:

http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

Most all of those LED's will fit our standard housing. Its quite a selection, but check the dimensions listed for each bulb to be sure. If its is smaller than 15.4mm x 35.56mm then it should fit beautifully. I have a set on the way that are pushing those dimensions a bit, will report back with results. I know its not a recommendation, but its good info to know and gives you a range of types and styles to look at.

You can check here for the approximate lumens for each bulb style there in order to determine relative brightness. http://autolumination.com/specifications_194.html

Hope that helps.

Mav- give me a minute to look it up, I bought many of my bulbs from autolumination, but I know the front round bulbs came from ebay (motoringmax)....but I still think I ordered some of those bulbs from him....
    In any event, I think I posted the length of the bulbs I got on ebay, and if I can find that post, we'll know if the 35mm will fit or not.
    Last edited by VX KAT : 01/19/2011 at 04:17 PM

Thanks Sue. I think the 11mm dimension will work fine, it's the 38mm dimension that has me concerned.