Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cladding Restoration...so Easy & Dope!

Man, that looks super sharp, and it really makes the black rims pop. Very nice work. You'll have to keep us updated on how well it wears, and whether/how often you'll need to re-apply.

Again. Lovely!

Mike -- thanks for pics, but to me your cladding didn't look much faded on the before photos either.

Please do post if the color changes in a couple of months -- I might do this next spring.

hiredgoon: thanks, i am really glad i chose the black to go with the wheels too... i will definitely keep u guys updated as far as wear n tear n longevity. honestly tho, it seams like it formed an infusion with the cladding, like they became one. it really is super solid. i don't think i will be having any problems at all. from all of my experience in the past with painting things, especially "iffy" things, i've found that the longevity and success is always a direct result of good prep work.

stangri: the pics make my cladding look really dark in the before pics, but they were really pretty light. there were swirl marks and water stains.... i'll keep u updated on the wear n tear. as for now tho, i'd say it's a no-brainer.

mile highvx: sorry i forgot to answer ur question before about the door jams. i am going to do them next week, weather n time permitting....

Nice lookin rig Mike! Good job!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Looks dope man...real dope.

Love the wheels!

Represent to the max!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

It looks great. I like the satin look to it. I didn't think I needed to do the cladding until I saw how good this looked.

Is there any UV protection in it? I wonder if the dark gray is closer to stock color? Not to start up the gray/black argument again.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Mike -- thanks for pics, but to me your cladding didn't look much faded on the before photos either.

Please do post if the color changes in a couple of months -- I might do this next spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike nomy View Post
    stangri: the pics make my cladding look really dark in the before pics, but they were really pretty light. there were swirl marks and water stains.... i'll keep u updated on the wear n tear. as for now tho, i'd say it's a no-brainer.
    It's hard to judge how faded your cladding was because you took the pics in the shade. Of course it's too late to rectify that now, but do you think you could take some new pics in the sunlight? That would be really helpful, as most cladding looks much more gray in direct sunlight.

Looks nice homey.

Quote Originally Posted by mike nomy View Post
    Scott: dope means cool, i guess. i don't know man i'm 33 n work with a bunch of younger dudes, so lingo catches on even if i use it as a joke...
    Whoa whoa whoa... I'm 31 and still consider myself one of those "younger dudes." Don't give up on youth yet, you'll burst my deluded bubble.

Hmmm; since the GaterBack Coating comes in three(3) different colors of various shades of gray and claims to be permanent-- it sounds more like re-labled regular gray-colored spray paint in a can.

Not for me. I'm sticking with the GM endorsed & approved TS-1 treatment wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Hmmm; since the GaterBack Coating comes in three(3) different colors of various shades of gray and claims to be permanent-- it sounds more like re-labled regular gray-colored spray paint in a can.

TS-1 is the next step for me if the 303 doesn't work out. Have you tried the TS-1 yet? If that doesn't work this seems like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa... I'm 31 and still consider myself one of those "younger dudes." Don't give up on youth yet, you'll burst my deluded bubble.
    hhahaha i will never get old! actually, i think i use the word dope the most around here lol.... i love using silly slang and fake words instead of proper english, but only cause i don't know the proper english! maybe it's just a NY thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post

GM actually endorses the gatorback, they use it for the Chevy Avalanche and Caddy Escalade....
    The TS-1 wipes are a temp fix, like a longer lasting Armorall.
    i wish i could upload an actual physical sample of my cladding so u can see the finished product. It doesn't look like a top-coat, but rather it seems to have infused itself with the cladding. Hard to explain, sorry. It just looks like it came this way, and that i have done nothing to my cladding at all

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    It looks great. I like the satin look to it. I didn't think I needed to do the cladding until I saw how good this looked.

Is there any UV protection in it? I wonder if the dark gray is closer to stock color? Not to start up the gray/black argument again.
    It does not say on the website, whether it has a UV protectant, but it is totally endorsed by GM. The dark grey is probably closer to O.G. look, but i figured the black would match my wheels better.....
    Go on their site, it is very informative. there is a cladding resto section, aswell as a section on other protectants that they offer.
    in the cladding section, there is an actual GM downloadable document, stating that gatorback provides extra longevity and fade resistance for cladding.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    It's hard to judge how faded your cladding was because you took the pics in the shade. Of course it's too late to rectify that now, but do you think you could take some new pics in the sunlight? That would be really helpful, as most cladding looks much more gray in direct sunlight.

Looks nice homey.
    Ok I did some research and found the original ebay listing pics from when i bought the truck...
    the rear bumper cladding was replaced 2 years ago, so it's pretty dark, but if u compare it to the side cladding from '99, u can now see exactly how badly faded the cladding was before i restored it.
    also, this stuff is definitely not relabled spraypaint. as soon as it is sprayed, it smells way different, looks different, settles different. it is available in 3 colors to accommodate for GM's different cladding colors.
    if anyone is in the NY/long island area and wants to come see and touch it for yerself as a third party witness, please contact me. i don't want to endorse anything that will not live up to the expectations that i have given it, but i do want to help everyone on the forum, so please come check it out....
    [img]http:

Looks good

Here:

Before

AFTER

Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!