Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Herculine hood and insert

FWIW, I have had my cladding off, I did break some clips, I never replaced them or the tape, and I have had no problems. No rattling, no crooked hanging...would save some time and money.

How about if someone did all the prep, and just dropped off the pieces ready for you to spray? If it isn't covered by the warranty anyway, shouldn't matter who does the prep. I would be willing to strip and sand my cladding/insert, drop it off and pick it up later. What would that run?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    My friend had his 1988 toyota truck sprayed with line-x. I remember the rear bumper cost $175 and the entire truck bed + tailgate (outside) cost $500. He removed and prepped both before bringing them to the Line-x shop.

I talked to the guy about spraying my cladding, he didn't know anything about a VX but said it would be $700-$1000 if i removed and prepped the cladding myself.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Or you can DIY. This guy used a Raptor/U pol kt that sprays on. Its also tintable for different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    How about if someone did all the prep, and just dropped off the pieces ready for you to spray? If it isn't covered by the warranty anyway, shouldn't matter who does the prep. I would be willing to strip and sand my cladding/insert, drop it off and pick it up later. What would that run?
    If you were to just bring in the cladding, no prep (we want to prep the plastic), the price with LINE-X with black Xtra (prevents fading and loss of gloss, fortifed with DuPont Kevlar) is $500. In my opinion, the cladding MUST be encapsulated meaning both sides of the plastic should be coated with LINE-X although the backside does not need to be thick or have a texture.

Keep in mind that LINE-X is more durable than the DIY products and will also be a thicker coating.

I have pics, but don't have my camera with me today, I'll post a few pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by LINE-X : 12/20/2010 at 12:33 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LINE-X View Post
    If you were to just bring in the cladding, no prep (we want to prep the plastic), the price with LINE-X with black Xtra (prevents fading and loss of gloss, fortifed with DuPont Kevlar) is $500. In my opinion, the cladding MUST be encapsulated meaning both sides of the plastic should be coated with LINE-X although the backside does not need to be thick or have a texture.

Keep in mind that LINE-X is more durable than the DIY products and will also be a thicker coating.

I have pics, but don't have my camera with me today, I'll post a few pics tomorrow.
    Do you want to do the whole piece to minimize the chance of peel off? Makes sense, more like a LineX shrink wrap

Do you want to do the whole piece to minimize the chance of peel off? Makes sense, more like a LineX shrink wrap
    Yes, that's correct. We cut up a drop-in truck bedliner which also is made of polypropylene (although all polypropylene's are not necessarily the same) and tried all sorts of things to test for adhesion. None of our tests results were what I would consider outstanding, so encapsulation is a way to decrease the chance of delamination.

OK, here are some work-in-progress pictures. When were finished, we will take some better pictures out in the sun.

Here, you can see that we applied some non-textured LINE-X to backside of the cladding. It's just enough to encapsulate most of the cladding.

Unfortunately, it was a heavy overcast day when we finished. Perhaps the owner can take some pics in the sun and post them?!

Looks good.

I want my whole truck done like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    No problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Yep,in army green, with the kevlar stuff, like the Dominator on Storm Chasers...

Interesting little tid-bit about LineX that we found out by accident:

It's radar transparent (at least in the band we were working in).

That doesn't mean that you can't be hit by police radar though, it'll still reflect off of the metal in the body.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Yep,in army green, with the kevlar stuff, like the Dominator on Storm Chasers...
    Funny thing about that Dominator: They had it sprayed with Rhino. During a storm chase, the Rhino failed and started tearing off. The stuff was just flapping in the wind.

LINE-X told them to go to a LINE-X dealer and have it done right!

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Interesting little tid-bit about LineX that we found out by accident:

It's radar transparent (at least in the band we were working in).

That doesn't mean that you can't be hit by police radar though, it'll still reflect off of the metal in the body.
    That's intersting because I was contacted by Raytheon regarding this issue. I don't know the frequency in question though.