Thread: Post-purchase questions (warning: photos)

Post-purchase questions (warning: photos)

Thanks to everyone who has answered my pre-purchase questions, now I have some post-purchase ones (with photos!).

1. How many remotes can the built-in keyless entry system remember? I've got the car with no remotes and had one remote linked to the car thanks to instructions linked/posted by VX_KAT. If I want to activate the second remote, will the first one be forgotten? Assuming the malicious previous owner still has the original remote(s) -- can they still use them?

2. I'm missing two little plastic clips on my car. First one holds the hood arm when not in use:

and the other one hides the screw which holds the side mirror in place:

Are they VX-specific or compatible with other Isuzu models and how do I go about getting them?

3. I also need the replacement plug which powers the rear view mirror:

Again -- is it the Isuzu or VX-specific part or can I get it online from non-Isuzu dealer? I've searched ebay for PED-15 plug and didn't find anything.

4. The external rubber gasket on the driver's door looks to be peeling and I'm concerned about elements exposure due to the gap -- am I the only one with this problem and is it worth getting a replacement part and is it VX or Isuzu-specific?

5. There's also some damage to the passenger-side headlight:

But I'm clueless as to how it could have happened -- any ideas?

6. The VX keys seem to be compatible with some Mitsubishi/Suzuki models -- has anyone transplanted the VX remote into any of the flip-keys for any other model? I really got used to the convenience of the flip-key with the built-in remote and would like to get the same with the VX.

7. That's actually my biggest issue and I almost forgot it -- when I put the car in D (drive) I have no indication of that on the dash -- any other gear mode has the proper letter highlighted on the dash, but not D. Could it be just a burnt bulb under the dash or is it an indication of the serious problem?

8. The passenger side side-mirror has the wrecked and glued together housing -- just the external plastic is damaged (so I can't fold the mirror), the motor inside works fine. Is it possible to find just the housing on the cheap and transplant the mirror/motor and internals or will I have to buy the whole assembly?

9. Finally I'd like to get the temperature gauge pictured below (apologies for blurry picture) in Celsius, any fellow VX owners across the pond want to trade or can help me source one?

Also a little tip I can share -- my car was already de-badged and it had the 4WD red letters in the grille section (which I hated), so I've got the VX logo from ebay for like $4. It's chrome-looking plastic letters and it's the Toyota "Plate, Back Door" part number 75441-60290, I forgot to take a pic but I will take and post it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by stangri
    1. How many remotes can the built-in keyless entry system remember? I've got the car with no remotes and had one remote linked to the car thanks to instructions linked/posted by VX_KAT. If I want to activate the second remote, will the first one be forgotten? Assuming the malicious previous owner still has the original remote(s) -- can they still use them?
    I know you can definitely have two remotes, but to be honest I'm not sure there's even a limit. As for a malicious PO, once you reprogram the remotes his won't work anymore. And you're right on the first remote "forgetting;" you will need to program both remotes at the same time. The alarm code "rolls" each time you press the program button just like a garage door opener, which is why you need to program them both at the same time.

i believe you can program up to 4.. i have 3 on mine right now

the tweeter screw covers.. good luck finding them! mine have been gone for quite some time, pretty sure the only way to replace them is buy the whole tweeter pod assembly.. you cant even see it when the doors are closed

the hood prop clip you can get off of any Isuzu.. mine broke 3 years ago.. never bothered fixing it, the prop doesnt go anywhere

our rear view mirror is pretty standard, i think older model sunfires (97ish) use the same mirror as us, so most pontiacs/GMs probably do as well. find one in a part yard, clip the plug off and splice in a new one, from the look of it you can probably fix yours, just take it apart (the gray piece comes out and the wires will release) cut the wires, you may need to get the wire ends, you can get them at pepboys, and put it back together

i think one or two others have had headlights damaged from transportation, there are good writeups on refinishing the headlights, just search

as far as i know, no options for a flip key with compatible remote.. im sure if you are willing to spend enough money you can find SOMEONE to make/program one

the D indicator light sounds like its probably just a bulb, the dash comes out easily with 7 screws and then the gauge cluster with another 4.. pretty easy to take out if you are a do-it-yourself kinda person, i dont remember off hand what size those bulbs are, i would guess probably a 74, or plastic screw in style. if you cant find the bulb, just take it out of your 2 or L.. most owners never use those gears anyway (except for me!)

I dont know if the JDM VXs came with auto climate control.. you may just need to get small stickers made/cut for that
    Last edited by etlsport : 09/28/2010 at 12:32 PM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    I dont know if the JDM VXs came with auto climate control.. you may just need to get small stickers made/cut for that
    I'm pretty sure the 97 and 98's came with the same manual control that our 99's have. The 175LTD edition JDMs may have had it (they got our leather seats) but good luck getting one of those owners to part it out for you.

The door seals are hard to get, I think our doors are unique to the VX. You might be able to get generic aftermarket or some other truck seal and cut to fit. I do have a VX at the yards by my house, headlights are gona as well as side mirrors and tweeter covers. but if you need other things let me know.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by stangri View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has answered my pre-purchase questions, now I have some post-purchase ones (with photos!).

I recall from the instructions I got, you can program up to 4 remotes, if you program a 5th, the first one gets cleared out.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Right, apologies I went dark for a while here, just kept forgetting to take a pic and didn't want to post until I do.

So the VX logos I mentioned earlier look like this:

And a little bit blurry close-up:

Now, regarding the questions I've had and few more I've got...

1. Programming -- I followed VX_KAT's instructions for programming of the second remote and now both remotes work. I didn't touch the first remote during programming of the second remote so my theory is that the security module memorizes the last 4 remotes used, it does not generate a new code/handshake every time a new remote is paired.

2. Rear view mirror plug -- I have tried removing the grey plastic side inserts -- it didn't help me removing the wires. They seem to be clipped to the metal parts in the plug itself. I will cut off the plug so I could have a better look at it in my apartment and as I have plans on putting a rear view camera monitor up there (or a rear view mirror with the built-in monitor) I will probably put the whole repair on hold for a while.

3. I need one of the screws which hold the spare tire door. Black preferably -- any ideas where best (as in cheapest) to get it?

4. I badly need instructions (ideally with pictures) on how to disassemble the dash so I could put the white metric gauges over the stock Isuzu ones.

5. My VX also eats oil. About a quart for 2000-2500 miles. I've never cleaned MAF or any other sensors which might make engine eat oil -- are there graphic guides on how/what to clean?

3. I need one of the screws which hold the spare tire door. Black preferably -- any ideas where best (as in cheapest) to get it?
    Merlin in St. Charles, MO

4. I badly need instructions (ideally with pictures) on how to disassemble the dash so I could put the white metric gauges over the stock Isuzu ones.
    Check the download section, it has the entire VX shop manual, the dash is VERY easy to take apart
    5. My VX also eats oil. About a quart for 2000-2500 miles. I've never cleaned MAF or any other sensors which might make engine eat oil -- are there graphic guides on how/what to clean?
    Eating oil seems to be the norm for our little beasties. Just keep an eye on it, I check every time I fill up with gas

9. Finally I'd like to get the temperature gauge pictured below (apologies for blurry picture) in Celsius, any fellow VX owners across the pond want to trade or can help me source one?
    If you do find a new one I will buy your old one

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Eating oil seems to be the norm for our little beasties. Just keep an eye on it, I check every time I fill up with gas

Welcome to the addiction.

As littlebeast said, check it every fill up. Several members have blown their engines, later finding out that it was out of oil. I feel lucky in that I don't lose oil, and I'm at 105k. For whatever reason, members either don't lose oil, or lose about the amount you're presently using. It doesn't otherwise seem to lose any performance or longevity, just keep an eye on it. Also, our PCV's tend to get plugged, and some claim that keeping these clean can help with the oil consumption. Others have installed breathers, though others say that's not a good idea. Use the search feature to find out more.

Once you get the plastic screw from merlin, get a dowel and glue segments in all four of the screws, and you'll never need another one.

I wouldn't worry about the missing illuminated D. When you change out the speedo, replace the bulb.

On this site, there is downloads of the full service manuals.

Your headlight had a run-in of with a stone tossed by a vehicle.

Marlin (yes, different from Merlin) likes to scour junk yards, he'd probably be able to source a mirror. I think these were the same as Rodeos. Troopers came with chrome versions of the same mirror. I'd probably talk to Merlin (VX knowledgable Isuzu dealer parts counter man), when you are getting some other parts, and ask him the compatible models and years.

JDM parts are really hard to find from what I can tell. I'd contact crotchrocket or petros, as they are active members abroad, and they certainly would know where to go. Ask them to get me a JDM fender mirror for me while you're at it. See what you can do, but worst case scenario I could probably help you out setting the type. You could then have it printed at a service bureau to film. You would either get clear on black, or black on clear. You could layer the black on clear film over a translucent white piece of plastic. The red and blue dots could be created as well, just matters how carried away you want to get with it. I've got an '01, so I have climate controls, and would need exact measurements to recreate this.

And you put a Toyota VX on an Isuzu? tsk. tsk. tsk.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

never mind, you have climate control as well. I could measure it from mine. It looked different, but I was thinking about my other car.

Speedo would much more difficult as it's white on carbon fiber. It would be difficult to change. I would probably go to an art store, and get some old school letraset rub off white lettering. I'd probably suggest going with a bold compressed san-serif face, similiar to the heater control numbers, with a little mark indicating the exact position.

Well, first, welcome to the addiction. You might read my post Zen and the Art of Headlight Polishing in the how to section if it is bad enough.

http://vehicross.info/modules.php?na...warticle&id=21
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    For whatever reason, members either don't lose oil, or lose about the amount you're presently using.
    Well, I don't know if it's the perfectionist talking in me or I'm being too cheap -- I just don't like the car eating oil (unless it's an M-series), but if many other people made their peace with it, I probably should too.

Marlin (yes, different from Merlin) likes to scour junk yards, he'd probably be able to source a mirror. I think these were the same as Rodeos. Troopers came with chrome versions of the same mirror. I'd probably talk to Merlin (VX knowledgable Isuzu dealer parts counter man), when you are getting some other parts, and ask him the compatible models and years.
    Since I don't want to take the damaged mirror off and afraid to mess up the properly working one, I just wanted to find out if I need the complete mirror assembly or if non-mechanic can safely transplant the mirror/motor, etc into the housing. I'm guessing the housing will be cheaper/easier to get.

And you put a Toyota VX on an Isuzu? tsk. tsk. tsk.
    Yep and I'm proud of it -- not only it has some sentimental value as my previous truck was a 3-door landcruiser, but I also like the thinner letters of my (well, Toyota's) VX logo.

Also, thanks for the idea with the printing place, but if I do change my speedo/tachometer to white metric one, I might as well cook the temperature label on some color printer and slap it on. Just waiting for my metric speedo to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    You might read my post Zen and the Art of Headlight Polishing in the how to section if it is bad enough.
    Oh, I sure did. The scratch is pretty deep on mine, I don't think any reasonable amount of polishing will help. When I posted the photo I was hoping the collective experience will give me some insight on how that damage could have been inflicted. Which I believe it did.

[QUOTE=stangri;208297]Since I don't want to take the damaged mirror off and afraid to mess up the properly working one, I just wanted to find out if I need the complete mirror assembly or if non-mechanic can safely transplant the mirror/motor, etc into the housing. I'm guessing the housing will be cheaper/easier to get./QUOTE]

Maybe but it will likely take much longer to find, and even then I can't see a junkyard letting you buy one without the other; they'd have to store the internal parts somewhere or they'd rust out in the rain, and I can't see a yard storing a part as obscure at our mirror internals.