Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Behind Front Cladding Winch Bumper Blueprint

Post Behind Front Cladding Winch Bumper Blueprint

With all the posts running around about people attempting to create their own winch bumpers I thought it might be good to take some pics with measurements to help out. From what I understand from SPAZZ and others it is no trivial effort to build one of these things, especially if you're trying to make it look nice from the exterior. I don't have it mounted yet as I'm still saving my pennies for the winch itself. It formerly had a Warn XD9000i low-profile winch mounted on it, but those things run $900-1000 new. For now I'm waiting patiently on (hopefully) a nice tax return and bonus in the spring.

Forgive the surface rust, I plan on blasting all that off and repainting it before I put it on. Oh and I'm pretty sure the passenger side attachment point got bent during shipping, so take that account when reading the measurements.

Have fun!

More pics + pics of it mounted from SPAZZ's gallery:

Nice pics, I am glad to see that my welds aren't the only ones that look like that

As for the winch, a lot of the Zu guys here run the harbor freight winch, being as it is less than 350 bucks, and comes from the same factory as the smittybuilt and mile marker winches. They even go so far as to repaint, and rebadge em. I personally used one on a rubicon, I thought it was a Warn the whole time, he added the wireless remote. Pretty cool, then he told me it was a rebadged generic. Nice. 20% coupons are routinely in the Sunday paper, and in Popular Science. They also have a matching hitch tray for 40 bucks.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the tip, that makes me feel a TON better! Wasn't looking forward to dropping that kind of ching. Think the HF winch is small enough to fit back there? Guess I need to compare the specs...

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Thanks for the tip, that makes me feel a TON better! Wasn't looking forward to dropping that kind of ching. Think the HF winch is small enough to fit back there? Guess I need to compare the specs...
    i don't see why not, the solenoid is separate, just check out the measurements. I have thought about the winch up under my bumper, that way it makes contact before the frame rails.

Great build, want to make another? It looks fantastic.

Too bad my state requires a front license plate. Is that a cigarette lighter power plug to the left of the winch?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Yeah right, there's a reason why I bought this from someone else, even if I had the tools I probably would end up cutting my arm in two or something. If I remember correctly SPAZZ said the plug was for the remote control.

That is an awesome mod. Besides the winching ability, you've strengthened the front bumper that could save the whole front end in a collision, and could save the car from the junkyard, by having an insurance company consider it totaled after a small fender bender.

Just wondering though, how is the handling with all that weight up front? I wouldn't be surprised if that mount and winch weigh close to 400lbs.

Not sure how much a winch would weigh, but I believe the shipping weight on the bumper was somewhere north of 100 (maybe even 150) pounds. Add that to the Kilby skid plates and eventually the winch and I bet you do get close to 400 pounds or maybe even a little over.

Besides the obvious aesthetic upgrade, this is the primary reason I'm considering a big brake kit when the rotors/pads need replacement.

winch?

what brand winch did you use? , or wich one do you recommend,I want to put it behind the bumper, thanks

I use an older(5years) harbor freight 5,000 lbs winch welded to a 2" trailer hitch bar. I just ran heavy cables and plugs so I can plug it in the front or rear hitch. I just used it it to unstuck? My 32,000lbs motor home. The only casualty was the wire cable, a couple of kinks and "meat hooks". I think the HF 5,000 is strong enough but look for synthetic cable replacement. The 6 and 8,000lbs are not that much more expensive, but are bigger and heavier.
    Mike

I never ended up installing it after I realized how much of the lower front cladding had to be removed. Ask VXorado, I think he's working on a winch bumper right now as well.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...t=23435&page=6

Quote Originally Posted by RallyDude View Post
    Great build, want to make another? It looks fantastic.

Too bad my state requires a front license plate. Is that a cigarette lighter power plug to the left of the winch?
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I never ended up installing it after I realized how much of the lower front cladding had to be removed. Ask VXorado, I think he's working on a winch bumper right now as well.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...t=23435&page=6
    If Y'all come up with a design that everyone likes, I can take it to Welder Guy & Iron Pig to get estimates on making copies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Looks sexy to me! I'd be interested!

If you could figure out a way to preserve the lower front cladding I'd be interested as well...