Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Survival kits

I am bored and bringing back an old thread. With current events, my family has formally begun building our **** hits the fan kit. We have 4 camping packs, all with waterproof liners that have the following evenly spread amongst them with some repeats. This prevents the loss of one pack from being the end of the world:
    This is all in addition to my wheeling stuff, such as the tools and spare parts. We are looking more at the 'we have to walk concept.'

Each member should have a hand gun, something relatively small, such as a 9mm, 380 etc. Right now, we are working on that. 250 rounds for each hand gun. A 45 would be nice, but its heavy and so are the rounds. I would rather shoot twice with a 9mm...
    My wife and I always wear watches that have built in LED flashlight and bracelets that have compasses and are made of about 16ft of 550 cord. Very cool gadgets.

We currently have:
    snakebite kits
    iodine
    hydrogen peroxide wipes
    aspirin
    cold meds
    pepto
    a few full size first aid kits
    bandages and whatnot
    Vaseline is a great additive, helps with chaffing and can act as temporary waterproofing for all kinds of stuff.
    One good knife per backpack
    lighters and magnesium strikers
    dyno flashlights as well as battery flashlights.
    Mylar blankets
    Sleeping bags
    2 small two man tents.
    Plenty of 550 cord.
    A few multitools as well.
    One garmin waterproof GPS with plenty of extra batteries.
    TP
    Duct tape
    Superglue (works on wounds as well)
    JB weld
    Benadryl is something to add for possible allergic reactions(poison ivy, insect stings) We have one tube of sun block, probably need more along with inspect repellant wipes.
    Wind up radio
    Waterproof two way radios
    Deck of cards
    Ponchos and extra trashbags
    hatchet
    machete
    soap
    I have lots of other junk,
    Extra socks and underwear. At least two sets, so one set can be drying at all times. I recommend the underarmor stuff, it wicks away moisture and dries very quickly.
    Tampons, for the wife and also convenient for first aid...
    Small cook stove with aerosol style fuel cans. Weighs about 5lbs total with 3 cans of fuel. In a nice waterproof case that can strap to the back of a pack.

We also carry a Mossberg 702 rifle with 550 rounds. Great for hunting small game and it only weighs a few pounds plus another few pounds for the ammo. A better investment would be the Henry Survival rifle, the whole thing fits into the stock of the gun, waterproof, floats...very cool at 200 bucks. We carry two gun cleaning kits as well.
    We have a Pur Scout class I purifier. This thing removes everything from water, bacteria, cysts, virus, metals and so on. We have two extra filters. Its pretty neat, it is super fast, has water bottle attachment and removes the necessity to carry extra water. You can fill a camel pack style bag in a few minutes. Says if you process raw sewage, you have to filter it twice, and you can only do a 100 gallons or so...lol.

need to get:

unlubricated condoms, great for waterproofing, carrying stuff, keep extra food fresh and so on.
    Quite a few of the 3600 calorie SOLAS approved bars. They are in little squares for ease of rationing. They taste alright,like a bland shortbread cookie, but better than dying and they have a ridiculous shelf life.
    Laminated topo maps
    Glowsticks are a nice idea, but kind of heavy and expensive.
    Benadryl is something to add for possible allergic reactions(poison ivy, inset stings) We have one tube of sun block, probably need more along with inspect repellant wipes.
    We also have a set of the spandex style under garments for all 4 of us as well. Great for winter, helps keep you dry, and very lightweight and small.
    Solar charger for radios/phones
    Nook or kindle with solar charger and a ton of free books(boredom and low spirits can kill a group)
    Wish I could get some of those morphine injectors for field use...

For the time being, all of our gear will fit in the packs, that we can hopefully just throw in the back of either the VX or Trooper RS. But worst case, you gotta be able to carry all your stuff. I have a lot of family with land in western missouri. Thats where we will head.
    I am sure there is other stuff I need, but this is a good start. Better to be prepared and not need it....

If you think of something else, feel free to post up so I can complete my kits.

The lists already posted are great, but seem to be more for short term, stay at home style survival. I am trying to be ready for the 1000 mile, long term hike to the wilderness packout.
    I know there are lots of other things I need, cookware, (figure tin cans will work well for this), cold weather gear, splints,
    I may have to add some dog rations, but they can eat scraps and what we can find along the way. Worst comes to worst, the dogs are expendable in the big scheme of things. I hate to say it, but thats the way it is.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Worst comes to worst, the dogs are expendable in the big scheme of things. I hate to say it, but thats the way it is.
    Well...I guess it's better than eating one of the kids...

Or any food you stored in a rubber...

you guys are all crazy, you know that right!! ??
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Or any food you stored in a rubber...
    Eeeewwwwwwwwwww!!

I don't know if I could eat the dog, well, actually, I could, but I wouldn't like it. Now the neighbors dog on the other hand...no problem. I had dog once, when I was over seas, not very good. That does not mean all dog is bad, I have had lots of bad steak as well, but eating dog kind of reminded me of duck for some reason, and I don't like that either.

CR, we are not crazy, we are prepared. There is a difference, afterall, if I never need the stuff, I am out a couple hundred bucks on the camping stuff. Everything else can be used normally.
    If I do need it, and I don't have it, that would suck. I don't see how that is crazy? Do you carry a tow strap in your VX when you wheel? Why not just plan to not get stuck? (With all that mud you guys have over there, I doubt that is possible...lol.) In the same idea, with all the Umbrella Corporation labs we have over here, the zombie revolution is just a matter of time.

Marlin, Your view of the necessities if the "stuff" hits the fan strikes home with me since I recently finished reading the book "The Road". It is about the situation you describe of taking care of family and what you can expect. If you start it you can't leave it alone till you know...

Being able to drive anywhere with a vehicle in that situation is not even a possibility. Your "we have to walk concept" is the one you have to plan for. If its just a matter of not being able to shop at the grocery store for a few days, thats no big deal except for the infirm.

Our survival plan is the same as our retirement plan:

2009 Coachman towing a 2000 VehiCross

We're only bringing the Coachman because it has plenty of cupholders
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin2 View Post
    Marlin, Your view of the necessities if the "stuff" hits the fan strikes home with me since I recently finished reading the book "The Road". It is about the situation you describe of taking care of family and what you can expect. If you start it you can't leave it alone till you know...

I just watched the movie saturday night, probably part of what is pushing my sudden interest Just got my Pur Scout in the mail today.

Being able to drive anywhere with a vehicle in that situation is not even a possibility. Your "we have to walk concept" is the one you have to plan for. If its just a matter of not being able to shop at the grocery store for a few days, thats no big deal except for the infirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    We're only bringing the Coachman because it has plenty of cupholders
    LMAO!!!

I took the boy shooting today. The mossberg out of the box at 25 yards, hitting bullseyes with no adjustments! We went through a little over two hundred rounds, no jams, no sticks, one bad round. Two kids in the lane next to us were using a similar 22 with a scope shooting shotgun shells on the ground at 25 yards. I waited for him to miss one, I picked it off open sights...lol. His friend gave him a hard time about that one There is a reason I have an expert rifle medal on my uniform

That gun is worth its weight in gold. My neighbor brought a lot of guns out as well. He brought a couple of various make handguns, lots of WWII stuff. He also brought out some old school flint locks, a MAC10, AR15, an old AK that fires .410 slugs, very fun. The kids had a blast and learned a lot about gun safety as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I took the boy shooting today. The mossberg out of the box at 25 yards, hitting bullseyes with no adjustments! We went through a little over two hundred rounds, no jams, no sticks, one bad round. Two kids in the lane next to us were using a similar 22 with a scope shooting shotgun shells on the ground at 25 yards. I waited for him to miss one, I picked it off open sights...lol. His friend gave him a hard time about that one There is a reason I have an expert rifle medal on my uniform

That gun is worth its weight in gold. My neighbor brought a lot of guns out as well. He brought a couple of various make handguns, lots of WWII stuff. He also brought out some old school flint locks, a MAC10, AR15, an old AK that fires .410 slugs, very fun. The kids had a blast and learned a lot about gun safety as well.
    Didn't I already read this somewhere?

Btw History International had a show on the other night about survival after the apocalypse. Really makes you think (and worry).

I played with the purifier this evening. Pretty neat. I filled the sink with soapy dishwater, filtered it, tasted fine. I will try a muddy puddle next time it rains. Very easy to use and light weight. Katadyn bought the rights to it from PUR a few years ago. PUR sold it for 79.95 by what the box mine came in says. Now it sells for couple hundred bucks, it even uses the same filter? Gotta pay for that name...

GO Bag contents

Small Knipex Cobra.

6 in 1 screwdriver

Cable saw

Metal and nylon zipties.

F4 tape

Handheld scanner

A fairly extensive first aid kit( a friend who is a nurse got me a few hard to find items)

Butane lighter.

Miniature hand crank light.

Thompson/Contender in 410

Supply of 410 shot, slugs, and buck. .45 LC also

Crazy glue - This is primarily a first aid item to replace emergency stiches

Potassium Iodide.

Copies of ID, insurance cards, and bank account #'s

Spare contact lenses and glasses.

Gold coins in 1 and 1/10 oz sizes

Folding multitool

Handcuff key

Spare keys for everything

A couple of locksmith tools - given time I can open almost anything

Sewing kit with kevlar thread

Saftey pins

Compass

Compact poncho

Solar blanket

Ceramic water filter and purification tabs. You can go a long time without food, but not without water.

A bunch of more common items. This all fits in a small gymbag.

John C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    GO Bag contents

Small Knipex Cobra.

6 in 1 screwdriver

Cable saw

Metal and nylon zipties.

F4 tape

Handheld scanner

A fairly extensive first aid kit( a friend who is a nurse got me a few hard to find items)

Butane lighter.

Miniature hand crank light.

Thompson/Contender in 410

Supply of 410 shot, slugs, and buck. .45 LC also

Crazy glue - This is primarily a first aid item to replace emergency stiches

Potassium Iodide.
    Great idea for the radioactive concept. Potassium iodide when taken in a significant dose prevents the thyroid from absorbing radioactive iodine, which will quickly kill you. We issue it to the R.A.T. (Radioactive Accident Team) in the Navy for the Nukes in the case of a nuclear accident response.
    Copies of ID, insurance cards, and bank account #'s

Spare contact lenses and glasses.

Gold coins in 1 and 1/10 oz sizes
    I prefer silver, gold is worth too much, and would be hard to barter in a worst case scenario, but I get the idea. I think ammunition would also be great currency.

Folding multitool

Handcuff key

Spare keys for everything

A couple of locksmith tools - given time I can open almost anything

Sewing kit with kevlar thread
    Another good idea for me to add to my kit
    Saftey pins

Compass

Compact poncho

Solar blanket

Ceramic water filter and purification tabs. You can go a long time without food, but not without water.

A bunch of more common items. This all fits in a small gymbag.

John C.
    Thanks for the info, made me think of a few things to add. I really want some morphine injectors, maybe some Epinephrine injectors. Some A-triple-pam-chloride would be nice as well (Helps prevent nervous system shut down during chemical attacks). I need to get some smelling salts too.

I just checked out vectran thread. Stronger than kevlar, 5 times stronger than steel, high heat resistance, and I have all of my bait needles I can stitch with. I am glad I know how to sew thanks to the Navy.