Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TOD Locking?

TOD Locking?

Hey guys,
    what's your experience with heavy offroading when it comes to locking differential?
    Does TOD prevent wheels from unnecessary spinning and is it really capable when you are in deep mud or snow?
    Ive seen some vids where all 4 wheels are not fully locked as one of the wheel was not rotating..

Thanx

This tread has some interesting information: How does tod work?

The TOD is not a locker, but by finessing the E-brake, you can get the limited slip in the rear to do some pretty good stuff offroad.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Good info on that link, thanx.
    So maybe it's good idea to put airlockers on all wheels if going heavy offroading
    Also interesting issue about E-brake usage for preventing futile spinning of the wheel, so E-brake locks both or just one wheel? I think it's both...

It works on both rear wheels and x2 for using it. I (knock on wood) have yet to have a "slippage" offroad using my truck, it stays in locked real good when we go out, a few people asked if it had a locker lol.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    It works on both rear wheels and x2 for using it. I (knock on wood) have yet to have a "slippage" offroad using my truck, it stays in locked real good when we go out, a few people asked if it had a locker lol.
    x3

I like the aussie in the front, with manual hubs. Aussie is less than 400 bucks from Indy4x, and fairly easy to install...if you are mechanically inclined. The ARB air locker is probably 3 times as much, if we can still get them for the 10 bolt front end. Plus install is no walk in the park.
    Depends how much wheeling you are gonna do.

I just as soon disable TOD, since I have manual hubs on front, and in 4lo TOD does nothing as the power is even split 50/50 all the time.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm with ya there Chris. If I keep the auto I'm gonna at least swap out the TOD case for a manual one then that opens ya up for the Revo gears, or if I do a full swap it'll end up with the MUA5 5-spd. Where I live there is no real advantage to the TOD, maybe horrible rainy conditions, but it'd be nice to be able to select 2wd or REAL 4HI.

I briefly considered gutting it and making it rear drive only, for the same reasons. I doubt the TOD has ever been engaged ever in mine. I have to remember to go on a shell road every year or so, just to stick it in low low for a mile or so. (I had the VX for maybe 4 years before ever used lo at all....it was tough to engage because of it....now doing it every year or so seems enough to keep it loosened up) 2WD makes more sense for me too

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I briefly considered gutting it and making it rear drive only, for the same reasons. I doubt the TOD has ever been engaged ever in mine. I have to remember to go on a shell road every year or so, just to stick it in low low for a mile or so. (I had the VX for maybe 4 years before ever used lo at all....it was tough to engage because of it....now doing it every year or so seems enough to keep it loosened up) 2WD makes more sense for me too
    TOD engages every time you drive over 5mph. Watch the green lights, if you stomp on it, it may even go higher than just the first bars.

other than the 5/95 or 10/90 split (or whatever it is nominally) It's never been in any low traction situations is what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    other than the 5/95 or 10/90 split (or whatever it is nominally) It's never been in any low traction situations is what I meant
    ohhhhh, my bad. I too would like an honest to goodness 4high. I am not a huge fan of drivetrain electronics, electronic lockers and so on. If you get em wet, or a bad electrical connection, broken wire, you are screwed. At least with manual stuff, you can always over ride something or rig something up, and it doesn't care about water

When the VX gets up to about 100mph the TOD computer splits the power evenly between the front and rear tires. Just saying ! Florida turnpike and all, you know .

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    When the VX gets up to about 100mph the TOD computer splits the power evenly between the front and rear tires. Just saying ! Florida turnpike and all, you know .

That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I don't plan on going that fast any time soon, especially with the tires I'm running. Still... intersting.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    mine has never done that .. you running 4 matching tires?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    mine has never done that .. you running 4 matching tires?
    Yes Sir, 4 matched tires . I had stock size highway tires , Now, I have slightly oversized off-road tires . I get the same result with either set off tires . Full lock around 100mph . I've done multiple pulls up to 100 and let off , then accelerated again back up , and every time it switches to an even split at around 100. I'm not sure exactly what speed it happens at, but I do know that it's north of 95mph.