Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilt engine!

Rebuilt engine!

Hi folks, I am new here and trying to find out more about VX as I am gonna buy one, my question is how reliable it is to buy VX with rebuilt engine provided it has just 7-10k miles on it? Thank you

As long as the engine rebuild was done properly AND you keep an eye on the oil level, you should be fine. One member has over 222 thousand miles in his VX and still going strong.

These engines can use/lose oil. It is highly recommended that you check the oil level every time you refuel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I used to have isuzu trooper '97 with 3.2 engine and it burnt about 1 quart of oil between oil changes, u r right these engines do like oil taste

& to make it worse, they don't use at a constant rate. At one refueling, the oil will still be full, at the next you may be down 1/2 quart.

I just was checking every 1k mile to be sure, otherwise engine was fine. It had over 200k when i sold it and no problems at all. But these engines are not good at fuel economy, 10mpg city and 15 hwy ...

By the way what's real MPG for VX? I've searched and they say it's 15/19, is that so?

That sounds about right.

1 quart between changes is NOTHING, mine uses about 5 but runs like a darn champ and gives me ZERO issues so I deal with it. And yes, I've tried to remedy it to no luck. I just hit 140K the other day
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    1 quart between changes is NOTHING, mine uses about 5 but runs like a darn champ and gives me ZERO issues so I deal with it. And yes, I've tried to remedy it to no luck. I just hit 140K the other day
    Damn dude, thats crazy.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ur VX is like a crack addick RamairZ!

Ram air z, you should try putting in a catch can off your PCV breathers. It doesn't fix anything, but I'm curious if your consumption is burned consumption, or forced ejection. Also, whats your oil weight?

I ran 10-30 the first change and 10-40 since. The thing runs like a damn top, no issues what-so-ever other than having to check my oil frequently (which I do anyways). I was averaging about 17mpg before the roof rack, lights and spare tire up top and even with all that I'm at about 15mpg, I'd say at 140K miles she's doing pretty good other than being an oil whore. I don't have a catch can on it but have been thinking about installing one just to see as well, I actually think I have one around here somewhere. I agree it's freaking crazy, it's probably why the guy sold it so cheap I just buy 2 jugs of oil when it's time for a change. I carry the 2nd jug in with all my other "tools" in the spare tire area.

I ran 10-30 the first change and 10-40 since. The thing runs like a damn top, no issues what-so-ever other than having to check my oil frequently (which I do anyways). I was averaging about 17mpg before the roof rack, lights and spare tire up top and even with all that I'm at about 15mpg, I'd say at 140K miles she's doing pretty good other than being an oil whore. I don't have a catch can on it but have been thinking about installing one just to see as well, I actually think I have one around here somewhere. I agree it's freaking crazy, it's probably why the guy sold it so cheap I just buy 2 jugs of oil when it's time for a change. I carry the 2nd jug in with all my other "tools" in the spare tire area.
    Your truck should have leakage or it just burns oil ? Do u note any spots on ground after parking?

I have a small leak but nothing that would cause me to go through 5qt's. I can run it all day, park it and get maybe a quarter to half dollar spot on the ground overnight. Being that it's a 99' and the common issue of burning oil in the early 3.5's I've settled on that it just burns oil. I'm surprised it doesn't smoke. Also seeing as I can run it for a long highway run (like my trip to Orlando last time) and no oil burning smell or anything but I have to check it when I fill up because it's gone down a bit. It goes hand-in-hand with the miles driven, doesn't matter if it's 3 months between changes or 2 weeks because of a long trip.

I can run it all day, park it and get maybe a quarter to half dollar spot on the ground overnight.
    Have you check it for leaks when running? what you describe there is a static leak, no oil pressure. Try running it parked with the idle up and see if you can see anything.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.