Thread: Roof rack

Roof rack

I want to take my rack off and repaint it. All the way down to the pieces that run the length of the truck. How much work is it to take these off, and what parts should I be carefull with so I don't break them. I tend to get in a hurry on long projects and that's when stuff breaks. So what's weak on the mounting parts and cross bars?

I know VXKat can answer...

The roof rails, the things that run down the length of the roof, are attached from inside the VX, so you'll have to pull the headliner out to get to the bolts. I'm getting some rust bubbles in my paint at the front of both of those rails and the thought of taking the headliner out to get the rails off to repaint it, is what stopped me from doing it so far.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Crap.

I wasn't looking forward to that much work!

I'm actually totally just skin deep......I'm only a "finder"..." a man that knows how to find stuff" (terribly botched quote from Shawshank Redemption)

But, I do know how find old posts too.....
    blujfan9293 recently listed his Proton for sale and it has a painted-to-match roof rack...perhaps you can ask him about the process...
    http://bn.craigslist.org/cto/1928959311.html
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...id=AT-110b1085
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Aaaahh, thanks.

The whole part that I have to take out the head liner seems like a lot, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I'm actually totally just skin deep......I'm only a "finder"..." a man that knows how to find stuff" (terribly botched quote from Shawshank Redemption)
    That quote is by Red - I thought you were Purple! Hey, if you won't give yourself more credit, I will! Kat has completely disassembled roof racks:

Cleaning/Restoring process for OEM roof racks

Kat, you never had found broken pieces on any of those racks did you? And didn't you refurbish several?

VehiCROSS Roof Rack Assembly Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Aaaahh, thanks.

The whole part that I have to take out the head liner seems like a lot, but not impossible.
    And while you're at it, it would be the perfect time to change out your factory rear speakers. (unless of course they are already changed)

It really isn't too bad... give yourself 30 min/side, and you'll be all good...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    That quote is by Red - I thought you were Purple! Hey, if you won't give yourself more credit, I will! Kat has completely disassembled roof racks:

Cleaning/Restoring process for OEM roof racks

Kat, you never had found broken pieces on any of those racks did you? And didn't you refurbish several?

VehiCROSS Roof Rack Assembly Manual
    LOL! I completely forgot that Morgan Freeman's character's name was red!!

The roof racks are very well built. I only found a broken piece once on a roof rack....the inner plastic molded "rails" on one end cap were bent from being jammed on with great force. I tried to get it straightened out but couldn't. Luckily I got one extra cross member with one of my purchases, so I swapped out the end cap. Another was missing the rubber strip so I cannabilized it again for that.
    (Always wondered where the heck the 2nd cross member was ..seller told me he had no idea, they were his room mates.)