Thread: 4L30E Transmission swap question..

4L30E Transmission swap question..

As I figure out my cost/benefit analysis of rebuilding versus replacing my transmission, I'm curious whether there is any inter-exchangability between a Trooper 4L30E (or honda passport) transmission and a Vehicross.

Do I have to have a 4L30E tranny from another Vehicross, or are there some options? Mechanic is telling me the shaft is shorter on the VX tranny, but would like to confirm and solicit suggestions.

Really would like to keep the vehicle running, rather than condemning it to a salvage yard (or trade in).

Thanks for any help on this!!

I thought we had

4L60E tranny

NOPE...

...we wish we had the 4L60E! It is a much stronger tranny.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

we wish we had the 4L60E!

Yeah.. that WOULD be nice.. Seems to be a more durable version.

Funny anecdote... Earlier this morning when I spoke with the shop owner doing my tranny flush, he mentioned that, although they hadn't yet dropped the pan, they had checked the fluid levels and they were fine and the ATF appeared fine as well. So he started pushing me to have the rebuild due to the P1870 normally being "fatal" and that were I to drive it, there may be no warning of a catastrophic failure. And he went on about the bearings being an issue in this transmission.... etc, etc.

I told him that I was doing the cost/benefit analysis and that I might just drive it until failure. And if it fails, just leave it on the highway for some lucky VX fan to find.. ;0) The point being I didn't want to appear desperate, and that I had options such as just buying another vehicle in the case of a transmission failure.

Which reminds me, it might be a good idea to renew my AAA membership.. ;0)

So when I picked it up this afternoon (described above), I started thinking.. the "smear" of oil and particles that he showed me was particularly dark (burnt).. YET, he had told me this morning that my fluid looked and smelled good (not burnt).

So, I have to ask myself, were those particles that he showed me actually from my tranny?? They very well may be NOTHING wrong with my tranny and the code could just be a false positive as it seems to have been since the last time I got it, some 6K miles ago.

And then about a hour ago, the shop owner calls me up and tells me that he "did the numbers" again on a rebuild and that he could probably do it for $2K (or $500 less than he had previously quoted me). So, either he thinks he can get me in there, then "discover" something more serious (more $$$), or he knows that there's nothing internally wrong with the tranny and he can bill his $84/hour labor and make $$$.

So here I sit, waiting for that P1870 code to flash up again, wondering just how much love do I have for my VX and what I'm willing to spend to keep her on the highway..

Which reminds me, it might be a good idea to renew my AAA membership.. ;0)

Dio

FYI for those that want a stronger automatic....the H3 auto or also the Cevy Colorado/GMC Canyon (4L60E w/5-banger) will bolt right up!!!! you WILL need the Hummer transfer case also though....which is available OEM with 4:1 low range....drivelines will be need to be modified.

some minor wiring will need to be done also...

Easy swap for sure....

Great info Allen...thanks! When mine finally lets go (I get the "slippage" code from time to time) that will definately be something I look into. I am sure by then the parts yards will have more than a few to canabalize. Stronger and the 4:1= ++!

Very Cool BigMeat!! So.. no TOD and alter the driveline?

At least that's another option.. If I must spend the money someday on a new transmission, an salvaged H3 driveline would be far more readily available.

Dio

Just looking at the for sales on the ol' net...used low mileage H3 tranny's and xfer cases are pretty cheap. Both can be had for under $1600!

My only concern would be the electronics on the transmission, the 4L60E is a completely different animal even though they use the same nomenclature (4L30E, 4L60E, 4L80E etc). If it is just a few connections then it's not a bad idea, but you could also use a 700R4 (early 4L60E) from behind the 2.8 V6 S10's and adapt a t-case or use a stock chevy case. A Planet member did this with his 3.2 and used a Dana 300 case with twin-stick shifters. The issue with this swap though is even with the small Dana 300 case, the tcase rested on the torsion bars just a tad, he had to cock the transmission slightly to cure this (drill a new hole in the crossmember and push the transmission to the side a tad to line up). If you used this tranny you'd have to fab up a bracket for the TV cable but that's pretty simple. Main advantage to that one would be no wiring really needed other than hooking in the speed sensor. You'd have to figure out the transmission wiring on the 4L60E from the H3 and also the tcase wiring (since they use a push button system)
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread