Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My first car

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    All the cool kids camp Tom!
    All us rich kids RV or motel it.
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
    Which brings up the question of "can the VX be flat towed or need to be trailered"??
    Only I can ... I'm special.

I bought Travelin2's set up whenever he sold his VX. You can find his old threads where he went into detail of how he got'r done.

Basically, I have lockout hubs up front to disconnect the front wheels & a driveshaft quick disconnect for the rears. I'm freewheeling when towing except for the rear pumpkin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Only I can ... I'm special.

I bought Travelin2's set up whenever he sold his VX. You can find his old threads where he went into detail of how he got'r done.

Basically, I have lockout hubs up front to disconnect the front wheels & a driveshaft quick disconnect for the rears. I'm freewheeling when towing except for the rear pumpkin.
    Oooh, mucho dineros! Maybe cheaper to rent a trailer and less trouble for me.

Wasn't an option for me. U-Haul wouldn't let me put my VX on one of their trailers because of the offset (my tires touch the side walls).

Actually, the conversion shouldn't be too bad if you know someone who can fix driveshafts. The disconnect kit was for a Ford Exploder. The hubs can be sourced from a Trooper or bought new for not too much.

EDIT:

Here's the linky for how Travelin2 did it:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16488

& to answer Marlin's question in that thread: Yes, the disconnect can disengage whilst driving ... but only if you let Boy go wheeling in it & he buries it to the frame & the throw lever gets bent to sh1t & he doesn't tell you & you are 200 miles from home & tools when it happens. Luckly, I was able to just twist a cupla things outta the way and re-engage it by hand.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 10/10/2012 at 02:10 PM

another year! Just passed emissions too. I have the driver's door panel off due to a broken window regulator that I fixed earlier in the fall. I need to make a new vapor barrier and replace the speaker and it will go back together. I need to replace a fog light bulb, service the transmission and replace the ABS sensor on the passenger side and it should be good to go! New tires are in its future. Such a fun car!

PS, I just got to looking at the Moab thread via a link from the planet and its only 1600 miles, 1800 if I stop in Dallas where my brother lives. That'd be a good 2 day trip! (there)! Thinking....

Another year has come and gone... I tagged along to Beasley Knob last year with the folks on the Planet. Had some difficulties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyXeRjqam0

Turns out the loose front right axle, where the clip came off, finally caught up with me.

But that wasn't the end of it. I am currently battling an annoying popping sound in the front end under load, when it engages the TOD or when I put it in 4wd. I have replaced both CVs. It has been sidelined as of late due to too much going on. Still need to figure it out though!!!

Hopefully I'll have it back on the road before long...I have to pass emissions before the end of the month!!!

14 years!!!

15 years this week!

I replaced the CV axles and put in good drive flanges. The popping persisted. I yanked the front drive shaft and now have a 2 wheel drive VX. Not ideal, but its drivable again!

15 years!

16 years! I've had it longer than I haven't!

It also received a sibling in a 1996 Rodeo right before Christmas

17 years now!

Congratulations! Did you get the popping figured out?

Quote Originally Posted by arcobarco View Post
    Congratulations! Did you get the popping figured out?
    No I haven't. I have been driving it without the front driveshaft, so it hasn't been popping. Eventually, I need to get into the front diff and see if it is the problem or if its in the transfer case.

21 years today. It was supposed to go to an indoor car show this weekend to get displayed. Show got canceled due to Covid. Good thing that it was canceled because I tested positive Saturday.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Hope all goes well for you...I'll be praying for you man.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up