Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap upgrade for Rodeo

Cheap upgrade for Rodeo

Alright, my in-laws are in town, visiting from Dallas. We had to take the Rodeo to show them around Oregon this weekend, and I have to say... it corners like a slug!! Man, I dreaded having to drive that thing. It's not bad for in town use, but stock, this thing is not fun to drive on long trips. Power is not great, and cornering... I may as well tell everyone to go ahead and slide into each other in the back seat because the turning side becomes slush on every turn 30mph or above.

My question... anyone here happen to know the correct bushing sizes for the swaybars? I want to at LEAST replace these to give it a bit better cornering ability. I searched the trail talk boards, and found someone mentioned 1" front, 3/4" rear on their late model Amigo, but no mention of a late model (2000) Rodeo. You can find them pretty damn cheap ($9.95 a set on JCWhitney.com), but I just want to make sure I'm ordering the correct size. After this, possibly shock replacement and/or springs... whatever I feel like doing. I don't drive it often, but when I do, I feel out of my element.

IMHO, I would replace the shocks first. They are probably worn already anyway.

As a fellow SC VX owner I assure you that just bushings will not appease your quest for decent cornering, Much better to swap in a set of Calmini bars instead.

John C.

Let me state that, in the 3 years that my wife has owned this Rodeo, it stays on the road 100% of the time. Also to note, in the past year, the Rodeo has probably been driven a total of 400 miles TOPS. Before that, it was driven to work and back, and I would drive us in the VX on the weekends. I would doubt the stock shocks are worn, even though they suck none the less.

Nothing WILL appease me when it comes to the Rodeo, but I won't drive it much if at all.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    Adam,

Since you're asking for X and getting Y... I thought I'd be a smartass and give you the same thing, Y.

http://www.pureisuzu.com/98-2001_3_lift.htm

It'll take care of your handling issues and man... you'll have your very own mini monster truck to intimidate the block with. You'll be able to crush all the junkers that show up to visit that house across the street for 5 minutes at a time.

And look! You can get a really cool looking bumper too!

http://www.pureisuzu.com/winch_bumpers2.htm

Yeah, yeah... I know. Some people... ask for X and they give you Y.

Seriously though... I thought I had found something earlier today on Energy Suspension's site but it was for the older Rodeos. They may have something that might work... if you know the diameter of sway bar. Got a caliper if you need one to find the diameter.

Universal swaybar bushings: http://www.energysuspension.com/swaybb.html

What about dropping it 2"-3", and putting some fat ***** 20"s on it... that'll make it corner better I bet!

All kidding aside, my wife takes public transportation (big in Portland, and free to Corps employees), so she RARELY drives. When I say rarely, I mean maybe once every few months... MAYBE. This trip through Oregon with her parents is the most driving the Rodeo has seen since our trip up here from Dallas back in November of last year. And before that, it was driven to work and back, and that was it. It's a 2000 and has about 24k miles on it.

I looked on Energy Suspensions site as well, and saw they had a set for the older Rodeos. If I could just find out what diameter the swaybars are, it would be a piece of pie... cake, piece of cake. I'll just post on Trail Talk and see if someone can let me know. I know this is a VX board, so I didn't really expect anyone to know off hand (unless they have modified a late model Rodeo, or something with similar swaybar dimensions).
    Last edited by Dallas4u : 09/03/2003 at 09:37 AM

You know... you could trade the Rodeo in for that other car you were talking about. The other car would handle so well, you'll be disgusted with the VX. Unless you're one of those who insist the VX is the greatest thing in the world, can tear it up at the track with nitros and outhandle a 350Z.

Shhhh... don't tell others that I've been looking at something else. I'll be crucified!

Besides, my wife has put the kabosh on that idea right now.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Oh Adam....

the fireworks would really begin!

I would start that ;eekr; .... poll I've been threatening to start... ;eekr;

;Dr;
    Last edited by Anita : 09/03/2003 at 04:27 PM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

The poll would actually be interesting to see, but I want YOU to be the one to post it!
    Last edited by Dallas4u : 09/04/2003 at 11:00 PM

She said "pole".

Adam: so no one makes a swaybar kit for the 2000 Rodeo? If body sway is bad, I don't think bushings alone will do it. Maybe that's a way to sell the idea of trading it in? Crucified? Nah... you'll just be called bunch of names by people who never resort to name calling. Right.

Let me clarify my post.

when i said Calmini bars, I was refering to sway bars instead of just doing bushings. I thought the VX and Rodeo had same front and rear suspension. I would think the say bars they make for the VX would fit the Rodeo.

I did not mean to imply that you should build an offroad tonka truck.

John C.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Originally posted by paultvx
    She said "pole".

Okay , okay I fixed it. Not enough sleep lately........:zzzr:
    Last edited by Anita : 09/03/2003 at 04:31 PM

Beavis and Butthead humor... sorry.

Originally posted by paultvx
    She said "pole".

Adam: so no one makes a swaybar kit for the 2000 Rodeo? If body sway is bad, I don't think bushings alone will do it. Maybe that's a way to sell the idea of trading it in? Crucified? Nah... you'll just be called bunch of names by people who never resort to name calling. Right.
    She won't trade it in. She thinks this is the last auto she'll ever own. If it floats her boat, then it's fine with me. I just want to make sure the next time I have to take it on a long trip that I don't have her hissing and moaning everytime I want to take a corner at over 35 mph. I'm thrown her parents all over the place in the back seat, and she's being thrown against the window. It ain't fun. Plus, it has the typical "look at me, I'm rugged" brush guard on the front... my fault. She liked it, I bought it and mounted it for her.

Ah the things men do for love.

You know... if swaybars aren't available, shocks will probably do the trick as they affect handling the most... in which case, I'd go with the Rancho RS9000 so you can fine tune it according to the Rodeo's handling dynamics. I still can't believe there aren't any aftermarket swaybars for that thing... the Rodeo has far more aftermarket support than the VX.

Come 2006, if I have $ then, I know what I want...

http://vwvortex.vortexmediagroup.com...icle_172.shtml

Remember I said before that there really aren't anything new out there that I feel I have to have? This thing changes things a bit... I can just see a Garrett T4 turbo mated to that 32v VR6 with DSG and direct injection. Having owned a 12v VR6... that's a fantasic motor I would not mind owning again.