Thread: Power steering pump going out?

Power steering pump going out?

Lately (especially when at low speed or near stationary) it has become harder to turn the steering wheel and I can feel the steering wheel sort of pulsing.
    And FYI my mechanic removed a wire from a PS pump pressure sensor to fix a high idle prob a couple months back.

What say you all? Is my pump going out?

I'd say your choice of mechanics needs to change. Putting a band-aid on a problem instead of fixing whats actually wrong is not a good way to do business. I'd take it to another shop and tell them the story. If they can't figure it out, keep shopping around until you find someone who knows what they're doing.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Ascinder, I see your point but he knew that my position at the time was to stay frugal, and he also knew of the potential of the possible "band aid" because I told him about it. In his opinion there would be little or no detrimental effect by removing the wire. Wise or not, thats what he chose to do and I accepted it, and it worked great.

So.... critiquing my mechanic aside, Are these symptoms of my pump going out?

It sounds like maybe your pressure sensor not being hooked up is making it so the pump isn't maintaining pressure or is releasing it erratically, hence the pulses and the low output. Have you simply tried hooking the sensor back up to see if it fixes it? It seems extremely suspicious to me that he unhooks the power steering pressure sensor, and now you're experiencing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Have you simply tried hooking the sensor back up to see if it fixes it? It seems extremely suspicious to me that he unhooks the power steering pressure sensor, and now you're experiencing problems.
    No I haven't tried hooking it up again. I'm not even sure where it is. Regardless I'm not looking forward to running 2000RPM's at idle again.

Besides, this problem only manifested itself a couple months after the "idle band-aid". Not like it showed up immediately.

I assume you have checked the power steering fluid level??
    Low fluid could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

If fluid level is ok, I think you are correct in thinking the pump is fubared.

Most likely, the pressure sensor was trying to tell you that months ago, and by ignoring that, the pump is now totally stuffed.
    No real damage done, as the cost of a new pump is the same anyway.
    Some small risk that the steering will suddenly become very heavy while you are driving, so be careful.
    If you have never driven a car with broken power steering, it is heaps harder than driving a car with no power steering.
    Cars with no power steering are made to be driven that way.
    A car with power steering is set up to drive with the power steering working.
    When broken, you need arms like Arnie used to have.

Good luck.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Grif,

I may have a used pump for you. It came with the steering box I got from RamAirz to replace the sector shaft that got trashed in my accident. The steering box was in good shape but I have no idea of the functional condition of the pump. Send me a PM if interested.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

PM sent

Thanks LilBeast, but I already autozoned it. And PK, thanks for your input as well.

Thats why I love this place.