Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: caliper covers

caliper covers

These caliper covers were mentioned in the Detroit free press. There website is http://www.calipercovers.com. What do you guys think? Looks like they are located in San diego.

I think

They do not even have Isuzu as an option therefore a waste of money

Looks like a piece of Dollar store pie plate you screw on your caliper to make it shiny. That being said, if you want bling, buy the real thing. You could probably find some Brembo, SSBC or Wilwood calipers that would fit with a couple phone calls.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Just wondering if are calipers were on any other vehicles. If not , someone who is near San Diego could drop by the place and check it out and see if something is close to our size.

I don't know habs I have to agree with Ascinder on this one - you get what you pay for, and I would have to think that superficial covers would eventually come apart, chip, peel, etc. If you get the real thing from Brembo or whomever else the caliper should be anodized, which means that it won't flake. More expensive for sure, but a better investment IMHO.

They are big, and big means more to clean. I have Brembos and even those are a pain to keep clean, squeezing all between the wheel spokes to get to them. Keep that in mind too. Even though they would cover that ugly eye sore of an OEM caliper (face it, ours aren't pretty), a dirty cover would be just as bad.

In all, I won't knock the covers. Sure is cheaper than a big break kit (just ask me, I just dropped $$$ on mine) and isn't as ugly as the fugly calipers we have. Doesn't look like they have an ISUZU fitment though. Not sure if there is a same or close fitment to other makes.

Also, guys, I think you fail to see the price diff here.... Brembo vs these things? C'mon. That's KIA vs Ferrari.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Sure is cheaper than a big break kit (just ask me, I just dropped $$$ on mine)
    for your VX??
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    for your VX??
    Yes. Not Brembos though. Sorry, poorly worded. "brake kit" it should read, not "big brake kit".

I got all new OEM calipers (2 rears were seized anyways) all the way around with PowerSlot slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, and steel braided lines. Looked into Brembos though and the shop I go to would have been happy to do them (actually got a good deal on some used goldies from a friend's G35 since he changed his out) but they would not clear my Enkei wheels.... and I didn't wanna drop more $$$ on wheels or get spacers (hell, already sitting on "0" offset) just to have them fit.

They are big, and big means more to clean. I have Brembos and even those are a pain to keep clean, squeezing all between the wheel spokes to get to them. Keep that in mind too. Even though they would cover that ugly eye sore of an OEM caliper (face it, ours aren't pretty), a dirty cover would be just as bad.

In all, I won't knock the covers. Sure is cheaper than a big break kit (just ask me, I just dropped $$$ on mine) and isn't as ugly as the fugly calipers we have. Doesn't look like they have an ISUZU fitment though. Not sure if there is a same or close fitment to other makes.

Also, guys, I think you fail to see the price diff here.... Brembo vs these things? C'mon. That's KIA vs Ferrari.
    Yes. Not Brembos though. Sorry, poorly worded. "brake kit" it should read, not "big brake kit".

I got all new OEM calipers (2 rears were seized anyways) all the way around with PowerSlot slotted rotors, EBC greenstuff pads, and steel braided lines. Looked into Brembos though and the shop I go to would have been happy to do them (actually got a good deal on some used goldies from a friend's G35 since he changed his out) but they would not clear my Enkei wheels.... and I didn't wanna drop more $$$ on wheels or get spacers (hell, already sitting on "0" offset) just to have them fit.
    I had the Brembo calipers, rotors, and pads on my '03 G35 Coupe, and trust me I well remember regularly splitting my knuckles to clean between the spokes, as well as the ridiculous price for replacement pads and rotors. But they were bad-@$$ looking, and you could trade out the Brembo rotors and pads for much cheaper Hawk products that worked almost as well. What did you do with those G35 calipers? I'd love to see if they would fit behind my Borbets...

Maybe paint your calipers with some high temp caliper paint? It does help to pretty them up a bit, but you still don't get a fancy name on them (Brembo). I painted my calipers a few years ago and it's holding up well with no chipping or flaking.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Caliper paint is certainly a good option. I'm not all about the fancy name, you just have to admit that this looks better than our OEM calipers:

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

O M G...

Caliper envy rears it's ugly head...

Good god! $200 for just covers! I clicked a Scion Tc as that is what my wife drives now.

Mine are painted red and it looks nice. It has a lot of trail rash though and needs to be touched up or re done.

I think if I was going to use covers I'd do this for $140 less:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/reddicaco.html

Lightbulb I dont get it

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I think if I was going to use covers I'd do this for $140 less:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/reddicaco.html

They have a price for the front and a price for the back if you order both sets you pay an extra $25?