Thread: lower intake

lower intake

Anyone know a place to or have a spair lower intake for a 99 Vx. Or if it is the same as a trooper or another car so I can maby check a junk yard. Thanks adam

Quote Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    Anyone know a place to or have a spair lower intake for a 99 Vx. Or if it is the same as a trooper or another car so I can maby check a junk yard. Thanks adam
    Lower intake? Not sure what that part is, if you are talking about the airbox and hose, I have that, 40 bucks plus shipping if you want it, even comes with a dropin K&N filter

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Part number 8971318918 is the intake manifold. Also is 255 a lot just 4 labor?

A lot of places bill shop labor around the same as the retail cost of the parts being replaced. That being said, I assume you are talking about the lower portion of the intake manifold. You should be able to go onto car-part.com and find one from a similar model year 3.5L trooper or honda passport and I think there was an acura suv that used the same engine too. Our engine code is 6VE1 so look for that when you're searching. Local auto parts places like pick and pull are likely to have them. What exactly is wrong with it that it needs replacing? If it's cracked or leaking, a good shop should be able to repair it themselves.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Adam, that part # is for the entire common chamber and is ~$400 new. Is it cracked and totally FUBAR or do ya just need a new gasket? We share the same inlet manifold with any Amigo, Rodeo, Trooper, or Honda Passport, '98 and up, 3.2 or 3.5L. Should be easy enough to find used.

Do a search using 8-97131-891-8, which replaced our VX #8-97131-891-7.

Mark

thanks for the replys, my mechanic now says to hold off on the manifold because it might be the thermostat housing. ill keep you posted

man its hard to find a good mechanic out there, i was 2 clicks away form buying the manifold

Its probably 4 hours labor to swap the lower manifold. If you have it off you should replace the thermostat anyway.

Anyone who installed a SC has a spare manifold gathering dust.

John C.

Be careful with the Trooper manifold - the 3.2L takes a smaller, square TB.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    Be careful with the Trooper manifold - the 3.2L takes a smaller, square TB.

-- John
    That's why I put " '98 and up" in my post. That eliminates all the old engines. All '98+ Troopers had the new 3.5L and all '98+ 3.2L engines have the same manifolds as the 3.5L.

Mark

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

thanks for the replys, my mechanic now says to hold off on the manifold because it might be the thermostat housing. ill keep you posted

man its hard to find a good mechanic out there, i was 2 clicks away form buying the manifold
    I'd be gettin' ready to RUNN if a mech told me I needed an intake, then said "well, maybe it's the thermo housing"... WTF?

Though most of the same stuff has to come off to do either.
    Also, there are some O rings that seal the thermo housing & hard pipe which comes off the back side, that feeds the heater core.

What are your symptoms? At the rate this guy is diagnosing the problem, it could turn out to be blinker fluid...

pressure tested my antifreeze leak and looks like its comming form the housing or manifold. also looks like a leak form the back which he said hopefully its leaking form housing and running back or theres something in the back where tranny has to come out to fix that leak

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    pressure tested my antifreeze leak and looks like its comming form the housing or manifold. also looks like a leak form the back which he said hopefully its leaking form housing and running back or theres something in the back where tranny has to come out to fix that leak
    There is no way he should have to pull the tranny...not for a coolant leak...

I see in the other thread that you got your manual to work...

Find a view of the cooling system/thermostat for a better idea of whats going on under the intake.

There are heater hose(s) that are fed from/or return to, the back side of the thermostat housing.

There are at least two heater hoses that run under the intake (a dumb design IMO) that could potentially have leaks, or it could be the O-ring into the back side of the thermo housing. Could also be the O-ring that seals the thermo housing to the block.

Have your guy look under the intake with a mirror/flashlight while the system is under pressure for a better diagnosis of the problem...

If you do end up having to pull the intake, (& it sounds likely at this point) make sure to replace the intake gaskets & don't let him torque them to any more than 13 ft/lb. (revised Isuzu spec)

These seem to be an improvement over OEM, though I haven't personally used them yet.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...14&postcount=4

ROCK PRODUCTS Part # IG353
    DOHC; Int. Gasket

Last edited by Ldub : 08/25/2010 at 05:03 AM