Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: The last CV you'll ever need....maybe

No hate. Wikipedia has some fairly good write-ups on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV_joints

What it boils down to is that U-joints are simpler and stronger but have 2 limitations:

1. The joint requires scheduled maintenance
    2. The 'drive' shaft and the 'driven' shaft must be parallel or a vibration will be introduced.

CVs are more complex (expensive) and not as strong. Additionally, they also have a weak link ... the boot. As long as the boot remains intact, the CVs require no maintenance. The main benefits are:

1. The 'drive' shaft and the 'driven' shaft can be at any angle in relation to each other (that's why you find them on front wheel drive cars - the compound angles introduced by suspension travel and steering).
    2. They operate smoothly so do not introduce any vibrations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

The VX goes in the shop tonight to have the rebuilt half shafts installed. I would've installed them myself but this way the insurance pays for the rebuild. WooHoo, 4WD here I come.

I sent an online message to RCV with no response. I'll try calling them today & get the new guy's email addy & try that route.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    1. The joint requires scheduled maintenance
    2. The 'drive' shaft and the 'driven' shaft must be parallel or a vibration will be introduced.
    It is not that they have to be perfectly "parallel" to each other, it is just that the angle on the pinion at the transfer case has to be equal to the pinion angle at the differential at cruising/highway speed (in relation to the driveshaft). You normaly have to account for about 1-2 degrees of rotation of the differential (I think thy call it "loading") for both pinion angles to be equal at speed. This is why you need pinion angle adjustment after lifting or you will get drivetrain vibration. My next purchase will be adjustable lower links so that I can adjust the angle of the pinion at the diff to be equal to the pinion angle at the transfer case, because after lifting the angle at the transfer case has increased yet the pinion angle at the diff has in fact decreased (since lifting rotates the pinion at the transfer case to be less in line with the driveshaft, and rotates the pinion at the diff to be more in line with the driveshaft). Only other answer would be to have at least one joint on the rear driveshaft be a CV joint:

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    My next purchase will be adjustable lower links so that I can adjust the angle of the pinion at the diff to be equal to the pinion angle at the transfer case,
    Don't forget the adjustable upper link, to make your adjustment complete.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Don't forget the adjustable upper link, to make your adjustment complete.
    Yeah I have debated that one, but really only one "needs" to be adjustable. I would just get the adjustable upper link but adjusting that one to correct the angle would pull the rear tire even further forward in the wheel well, so I am going with the lower adjustable links and just having the upper link extended by a local welder slightly, like maybe 1/2" - 1" on top and I will have to adjust the bottom at least 2" longer probably.

Interesting reads:
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OperatingAngle

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ft/index2.html

This is why we have vibrations after lifting :-)

Ryan,

This is good info. Haven't completely read through everything yet, but I did see mention of resetting the pinion angle. I seem to remember someone (or two) having their rear diff "explode" after they reset the angle of the diff to try and help out with some driveline vibration issues (was it Bimati?). I'll have to check, but does resetting the pinion angle on the VX's rear end cause problems in the diff? Do they need to stay at the factory set angle?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless