Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The last CV you'll ever need....maybe

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    Alan (bigmeatvx) exploded his at Moab. He said his cage exploded if I recall correctly
    Yes my cage (that holds the balls in place) blew in half as well, I have pictures around here somewhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Billy, You do not need to dissasemble the diff to get out the stub axles...It is a real pain in the ***** though...you need a tiny pair of snap ring pliers to get the two snap rings and they slide right out after removing the 4 bolts holding the bracket to the axle housing.
    .................................................. ...............................................
    I think that is what Billy was refering to. You need to basically drop your diff to slid shafts out, you do have to remove the diff brackets, which includes the 4 bolts you are referencing and the 2 bolts that hold the diff bracket to the frame per side. Then they slide out, but not before your diff is sitting on the floor This is the part that most people do not want to do, so by "dissassemble the diff" I think he meant drop it out of the VX, which yes you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I think that is what Billy was refering to. You need to basically drop your diff to slid shafts out, you do have to remove the diff brackets, which includes the 4 bolts you are referencing and the 2 bolts that hold the diff bracket to the frame per side. Then they slide out, but not before your diff is sitting on the floor This is the part that most people do not want to do, so by "dissassemble the diff" I think he meant drop it out of the VX, which yes you have to do.
    I NEVER have had to drop my diff to the ground, to get the stubb axles out, EVER...in fact, I say, it would be a struggle to get the diff out before removing the axle shafts.

It can be done with the diff still hanging in the VX....a pry-bar and patience is needed though.

Ascinder,

I've got the dana 44 center section, the Toyota hubs and brakes...The CV shafts are next on my list...this has been on hold for the last month though...

Is it too late to talk you out of SAS?

Waaayyyy too late, lol. I've already removed almost everything from the VX and I've hacked most of the way through those A-arms brackets. Also, there is no way in hell CVs are going to hold up against 500hp and 37" tires. I'd say I'm fairly well committed at this point to the SAS.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I NEVER have had to drop my diff to the ground, to get the stubb axles out, EVER...in fact, I say, it would be a struggle to get the diff out before removing the axle shafts.

It can be done with the diff still hanging in the VX....a pry-bar and patience is needed though.
    Haha, yeah my point is we are all talking about the same thing just using different words. I know what you mean by"diff still hanging in the VX", but you still have to remove the 4 bolts holding on the bracket that mounts the diff to the frame, and probably support the diff with a jack or stands or something while it is "hanging in there", so you basically are removing the diff from its original position, and is probably less hassle to go ahead and remove it. Yes you have to remove at least one of the axle halfs before removing the diff. But I might try your crow bar method next time, seems like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Also, there is no way in hell CVs are going to hold up against 500hp and 37" tires. I'd say I'm fairly well committed at this point to the SAS.
    While the stockers, or even my toyota ones wouldn't hold up to 500HP,

934.5 CVs CAN and DO take that HP and tire size!!!! the axle bars are 1.5" 35 slpine just like a dana 60!!! And they even have larger ones...series 50??? avail..... PRO 4 trucks use these....

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=BigMeatVX;206758]
    934.5 CVs CAN and DO take that HP and tire size!!!![QUOTE]
    If only we could get some 934.5 CV's in the VX

While the stockers, or even my toyota ones wouldn't hold up to 500HP,

934.5 CVs CAN and DO take that HP and tire size!!!! the axle bars are 1.5" 35 slpine just like a dana 60!!! And they even have larger ones...series 50??? avail..... PRO 4 trucks use these....
    Yep, just take a look at Shannon Campbells IFS King of the Hammers rig.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Yeah, but try finding a replacement set of those at the junkyard. For the $250 I spent for the whole D60, I'm pretty sure for as rarely as I'll break shafts that it'll be more cost effective long run. Plus I can regear it to just about anything and there's a wide variety of lockers available. I have just never heard of that kind of stuff with any of the IFS out there that isn't totally high dollar custom made. Add to that the fact that my solid axle route is way more hydraulic steering friendly, and probably articulates waaayy more, plus more weight down low vs. IFS and I'm sold on it.

I was just throwing that out there...believe me, if I had the $$$ there would already be a solid axle under mine!

Updates? With Bigmeat's new super flexy IFS, I'd think people would really start wanting these stronger CV's. I don't how many people watched the videos in his thread, but those A-arm angles are going to eat stock CV's for breakfast. I love that I'm finally seeing some decent hardcore parts becoming available for the VX. Even if it's a little too late for me

lol I need to give craig a call again on monday and see what's going on with it.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Updates? With Bigmeat's new super flexy IFS, I'd think people would really start wanting these stronger CV's. I don't how many people watched the videos in his thread, but those A-arm angles are going to eat stock CV's for breakfast. I love that I'm finally seeing some decent hardcore parts becoming available for the VX. Even if it's a little too late for me
    Thats what I was thinking, talking with Joe D about it. Definitely gotta stay out of the skinny pedal if you are flexed out...Plus, looking how much flex he gets, gonna have to remove the inner liners, and perhaps trim the outer cladding...no big deal for me, but for some that is probably a deal breaker, although if you want to keep your VX pretty, this kit kind of defeats the purpose. This would be for an actual trail truck, not a once a year, Tour De Desert truck. Not downing those folks, but to spend that much money and time, for a mod that is gonna require some work to make it effective...I went ahead and did the ball joint flip, low pro bump stops(that really aren't any smaller than the factory stops), got the diff drop brackets in the truck...and I have several spare OEM CVs, so maybe if this EMPI deal goes through, I may liquidate all my spares, and use that as money toward the super fancy CVs.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I would love to have stronger CVs my VX. Mine were the destroyed in Moab when the boots ripped, all the grease fell out and the bearings slowly wore the inner cup into oblivion with metal on metal contact. I installed new CVs but they still click/vibrate because I didn't replace the inner cup. These stronger CVs look to be a permanent fix to these problems