Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cladding

Cladding

Came across this site. It seems to have a whole bunch of products that would work nicely to fix, improve, color our cladding.
    http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.php

Anyone ever try sanding out scratches before using restorer refinish or some of the products on the above sight?

the product listed in the link "plastic fix" specifically says it wont work on polypropolyne (ie what our cladding is made of)

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I never knew what our clading was made of, thanks.

I already use retorer refinish so I really was hoping that something had tried sanding/working cladding and had some advice on that.

The cladding is raw, stamped out from the factory. If you notice, it has a slight texture to it and once a mark or scratch is put in it, it's there for good. A decent dressing may hide or camouflage small scratches, but they would still be there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Just tryed this stuff called armor-dillo TS-1 it seems to be holding up (2 months) and it can be found on the web at www.armor-dillo.com . this is the best stuff I have found so far.
    Larry

Certainly reads well. Here is a web site with more info.
    http://www.autocosmeticproducts.com/Armordillots1.htm
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Certainly reads well. Here is a web site with more info.
    http://www.autocosmeticproducts.com/Armordillots1.htm
    x2. Great "link"(s). After reading the above mentioned website links, the Armor Dillo TS-1 appears to be the miracle cure for our VX cladding. Even the official GM Tech Bulletin mentions it "by name" for their Avalanche cladding (remember, ISUZU is a GM subsidiary company). According to the info & GM-TB, the most critical step is to use a "damp" lint-free towel to wipe the surface after treatment with TS-1. Further, MR. LARRY's has already tried it on his cladding with great results.

I've used Refinish Restorer only on my Hood Insert and it has returned it to like-new condition with a OEM factory looking sheen. However, I haven't used R/R on my side cladding yet because other VX member's have reported chipping/flaking and that has made me extremely skittish for R/R cladding use.

Having said that, my plan now is to only use R/R on the Hood Insert and to use Armor Dillo TS-1 only on the side cladding material. Plus, I really like the fact that the TS-1 comes in pre-treated "packet wipes" which will aide in its application. I just ordered the TS-1 (4-pack) for $30 from ROWHARD's "link" to give it a try.

Hmmmm, is better than the VXKat famed 303?

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
    Hmmmm, is better than the VXKat famed 303?
    Sounds even better to me! But to be fair, they're 2 different animals....sounds like Armordillo TS-1 actually penetrates and hardens on the surface. And specifically says it WON'T CHIP or SCRATCH OFF!!!! Now 303 won't chip or scratch off either, but it's still somewhat of a topical product, whereas TS-1 and R/R actually penetrate the surface.....except R/R chips off

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I need to refinish my cladding too. After all the reading I am a little weary of using R/R. Has anyone tried the methods or products listed in the isuzu service bulletin?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12867

Not Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    x2. Great "link"(s). (remember, ISUZU is a GM subsidiary company). :
    Isuzu wised up and bought the shares back from GM once they saw how ratyher then helpins sell Isuzus with its dealer network they instead worked on trying to make Isuzu a GM sub product with low quality

I dont understand how R/R could possibly chip. I've been using the product without any problems whatsoever. Its not a paint that coats the plastic, its not a dye, and its not a silicone surface treatment that just lasts a week like Black Magic et al. Its a solvent that penetrates the plastic, allowing it to be cleaned and resurfaced very safely and lasts for months and months if not a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I dont understand how R/R could possibly chip. I've been using the product without any problems whatsoever. Its not a paint that coats the plastic, its not a dye, and its not a silicone surface treatment that just lasts a week like Black Magic et al. Its a solvent that penetrates the plastic, allowing it to be cleaned and resurfaced very safely and lasts for months and months if not a year.
    I don't understand it either....but it seems to be chipping whereever anything comes in firm contact with it...
    On my pass fender I kissed a small branch/bush in Moab, and there's a clear area of missing R/R and the actual cladding shows the abrasion/scuffing...so I know it occurred when the branch abraded the cladding.

And the front bumper is peppered with chips as you can see....I'm at a loss I only have 2 coats on (about 1 yr apart), think I should do a few more or have any ideas on what could have happened or what I can do about it? I prepped the surface thoroughly. And I have no other areas chipping or peeling, just the front and where I brushed the branch....so that led me to believe it had to be from dirt /road debris striking at highway speeds and, of course, direct abrasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    ...Its a solvent that penetrates the plastic, allowing it to be cleaned and resurfaced very safely and lasts for months and months if not a year.
    But to me that seems inconsistent with what several owners have reported since applying it; maybe that's what the bottle says, but it surely seems that in addition to whatever "penetrating" it does, it also coats the surface with a hardened veneer. I wonder what "resurfacing" really means if the product itself forms the surface that has to be refinished. From my perspective it seems likely that trail and road rash are causing Sue's problems; as she points out, how could it be anything else if it only affects the front? I guess the only question is whether the front surfaces were somehow damaged/contaminated before R/R was applied, but that doesn't seem to jive with how well Sue claims to have pre-treated.

Not picking at you Grif, just trying to encourage more discussion. A year ago R/R seemed like the salvation everyone had always wanted, and to some members it still seems to be so. There has to be some reason why different members are having different results.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post

Not picking at you Grif, just trying to encourage more discussion. A year ago R/R seemed like the salvation everyone had always wanted, and to some members it still seems to be so. There has to be some reason why different members are having different results.
    Mav, I know yer not picking at me. And my thoughts are the same as yours. Why are some people reporting problems when my experience has been very positive?

Could there be an interaction between previous treatments used on the cladding and R/R? I definitely could imagine some chipping if the cladding had been painted or clearcoated. R/R is not for painted surfaces (sorry Riff, hood inset R/R treatment was prolly not a good idea, tho i used it on mine once, with "meh" results). It is a penetrating solvent after all. It could possibly weaken paint or even dyed surfaces if the solvents used are unfreindly with eachother.

Of course my experience is only mine, I cannot speak for others and more input is definitely appreciated.

Oh, and my description of what it does was not lifted from the bottle, it was my own personal observation of how the substance interacts with the plastic.