Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Cladding

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Quit trying to pick a fight.

Where'd that come from Riff? I thought we were all having a technical discussion here and doing some problem solving.....

I too hope "Mr Larry's" can get some pics, but if he doesn't, I hope you can when you get your TS-1.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

Where'd that come from Riff?
    Exactly my point. Play nice.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    LMFAO

The violin was meant for you.. So, I'm not sure what you're laughing at.
    do me a favor, turn the RADAR off... There was no picking here.. she's just trying to get some questions answered and you seemed to have some of the answers. If you don't care to help just say so. Brush the dust off the shoulders and don't look at everything so hyper-critical and lets have some fun.
    Scott / moncha.com

No worries, Scott. The issue has been resolved. I've already put it behind me and moved on. Cheers.

Like new

there is a product made by meguiars called endurance high gloss. it is a tire protecting gel that works great to clean and shine the cladding to a like new state. you can get it at most car care places.

A little help needed

I am having a cladding issue of my own. My V was rearended last week and the insurance company is fixing it which was welcome news after the horror stories that I have heard about the # of totals that occur. However the company is replacing damaged cladding with new cladding only in the rear. leaving me with a three toned car. Kiaser silver, 10 years of fadded cladding and new shiny black cladding. I now have to prove that is devaluing the vehicle. I need third party bids of my vehicle with original equipmant and now with the crappy missmatched cladding to prove that my car is worth less now than prior to the accident. Any help you all can give me would be helpful.

Good luck on that

I feel for you. But trying to prove it may be difficult, it may then increase the cost to repair just enough for them to total the VX instead of repair. I would instead ask that after the VX is repaired they also pay for a detail jod that includes the best type of cladding restoration you can find. Beleive it or not some of this stuff restores the cladding to black (yeah yeah gray blah blah blah) and then just keep up the cladding care. After all this is the same as trying to get an overall paint job for a fender bender.

ok, I'm reading page after page about the cladding.... It's raw plastic made into whatever shape needed from the factory. Bottom line is that it has no UV protection to it. It will fade, then we can treat it... but by no means, put anything that creates a hard shell. It won't stick and will peel/flake off. Remember, the cladding has a slight texture to it so that's yet another deterrent for adhesion.
    There are a number of steps that can be taken to prep the stuff for painting or maybe like what some have done (rhinolining) but it does involve numerous steps with numerous products.
    So, whichever product is easy to apply after your 2-3 washing, that's what I would recommend...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I would instead ask that after the VX is repaired they also pay for a detail jod that includes the best type of cladding restoration you can find.
    and I think that might be gatorback http://www.gatorbackcoatings.com/application-demo.htm

If you can get them to pay for this, you will be way ahead of the rest.

Oh, last time I spoke with them, they did a VX in the dark grey which was a match
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    ok, I'm reading page after page about the cladding.... It's raw plastic made into whatever shape needed from the factory. Bottom line is that it has no UV protection to it. It will fade, then we can treat it... but by no means, put anything that creates a hard shell. It won't stick and will peel/flake off. Remember, the cladding has a slight texture to it so that's yet another deterrent for adhesion.
    There are a number of steps that can be taken to prep the stuff for painting or maybe like what some have done (rhinolining) but it does involve numerous steps with numerous products.
    So, whichever product is easy to apply after your 2-3 washing, that's what I would recommend...
    Hey Dan, why didn't you jump in sooner! LOL! That's why I'm glad you're on the forum now, you have such great experience & knowledge. I certainly welcome your input/direction any time.

One point I think may be pertinent to mention here is that both R/R & TS-1 both say they penetrate the surface/plastic cladding. So maybe that changes how it adheres.

Think I'm going to apply some more R/R on the front, see how it looks..otherwise, I may look into getting a new bumper, or maybe even that non-OEM replacement bumper with the texture, then none of my cladding will match! :roll: Anybody have a spare bumper to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Think I'm going to apply some more R/R on the front, see how it looks..otherwise, I may look into getting a new bumper, or maybe even that non-OEM replacement bumper with the texture, then none of my cladding will match! :roll: Anybody have a spare bumper to sell?
    Sue,
    Don't go spending money on a new bumper cover... when you come down next week, I'll see what I can do about getting all that flaking/chipping stuff off so you have a clean slate to work with.
    'Till then, don't put anymore layers of anything on... o-tay?

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    Sue,
    Don't go spending money on a new bumper cover... when you come down next week, I'll see what I can do about getting all that flaking/chipping stuff off so you have a clean slate to work with.
    'Till then, don't put anymore layers of anything on... o-tay?
    O-Tay, 10-4!
    Tanks!

Well heck, here's a new development!
    Took it to the self serve car wash place with the pressure washer(where you put a bunch of quarters in). With all the rains this season, I've got mud caked all over the place...maybe not as much as CrotchRocket , but still lots of it.

So I blasted the heck out of everything, especially the cladding and wheel wells where the mud is....well guess what?.... when drying I discovered I blasted a bunch of R/R off too!!! I've got some large areas (like 7" x 5") mostly over the wheel wells that are nekkid cladding! Since that's where I concentrated the spray, that's what got blasted the hardest...and took off the most R/R.
    WAHOO!!!!!

Whatdaya think Luna?? Shouldn't I go back and blast some more?
    Last edited by VX KAT : 08/21/2010 at 07:10 PM Reason: OK, got carried away there...not 7'....7" is more accurate