Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help to find a VX in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by alanbradley View Post
    Ahhh - you've found the rub... People selling often haven't a clue what it is they're actually selling they just know that its "a bit odd".

The standard radio (Clarion) is a reversing camera, Minidisc player, CD-changer and radio, but I don't believe its a satnav. Once you've tried to manoeuvre in a tight space without the reversing camera you'll understand how important it is. The stanard radio will only be able to pick up Radio 2 unless it has a band expander fitted.

I believe the cambelt's not that big a deal and I've had mine checked and it was done not so long before I bought it.

I hope that's a bit more help,

Alan

(work's boring this afternoon...)
    So i take it that the Double Din is with the reverse camera, as the the guys seem to think it is just a radio?
    http://pistonheads.com/sales/largepi...rv=1&current=8
    Last edited by clark607 : 07/20/2010 at 07:27 AM

Hi Clark, Im another regular UK member.

The standard was the clarion which is a double DIN and screen. The screen should show the picture from the reversing camera when put into reverse. Mine did come with an OEM sat nav but as it was all in japanese i couldnt iunderstand it and it kept telling me i was 7000k from my destination all the time Anyway i ripped it all out and put in my flip up ripspead screen and it all works perfectly, i put it in reverse and it comes up on the screen as it did with the standard one. Only thing you have to do is run an rca video cable to an already existing output in the boot and hook up the switch wire from your headunit to the reverse light.....................but i think im getting ahead of myself as you dont have one yet!!

What are you looking for, an off roader? or 100% on road ??
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Thanks for the info, as at this stage that is what i really need, so i know what things to look for.
    Last edited by clark607 : 07/20/2010 at 07:47 AM

There is no need to worry about getting mechanical parts for it, it shares its chassis / engine / drivetrain with the 3.2 + 3.5 SWB Trooper and the Vaxhaul Frontera B. The problem is body work which would be a struggle to find. Mine had a cracked windscreen and the dealer replaced it before i bought it.........cost him nearly a grand!!! (so get windscreen cover )

Thanks again for the advice, that was what i needed to hear. i was worried about parts and prices. As at the moment my current car i was quoted £2800 for a new fuel pump to be fitted!!

So i have now decided to buy 2 cars, 1 for me, to get to and from work and for the wife to learn to drive. Then i will buy a VX for myself.......as you do.

^That's a good plan. Put it like this, I have a Mazda RX8 as my sensible, everyday, economy car. Compared to the Vehicross it is!

The offer to meet up and let you have a shotty of mine still stands.

A

Dont be offended or put off VX's for life when you see Alans by the way

Oh, and i've always said if someone offered me the right price i'd sell mine ................. just putting it out there! ................... dont tell anyone on here though!

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Dont be offended or put off VX's for life when you see Alans by the way

Oh, and i've always said if someone offered me the right price i'd sell mine ................. just putting it out there! ................... dont tell anyone on here though!
    lol........interested

Quote Originally Posted by alanbradley View Post
    ^That's a good plan. Put it like this, I have a Mazda RX8 as my sensible, everyday, economy car. Compared to the Vehicross it is!

The offer to meet up and let you have a shotty of mine still stands.

A
    Thanks for the offer, but i currently have no transport at the moment. But will be good to see your's and get some advice i.e where to get parts/serviced etc

As Alan B correctly reminded me he was very helpful when I was looking for my VX. Not only was he able to answer specific technical questions but he also gave me the necessary push to buy one (a decision I do not regret) even though filling the beast up can cause initial concern.

But overall it's the only car I've really been really fond of. I was also very lucky to find the (I believe) the only 175 limited edition VX in the UK (but I wouldn't be surprised if there are others - but not to my knowledge)

I'm in Manchester I visited it in Sussex to look at it after it had recently been privately imported. I subsequently flew down to pick it up (then drove it back) but other UK owners have purchased from Spain and then drove back over 2000 miles.

History is a problem with any private import so it's best to take your time, know the problems, talk to the owners on the forum and take a few for test rides before purchasing.

The one you've mentioned p966, I believe, has been on the market for a long time so perhaps the trader would drop the price by quite a bit.

As you've mention the original double din hifi unit is interesting. On mine it is used as the reserving camera display (I recently had the camera refurbished at Clarion UK), as a radio (but it's limited unless you fit a band expander), and as a cassette player (though with an adapter tape I've connected a ipod). I don't know why people mention that it had a CD player (except the American version it quite different to the JDM VX with only a single DIN unit and no reversing camera). So if the reversing camera fails I can understand owners replacing the original Clarion (ADDZEST) with a European market unit. And a few UK VXs have done just that.

Thanks for you reply....

The P966 is up for sale for £4995.00 and when i talk to him he said he loved it and has been driving it and added approx. 1000 miles on the clock.

still looking and very please for all the people here giving me advice.

Thanks everyone!

98 plate on ebay has now dropped in price to £4995.00, but i am still looking around. I will wait until i get back to buy a VX. I am still reading up on them, and what parts costs etc so i know what to look for when i go on a car hunt when i get back.

I also had some luck today.....

My Zafira (Fuel Pump Problem) started first time?? So the Fuel pump is definitely ok. My guess is the EGR Valve. But the garage obviously went for the most expensive fault for repair without checking for other possibilities.....

£200 for EGR Valve
    £2800 for Fuel Pump

A bit of a difference lol

Could be a small as just needing a new fuel filter to be honest? Can you hear the fuel pump 'prime' when you turn the ignition on? if so then its definately working. Are you in a position to do a pressure test on the fuel pump? I presume the garage did? maybe worth asking them how they came to the assumption that the pump was dead.

Can a faulty EGR valve stop the car working entirely? i know it can make it run badly but not sure if it can stop it from starting, all it does it put a percentage of exhaust gas into the air intake, i would of thought even if it was stuck open there would be enough air/fuel mix to start with.

Not sure what else to suggest, accept the usual things of checking all connctions to the coil packs etc, which again i presume the garage did?

Quote Originally Posted by clark607 View Post
    98 plate on ebay has now dropped in price to £4995.00, but i am still looking around. I will wait until i get back to buy a VX. I am still reading up on them, and what parts costs etc so i know what to look for when i go on a car hunt when i get back.

My Zafira (Fuel Pump Problem) started first time?? So the Fuel pump is definitely ok. My guess is the EGR Valve. But the garage obviously went for the most expensive fault for repair without checking for other possibilities.....

£200 for EGR Valve
    £2800 for Fuel Pump

I would suggest getting a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by clark607 View Post

£200 for EGR Valve
    £2800 for Fuel Pump

Yeah, just a bit... I have a mate that's a mobile mechanic based in Kettering if you'd like me to give you his number. he's an MOT tester by day and, amazingly, has no agenda. I use him for all my VX stuff and he finds working on it a bit different from hammering at his collection of moudly old Range Rovers. Anyway, he's one of these people that is a natural mechanic so the offer's there.

A