Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New speakers help please

New speakers help please

Hi guys,
    I installed a new MP3 player (Kenwood KDC-MP142 ) with the help of John (Rowhard) <--- Very helpful and kind man.

So of course as soon as I tried my new MP3 player, one of my speakers blew out. I searched all the forum and it seems that there are no magic recipe to swap these speakers easily. I wouldn't mind make so minor adjustment like cutting bigger hole for the rear speakers but I'm not comfortable to cut holes on the door panels to install new tweeters if you see what I mean.

Do you have recommendations to replace the speakers easily? I was think about buying 4 of Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch. Although it seems that I will need to deal with tweeters replacement eventually.

How about this kit(Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers (Pair))? Do you think it would work without spending 3 days in the garage? It looks like this kit would be a good mixed of sound quality and bass.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by BlackVX : 07/14/2010 at 10:08 AM Reason: typo

it's really not that hard to replace the rear speakers. it took me about a half hour or so to get the old ones out and the new ones in.

Are you replacing the front or rears? The rears are only a pain since you need to take out the rear panels...getting them back in sucks royally!
    If the fronts...you always have the option of surface mounting the tweeters. You can even mount them over the factory location.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thanks Billy, From what I read from other members, I should replaced all of them. They will eventually all break!

So if I mount the tweeters on top the OEM, then the kits that I mentioned above won't do. Do you have suggestions for a set/kit of speakers (tweeters, front, rear)? I have a small budget.

Thanks,
    Michael

They usually com e with all you need to mount flush or surface.

I was able to surface mount my Boston acoustics tweeters with no problems

I did fiberglass over the openings for the factory tweeters for cosmetic reasons but that wasn't necessary for the install

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Great thanks guys, I looked at other sites to see more pictures and the tweeters do come with different mounting setup.

So here are the dimensions of the speakers in this product:

Speaker Specifications
    Speaker Size 6-1/2"
    Design 2-way Component System
    Tweeter Design Dome
    Tweeter Composition UHF
    Woofer Composition Woven Glass Fiber
    Woofer Surround Rubber
    Peak Power Handling 270 watts
    RMS Power Handling 90 watts
    Sensitivity 95 dB
    Frequency Response 45 - 25000 Hz
    Impedance (per voice coil) 2 ohms
    Top Mount Depth 2-7/16"
    Bottom-mount depth 3"
    Cutout Dimensions 5-1/8"

Do you think I can make all this fit in the VX? I know I'll have to cut bigger holes for the rear speaker. How about the depth of these?

Thanks!
    Michael

you wont be cutting anything for the rear speakers. you're gonna have to make a whole new bracket to hold them cause there isn't any holes for the rear speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwashed View Post
    you wont be cutting anything for the rear speakers. you're gonna have to make a whole new bracket to hold them cause there isn't any holes for the rear speakers.
    you mean like this

I used the new 6.5 inch mounting ring I.D. as a template to cut the old 4 inch mounting bracket so new 6.5 inch would fit. Had to use the new mounting bracket on top because it did not have the clearance for the magnet, but otherwise it worked fine.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    you mean like this

I used the new 6.5 inch mounting ring I.D. as a template to cut the old 4 inch mounting bracket so new 6.5 inch would fit. Had to use the new mounting bracket on top because it did not have the clearance for the magnet, but otherwise it worked fine.
    Whaaaa? I have to build my own mounting brackets?! Why this is so painful ... sell me yours right now! ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    I was able to surface mount my Boston acoustics tweeters with no problems

I did fiberglass over the openings for the factory tweeters for cosmetic reasons but that wasn't necessary for the install
    Looking at the pictures, it seems that the tweeters are very closed to get in the way when the door close. Could you tell me the exact model of your Boston tweeters so I can lookup the exact dimensions of them on Google? Or if you know the dimensions already it would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Michael

i havent found any dimensions on them.. but yes it is a very tight fit... its the Boston Acoustic S60 series 6-1/2" components. as far as i can tell all of the boston acoustics component sets come with the same mounting brackets for surface mount tweeters

for my rear speakers I have rockford fosgate slim mount 6-1/2s all I had to do was cut out the brackets for the rear and they fit barely with a 2" top mount depth, but I did have to trim the back of the speaker grilles to prevent the cones from hitting

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVX View Post
    Whaaaa? I have to build my own mounting brackets?! Why this is so painful ... sell me yours right now! ha ha!
    NO NO NO! that is the factory bracket for the rear 4 inch speaker. You just need to enlarge the hole to fit the 6.5. Some tin snips and a felt tip marker is all you need. Either left hand or right hand tin snips will do.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    NO NO NO! that is the factory bracket for the rear 4 inch speaker. You just need to enlarge the hole to fit the 6.5. Some tin snips and a felt tip marker is all you need. Either left hand or right hand tin snips will do.
    Oh OK! I was thinking... those are really nice custom brackets!

I ordered this set! The price is unbeatable. Hopefully this install will go smoothly.

Thanks!
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVX View Post
    I ordered this set! The price is unbeatable. Hopefully this install will go smoothly.
    Thanks!
    Michael
    I hope it does too since they are not round