Thread: Roof rack spare tire carrier

Roof rack spare tire carrier

After reading another thread, I decided to mod my roof rack for the spare while on trails. I keep it on the door normally, but not practical for wheelin, and I can't put the tire inside when I have the kids with me. So I decided to cut my existing Rage roof rack. I cut it enough to hold my potential 35" Kevlars. Short project, took me all of about 15 minutes, including the paint

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Looks good, Marlin. You're always thinking ahead-- 35's huh??? If you do go 35's, don't forget to consider the Mickey/Thompson "BAJA" dune-buggy tire in 35x10.0-15LT which weighs only 40 lbs (it's skinny as hell, perfect for a spare).

BTW, nice garage interior!!! Since you can't use your garage anymore, perhaps your next project should be a "carport" covering that extends out from the front of the garage and covers your entire driveway. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Looks good, Marlin. You're always thinking ahead-- 35's huh??? If you do go 35's, don't forget to consider the Mickey/Thompson "BAJA" dune-buggy tire in 35x10.0-15LT which weighs only 40 lbs (it's skinny as hell, perfect for a spare).

BTW, nice garage interior!!! Since you can't use your garage anymore, perhaps your next project should be a "carport" covering that extends out from the front of the garage and covers your entire driveway. Just a thought.
    Well, the kevlars I have now are not available anywhere in the US, and no estimated production date from Goodyear. They offered to replace them with the wrangler MTR or a different size Kevlar. That would mean I can get the 35x11.5x18 for free The ones I have now are a hair under 34, so no significant trimming from where I am now. I will try to scam out with one of the 34s I have now as a spare Gotta work on that somehow. May have to "tip" the mechanic.
    As for the carport, no go, HOA would throw a fit more than they already do. I am not allowed to use a grinder before 8am as it is.

home owners associations SUCK! I refuse to live in a community with one lol. Rack looks good though, what are you using to hold the tire in place? Just a ratchet strap?
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread