Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard to find / Nearly-impossible to find parts?

Hard to find / Nearly-impossible to find parts?

Having owned several VX's through the years, I'm once again considering taking the plunge. However, one major concern tempers my enthusiasm. Which is, what happens when parts become so scarce that the pleasure of owning and driving the VX is largely mitigated by the difficulty in keeping the thing in one functional piece. For instance, I have read about the difficulties some of you folks have encountered in attempting to replace U-Joint parts. I've also read about the nice guy Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu who apparently has been archiving a store of hard to find parts which he makes available to your community. All well and good. But, what happens when that OEM well runs dry --- and worse, when there are no more donor VX's to pick apart for needed VX-specific pieces?

After all, at least to my knowledge, unlike the '69 Camaro for example, there is not a huge amount of reproduction parts being made for the VX.

I've read through numerous posts on similar subjects and am touched and heartened by your enthusiasm as a group. Clearly, you guys love your VX's and even better, you seem to care for each other -- helping out as you can. This is great and something I'd love to contribute to if I decide to buy a VX. The upshot for me though can be framed in the following concise inquiry.

For someone who would intend to own and drive a VX fairly regularly for the next five or ten years, what percentage of parts would turn out to be either difficult or impossible to obtain? I look forward to hearing from you and whether or not I do buy a VX, my heart will always beat a bit faster when seeing one out in the world....

Honestly the mechanicals of the VX aren't hard to find parts for. Pretty much everything on them is Trooper. OEM shocks are different but you can use aftermarket shocks. The hard to find stuff is mainly body parts, interior trim, etc etc. Also the CV joints (which I assume you meant when you wrote u-joint) can be had from other Isuzu's as well, I haven't checked myself but have been told a 95+ Trooper CV shaft will fit perfectly and also Marlin said 98+ Rodeo/Passport ones work too. If you get in an accident with one it may be hard to find stuff for it (unless your Tom lol) but other than that I think just to keep it running in tip-top shape, you'll be fine. That's just my opinion though
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by angeno View Post
    Having owned several VX's through the years, I'm once again considering taking the plunge. However, one major concern tempers my enthusiasm. Which is, what happens when parts become so scarce that the pleasure of owning and driving the VX is largely mitigated by the difficulty in keeping the thing in one functional piece. For instance, I have read about the difficulties some of you folks have encountered in attempting to replace U-Joint parts. I've also read about the nice guy Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu who apparently has been archiving a store of hard to find parts which he makes available to your community. All well and good. But, what happens when that OEM well runs dry --- and worse, when there are no more donor VX's to pick apart for needed VX-specific pieces?

After all, at least to my knowledge, unlike the '69 Camaro for example, there is not a huge amount of reproduction parts being made for the VX.

I've read through numerous posts on similar subjects and am touched and heartened by your enthusiasm as a group. Clearly, you guys love your VX's and even better, you seem to care for each other -- helping out as you can. This is great and something I'd love to contribute to if I decide to buy a VX. The upshot for me though can be framed in the following concise inquiry.

For someone who would intend to own and drive a VX fairly regularly for the next five or ten years, what percentage of parts would turn out to be either difficult or impossible to obtain? I look forward to hearing from you and whether or not I do buy a VX, my heart will always beat a bit faster when seeing one out in the world....
    From what I've understood from the above, it is my opinion that you are better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle.
    Something far more common, with fewer worries...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I agree with ldub.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Thumbs up

Yeah, I tend to agree with LDUB as well, however I also will say this. I personally love my VX so much, that I have taken it 'out of service' so to speak, as my full time daily driver. Why? Because I want to decrease the probability of getting in a wreck or acquiring some damage that would force me to need to replace body parts.

Body parts are going to be what dries up. I think we are seeing this already.

The bottom line is this: The VX is a rare, halo vehicle that is destined to become an even rarer collector car.

So you have 3 options, IMO.

1) Buy a VX and baby it, keep it as a collector car, driving it as little as possible.

2) Buy a VX worry free and drive the heck out of it and have a blast and don't worry about the consequences.

3) Buy something like a Toyota 4Runner so you will have the comfort of knowing you can get parts for it.

If I were in your shoes, I would opt for option 2, with option 1 in mind a few years from now. I am personally at option 1 right now, and I will likely stay there forever, especially once I get some body work done.

Whatever you choose, know that we are here to help you!

Bart

You should add Bart that buying another vehicle to drive everyday makes things alot easier. I currently DD mine but plan on buying something else soon, not so much to keep miles off the VX in my case, but more so that I can have it down to do modifications without having to worry about having a vehicle if I need one. My wife needs her car for work so I need to have something in case i need to take the kids somewhere

I drive my VX daily and wheel the snot out of it...I will worry about the parts shortage if/when that time comes! The VX is meant to be enjoyed!

Most parts as said above are shared with other Zu's. As time goes by the creative/mechanically inclined are also finding new options (i.e. Bigmeatvx's bolt on 5-speed tranny). I am sure if it ever comes down to it the cladding pieces will be able to be copied in fiberglass by some crafty individual and metal can always be reshaped! At least thats what I keep telling myself
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    YI currently DD mine but plan on buying something else soon, not so much to keep miles off the VX in my case, but more so that I can have it down to do modifications without having to worry about having a vehicle if I need one.
    I like the way you think. They are 100% correct. Most mechanicals can be scavenged off of the flood of Zus thanks to Cash for Clunkers. There are few that can't be obtained, but with some creativity, and a grinder, most parts can be modified to fit.
    Plastic is our biggest downfall.
    I am like Billy (triathelete) I beat the piss out of mine, take VERY good care of it as far as maintenance and I will worry about broken stuff when the time comes. It is by far the coolest car to drive ever. It turns heads everywhere, it could be at an exotic car show, and hold its own.
    GO FOR IT!!!! (only if you are going to use it, none of this garaged for three years hoo ha)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    From what I've understood from the above, it is my opinion that you are better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    I agree with ldub.....
    That's a bit harsh don't you think? Personally I think it's a pretty reasonable concern for a new owner - regardless of how "hardcore" you are about owning a VX and finding parts, the ugly truth is that it can be downright expensive, and likely to only get worse over time. Don't relegate the guy to a Camry just because he's doing diligent research.

FWIW, I say take the plunge. As others have pointed out, the mechanicals are more or less readily available, and I can attest from endless eBay searches that body panels and cladding are available if you're patient.

GO FOR IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    That's a bit harsh don't you think?
    Ummmmmm...no.

That opinion is based on years of experience.

IMO, if you're not "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right outta the gate, then 9 times out of 10, people will research & research & reasearch & research, then eventually fade away...

Even if you ARE "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right out of the gate, I still see a one in three chance you won't be around for 18 months...seen Tbigity around lately?

I see your "harsh" as a realistic way of looking at things, no offence meant to anyone...

Thumbs up

That's a bit harsh don't you think? Personally I think it's a pretty reasonable concern for a new owner - regardless of how "hardcore" you are about owning a VX and finding parts, the ugly truth is that it can be downright expensive, and likely to only get worse over time. Don't relegate the guy to a Camry just because he's doing diligent research.

FWIW, I say take the plunge. As others have pointed out, the mechanicals are more or less readily available, and I can attest from endless eBay searches that body panels and cladding are available if you're patient.

GO FOR IT!!!
    well said X2

Ummmmmm...no.

That opinion is based on years of experience.

IMO, if you're not "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right outta the gate, then 9 times out of 10, people will research & research & reasearch & research, then eventually fade away...

Even if you ARE "OMG, that's the coolest PUV on the planet...I just GOTTA have one" right out of the gate, I still see a one in three chance you won't be around for 18 months...seen Tbigity around lately?

I see your "harsh" as a realistic way of looking at things, no offence meant to anyone...
    Agreed, I'm the 4th owner of my VX, with the first owner garaging her for 6 years before selling her to two successive owners that loved the PUV idea but couldn't stomach the day-to-day reality of cargo space issues, etc. They each owned her for only a year before giving up.

So not really disagreeing with your first post, just pointing out the language of "better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle" could, in my opinion, be construed as a little condescending. Come on Dub, you're not turning into Riff on us are you!

T/J over, back to angeno - As you said this forum is very helpful and supportive if you do decide to jump back in, and in all seriouness LDub is one of our best examples. So is any of this changing your mind (in either direction)?

Yeah, I too have to agree with Dub.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

So not really disagreeing with your first post, just pointing out the language of "better suited for a more pedestrian vehicle" could, in my opinion, be construed as a little condescending. Come on Dub, you're not turning into Riff on us are you!
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit blunt with regard to my opinion.

But seriously...a riff comparo?...

You really know how to hurt a guy......

Lol... I knew it would get your goat!