Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need a new driveshaft!

Need a new driveshaft!

My mechanic is out of the country and I am not sure which part of the driveshaft I need. I know he balanced it a while ago... but it is all messed up. I need a new one. I ordered one through a dealer, it was backordered, I paid for it, they got taken over by new owners and I got screwed. I need a driveshaft! Can anyone help out? Spare parts anywhere? Otherwise, I will order it through good ol' Merlin!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    C I know you have talked about this before but what problem is it giving you? How could you tell you needed driveshaft? I am not sure I would sell mine as it seperated in the wreck so I am not sure if that messed it up.......but I have a grinding noise since Moab, & 912 springs & 32 tires, on deceleration and wondering what issues you had.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Are you sure you need an entire shaft or just the u-joint at the rear of the shaft? Unless something hit the shaft there is really not much that can go wrong with it (possibly your mech mis-balanced it?). The u-joint is what usually goes out on a shaft. Usually if they are bad you will have some slop in the shaft...you will be able to move it side to side or up and down a bit. I have a u-joint in my garage that I ordered from Merlin a while back so he should be able to get them. I would try that first. You would want a new one anyways if you replace the shaft anyways so might as well try that first.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

may wanna PM Travelin2. He's the one that added a disconnect to his driveshaft for towing. He's prolly got more experience with the driveshaft than anyone.

You could also PM Marlin. He found a cupla VXs in boneyards & could help you contact the right person.

Billy's right. You may only need to remove the driveshaft & take it to a specialty shop to be balanced. Then reinstall with new U-joints.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    may wanna PM Travelin2. He's the one that added a disconnect to his driveshaft for towing. He's prolly got more experience with the driveshaft than anyone.

You could also PM Marlin. He found a cupla VXs in boneyards & could help you contact the right person.

Billy's right. You may only need to remove the driveshaft & take it to a specialty shop to be balanced. Then reinstall with new U-joints.
    Let me know what you find out, I can get the one here, it only has like 80K on it. He is reasonable with his prices, and shipping for the U joint wont be bad, 15 bucks for USPS flat rate. If the whole shaft, I will have to look into the price. Let me know.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I know a couple of years ago my VX was shaking when I got up to 40 mph. I soon discovered it was my U-joint that needed replacing. If it's shaking at around 35-40 mph that's what I would look at first.
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    We missed you and Gill at Moab this year. Hopefully, y'all can make it next year.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I have a driveshaft sitting on the shelf right now. Let me know. I'll send it on out for whatever you think is fair. If you need pics, let me know. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back(minus shipping).
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I have already replaced the U-Joints post-Moab 2008, and the drive shaft was balanced. Having it balanced temporarily helped, but did not fix it, and now it is back to normal and getting much louder! It sounds like I am driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road to wake sleepy drivers. It grinds at highway speed when lightly getting off the gas. Accelerating has no grinding and completely off the gas has no grinding, in between lots of grinding over 60mph.

Was told by Merlin that (although not too common) it is not unusual for the drive shaft to fail internally as it is many parts put together, not a solid piece. Of course, with my luck, I get this problem. The dealer claims the lift and big tires are not affecting it, it is a faulty drive shaft (they think...).

Ascinder, I will get back to you on your drive shaft... Is it both pieces? or just one? There are two parts to the drive shaft according to Merlin. I need to find out which I ordered. Much Thanks!!!

I have both pieces.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Well Cece, that is my exact problem as well so your not the only one, but funny how mine JUST started since going from 31" tires to 32" tires and the 912 springs....although others are not having that problem.....How long did balancing the driveshaft fix your problem?

It didn't really fix it, it made it less noisy for like a week maybe...

Okay, so I was getting my brakes done at the mechanic and he noticed I need a new transfer case mount. Maybe, that's what I've needed all along. I ordered the part from Merlin. I will let you know once it is replaced.

That would definately cause driveshaft noise.

Hey Cece, have you had that part replaced yet? I am wondering if it helped, mine is getting worse, gonna do u joints first than if yours gets fixed with mount I will try that.

I just got the mount yesterday. I gotta bring it in to have it installed. I work today and tomorrow. I will bring it in Friday and let you know...