Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new ride!

My new ride!

I just got back from my road trip and picking up my new VX. I purchased the one out in Des Moines. I got lucky and picked it up for $1500.00. I had to drive 2400 miles to get it but it was worth it!! I just need to figure out what is wrong with the motor and all will be good. Below is some pictures of when I got it home.

Thumbs up

Congrats!! There is plenty of information and help here to get your VX back on the road again. Good Luck!!
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

WELCOME ! ! If the engine is shot, looks like a good V8 candidate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Nice to see ya over here man! Look forward to talking with you more tomorrow! We'll get that puppy back on the road before you know it!!!
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Has it been in a flood?
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Not in a flood but was the daily driver of a teenager. I guess he was playing U-Boat commander with some local mud holes. So I've got some cleaning to do before I am happy with the engine bay. Gonna try a few CHEAP things over the next few days to see if I can get the tapping to go away. The noise sounds more like valvetrain instead of a rod.

Grats on the purchase. Hope the engine repair is a pleasantly inexpensive suprise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

The body looks to be in great shape.....

.....but pleeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz do some rust removal!

Good luck with the engine repairs. Sounds like you got a smoking deal.

Welcome to the fam/addiction!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I definitely plan on fixing the rust. Looking for rust was one of the first things I checked. There is some rust on the frame but just surface rust at this point. The rear sway bar is very rusty so I may need to replace that. But the rust will be taken care of VERY soon.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Be sure to check out the front bumper (behind the front cladding) as this is an area that is known to be an issue...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Gonna try a few CHEAP things over the next few days to see if I can get the tapping to go away. The noise sounds more like valvetrain instead of a rod.
    Hope that's the case - i.e., it's not rod or crank noise. Valves are adjusted via shim over bucket so valve noise is fairly uncommon though - unless lash is way, way out of spec - out as in it has spit a shim out and it's clattering around on top of the head...

A loose nut on the EGR pipe (at bottom of the EGR mount) is a fairly common occurrence with the 6VE1 however - and it sounds a lot like valve clatter - almost as bad as a diesel - but the fix is quick and simple and CHEAP - so check for tightness before you start trying to chase down noise in the valvetrain. If it needs tightening, a 22mm stubby wrench or flex wrench will make life easier.

If it's not the EGR then check your timing belt tensioner ASAP, as they have been known to fail and cause valve train noise. This is very important! You do not want your VX to jump time as it's a PITA to get it happy again and furthermore some say we have an interference engine so it might cost more than just your time. You're coming up on 100K miles so it's time for a new belt and tensioner anyway...

Welcome,

Great price!!!

check the oil pan to see if it is dented (even a small amaount)...Mabey the U-Boat Skipper was Hi-centering it through the ruts and mud$$$

I had my second VX engine toast the crank berrings (the rod berrrings were still good) because the pan had a "small" dent in it...the oil pick-up is like 1/4" off the bottom of the pan!!!! just a small dent and now shes starvin for oil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Welcome,

Great price!!!

check the oil pan to see if it is dented (even a small amaount)...Mabey the U-Boat Skipper was Hi-centering it through the ruts and mud$$$

I had my second VX engine toast the crank berrings (the rod berrrings were still good) because the pan had a "small" dent in it...the oil pick-up is like 1/4" off the bottom of the pan!!!! just a small dent and now shes starvin for oil!!!

Hmmm, good point. All the more reason to get the KILBY "belly pan" skid-plates.

I did a few oil changes on it last night and ran some SeaFoam through the crankcase then put some quality oil back in it. While under there I did not notice any dents on the oil pan but I wasn't looking for anything like that either. It still tapps, if I reve the engine by hand I can feel the tapping so something is definitely knocking against something. RamAirZ has given me some great suggestions as well. I think my next step is to take the valve cover off as the noise sounds like it is coming from where the cam gears are. If all looks well there then I will dig further and see what the timing set looks like. While it is running it idles and reves smooth.

Check the timing belt tensioner.Mine went bad and I thought it was something really bad.It will keep enough tension on the belt so it doesn't jump,but it taps against the bracket and makes a bad noise.If you remove the top cover on the passenger side you can push on the belt and it should be tight .If the tensioner is bad you can make the tapping noise by pushing on the belt. shawn
    1COOLVX