Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: My 1999 Vehicross, "Silvia", progress thread

lol I like the gauges in the dash dangit. I've ran a TON of gauge setups over the years and I love dash mounts wherever possible.

Here's my idea of an optional antenna placement:
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Well with the help of a torch and a gigantic adjustable wrench (to use as my pry bar of sorts), the antenna looks like this now, I'm gonna stick with the rear mount I think. I used a cable clamp on the coax using one of the rear taillight screws and I didn't need to drill any holes in the rear plastic since there was this neat little spot that already had a small gap and the cable fit perfectly. I pulled the side paneling out just enough to slide the cable all the way under to the front and then ran under the carpet over to the CB. I mounted the bracket in a way that I could run the cable real tight without any binding so very little is actually exposed outside the truck.

You need to run by a truck stop, spend 8 bucks and buy a spring for that thing, otherwise you will be hatin life when it really whips the side of the truck, then you need to get some kind of foam ball or tennis ball the protect your truck from the whipping effect.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ya I was already looking into getting a 6" spring with the internal strap. It's a flexy antenna so not sure how bad the whip would be as is, I had a similar antenna on my Rodeo except this one is Firestik and that one was a Wilson. I never had a problem with that antenna. I pulled it back and let it go already lol. Ya looking forward to Uwharrie?

I have the firestick as well, first trip out, no spring, thought it was gonna torque the mount off the roof rack, gots me a spring, no problems, plus I like to see the shadow of it flying around up there and hearing the "whom whom whom" of it flopping around (not sure on the sound effect, but you know what i mean

Which model are you running? I'm gonna add the spring soon as well as a braided ground strap. I got to listen to it today make the whom whom sound lol. Took me a minute to remember that my antenna will do that haha. I turned off the radio and was like "wtf is that, ooohhhh, that's right" lol

Were/are you by chance on any other car forums? Specifically Gulf Coast ones. Some of the gauge mount pics you posted up there look REALLY familiar.

Gulf Coast Muscle, Racing pensacola perhaps?

Hahah, I was on both of those forums for years! Same username, blue Mustang vert. And on the topic at hand, will you be cleaning up the wiring on/around the center console for the CB install?

lol all the wiring is random crap I use throughout the day, some of it is for my car charger for my phone (which is usually in my console so not always out there and the other wires are from the GPS. I have it tucked away when not in use so they aren't always there. The only wire you'll see for the CB is the cord to the MIC. I haven't been on either of those forums in a LONG time, I check in every now and then though

Here is the model I use, I have 2 handsets and three connection boxes.
    http://cobra.com/products//75-wx-st-...d-noaa-weather

This enables us to have one in the wife's truck, one in mine, and one in the tow rig. The guts to the radio are hidden inside the ebrake console, nothing to see.
    Not that yours is bad, but I think mine is a bit neater in the end. It is invisible when the mic is put away in the glovebox. I also like being able to move it from truck to truck as needed. With the antenna on the rack, I usually have one of the longest ranges in the group, even with the small power of the radio. I am 100% happy with it, I even ordered two external speakers a few days ago to add to the setup for the ZUs so we can hear on the trail a bit better.

quick disconnect

mic spot same as yours

hooked up

antenna on rack

Ya I've seen yours before Chris, that's an awesome install! I wasn't sure about the mic mounted controls and had the plans for the ash tray so that's why I didn't go with your setup. Trust me, it kind of annoys me where I had to put it but I'm more concerned about it working.

Well after some cutting (for some reason my camera phone pics won't send to my email or I'd have pics of the cutting etc) and alot of time in the sun, I got the CB in the ash tray. I still have a little room to move it back further but not sure if I want to or not. What do you guys think?

PERFECT! The CB install is done!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

hahahaha almost, think I'm gonna try and move it back a little further when i have teh dash apart later this week or next