Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset from Hell saved the VX ...

Offset from Hell saved the VX ...

... but she won't be on the road for a while.

Traveling up I95 this morning, towing an empty utility trailer, the cars in front of me came to a hard stop. I LEEEEANED on the brakes but with the trailer pushing me, I wasn't gonna stop in time.

I started to head for the shoulder but the Ford Escape in front of me had the same idea. As soon as she realized that she would be able to stop in time, she stayed in her lane & I headed for the shoulder. All this happened in about 0.587 seconds. My front drivers side tire hit her rear bumper and rode up the quarter panel ... ever so gently diflecting me further towards the shoulder. But now I was on 2 wheels. A nice arc sent me safely around the Ford but I came to rest with the front driver's tire resting about 1 1/2 feet off the ground on the side of a Dodge Van.

What a ride!!!

Hope I never do THAT again!!!

Anyway, after the State Trooper took his pix, he asked me to kindly remove my VX from the side of the van. I obligingly did so but when the tires were all on the ground again, it was plainly evident that something was amiss. The front tires were pointing 2 different directions.

The good news is that everyone was OK. The bad news is that I made the news (Wifey called to tell me that the radio was reporting a 7 mile backup).

I don't have any idea what the extent of the damage is yet but I'll keep you posted. As soon as I figger out how to get the pix on my phone downloaded to my 'puter, I'll post them.

Tom

Pix are on page 3 of this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...4&postcount=39
    Last edited by tom4bren : 06/01/2010 at 07:17 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I just KNEW that offset from hell was a great idea!! YAH!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad it went down THIS way, and not the other many baddddddd ways it could have & yer all OK!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Dude that's terrible!!! So sorry to hear about it, definitely keep us posted on the damages, and let me know if there's anything you need my help in hunting down.

I'm glad you're okay, Tom. It'll get fixed and you'll be back on the road in no time. Stay off I-95!

Mark

Good driving!! glad everyone is okay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Tom, glad to hear that everyone is OK, and the VX is in relatively good shape. Sounds like you might have bent, or snapped, a tie rod. Easy fix....heck, Zeus did it on the trails in Moab.

Way to "monster truck" it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Dude that's terrible!!! So sorry to hear about it, definitely keep us posted on the damages, and let me know if there's anything you need my help in hunting down.
    Oh yeah, that's right, Tom. Mav is "just a guy who knows how to get stuff" and I'm his jr.apprentice! Yes, grasshopper, this is how you find VX parts....

Glad all ended well (somewhat anyways)! May be time to upgrade to indy 4x heavy duty tie rods...if I recall they are pretty close in price to new stock ones.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Ya I'm ordering a set this week, keep my stockers as spares. Like I said in the hitch thread, just glad your ok and the VX is ok. Also I can't lie, I can't wait to see your VX parked on top of a van lol. You could use it as a sig pic! Minivan<VX
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Glad everyone is fine Tom.

Only a 7 mile back up? Dude, you can do better than that...

If the damage is more that just the tie rod you might grab that VX in Des Moines for $2K that needs a motor...just sayin.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    If the damage is more that just the tie rod you might grab that VX in Des Moines for $2K that needs a motor...just sayin.
    HMMM!!!! USAA, I have a DEAL for you!!!

Thanks all. The shakes are kinda subsiding now.

Gotta go home & try to get the Eclipse fixded so I can get to work in the morning (still overheating ... Bye Bye thermostat).

phew Tom be careful out there! glad youre alright and sounds like the only damage to the VX was easily replaceable stuff (and not body)

let me know if I can do anything to help get the ol girl back on the road!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Tom, are you sure it wasn't the offset from Hell that kept you from braking in time? Wait, I'm not RiffRaff! I bet if your VX wasn't yellow you wouldn't have been going as fast and you could have stopped. I do believe I have an extra tie rod thanks to Ascinder so shoot me a PM if you think you need a driver's side replacement - it's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it!

Now... if we are waiting for you to figure out how to work with images we may never see them.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Glad to hear no one was injured.

Tom, 2 things:

#1: Glad to hear that you are fine. A little shaken up, but good none the less.

#2: Those pics are going to be awesome! Can't wait to see them.

Congratulations on making the news. Good thing you weren't transporting any deactivated landmines this morning! You would have been the lead story.