Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intermittant High Idle (again)

Considering ANY car with power steering will have idle flutter sitting idle while turning the wheel, I don't know that I would be TOO concerned, but ya, that makes sense.

At least you have it narrowed down. Now start small and work your way through the system for possible culprits.

Let the fun begin!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

'nother set of numbers, this time ambient temperature 90ºF after driving for approx 30 minutes in light city traffic (never broke 40mph, never stopped for more than 30 sec at a time)

Idle while in Drive, AC full blast

Water Temp - 184ºF
    RPM - 775
    Throttle Pos - 0
    Air/Fuel Ratio - 14.7
    HP - 12.8
    Voltage - 12.8
    Intake Temp - 155
    Gallons/Hr - .76
    IGN - 18
    Engine Load - 6
    Closed Loop
    Manifold Pressure - 6.6

Idle while in Drive, AC off

Water Temp - 191ºF
    RPM - 785
    Throttle Pos - 0
    Air/Fuel Ratio - 14.7
    HP - 10.4
    Voltage - 13.7
    Intake Temp - 159
    Gallons/Hr - .63
    IGN - 18
    Engine Load - 5
    Closed Loop
    Manifold Pressure - 5.4

Idle while in neutral, AC off

Water Temp - 190ºF
    RPM - 858
    Throttle Pos - 0
    Air/Fuel Ratio - 14.7
    HP - 7.8
    Voltage - 13.7
    Intake Temp - 163
    Gallons/Hr - ??
    IGN - 16
    Engine Load - 3
    Closed Loop
    Manifold Pressure - 3.9

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Awesome work ETL! That at least gives my numbers some meaning and a baseline to compare with. Yes, I'm sure your intake will effect readings somewhat, but its a start. Thanks again.

Really, seriously. That was above and beyond the call of duty. It was exactly the kind of data I was looking for. I propose a thread where we can all share our data.
    Last edited by Grif : 06/03/2010 at 07:47 PM Reason: More platitudes.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I am having same problem with idle, had this last year exactly and cleaned ICV and replaced FPR (Thanks Jay) and problem fixed, but its doing it again. I just replaced the ICV in the NAPA parking lot cuz I am sick of cleaning the other one but problem not fixed so I am wondering if I should try this power steering fluid sensor people speak of....and does anyone know where it is located? I am sure near the pump but a photo would make it less frustrating for me. OR should I replace the FPR again.....what are the odds that would go bad in 1 yrs time???
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Sorry Lisa, I'm not sure where that PS sensor is. My mechanic just unhooked it and called it good.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Grif thank you for the speedy email and photo, I figured it had to be on the throttle body LOL. This morning it does run smoother than I remember it running in a long time....maybe it was the throttle position sensor or gremlins that will pop up again in a few days or months lol

Grif,
    I wasnt sure if you saw my original post so I will include it. I will try unhooking the power steering switch this weekend. Is this a fluid pressure swithch? Also I recently changed my IAC. It seemed to fix the problem but only lasted a week. I find it hard to believe that a IAC get durty in a week.

What do you know about the EVAP system? The one with the canister. It has 2 hoses runnig from it. One has an orangish band on it. They connect to a seleniod but which end goes where on the seleniod? The two ports are stacked on top of each other so I would refer to them as the outer an the inner. On the canister the orange banded one is smack dab in the middle on the top.

As far as the obd ii, thank you for your input. Ill do some more research and see what I can find. I think what I heard you say is that the information is there, just have to find a way to tap into it. I will post some charts that may help iluminate some of the problems I am having.

"I am having a hell of a time with my VX idling. I seem to happen when the engine is cold and start suddenly and occurs randomly. I get idle hunts when in neutral and in park. I seems to run great once warm. It is my daily driver. very short run to the freeway then 27 miles to work. Never a problem on the freeway. I put my ScanXL ObD II scanner on it and notice the following;
    MIL Light Codes; P0171, P0172, P0174
    absolute manifold PSI Max =14.9 Mean = 8.1 Min=2.8
    short term fuel trim bank 1 Max=90% (sometimes at idle) Minimum=-21%
    Long term fuel trim bank 1 Max=24% Mean=10% Min=1.6
    Max Air Flow Max9.1lbs/Min Min3.8lbs/min
    Fuel rate Max6.1gal/hr Mean2.5gal/hr

I have changed the IAC, cleaned the Throttle body, replaced the vacuum relief valve (mounted to the supercharger, opens when in idle to relief pressure back to uncompressed side of SC). I have re-installed the intake manifold to insure there wasn't a related vacuum leak. "

Thanks again.

Shinkson,

Sorry I did not reply to your post yesterday. I cannot comment on your OBD readings as I'm not a mechanic nor claim to be even a shadetree one. I'm more of a technologist.

I only know what I've done to mine and what eventually fixed my problems and you have read those results already.

I'm nowhere near qualified to comment on S/C setup as my VX (sadly) doesn't have one. Looking today tho it seems you have found a thread to address your concerns. Larry "Ldub" is prolly your go-to guy for that.

Could someone post an image of the PS sensor location please? TIA
    face the mirror

Please please please... I need a pic of the PS sensor as I'm so frustrated with the high idle at start up every morning... Urghhhh!

Just found this in the VX shop manual to help with identifying if the PS switch is bad:

POWER–ASSISTED STEERING SYSTEM 2A–33
    "Pressure Switch Check the switch operation as follows: With engine idling and A/C on, turn the steering wheel fully to the left; compressor should interrupt and engine idle speed will increase. Shut off A/C and again turn
    steering fully to the left; engine idle will increase. If system fails to function properly, disconnect connector at the pressure switch and repeat system check while testing continuity across disconnected SW connector."

I don't know exactly where this switch is but looks like it's at the bottom of the steering pump - wish someone has a pic

Julian,

Give Lisa a call. In the thread it sounded like Grif sent her some pix.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Thx - funny thing was when I told Lisa that PS switch could be a problem, she told me I'm crazy

Considering the source ... I wouldn't worry too much about that

Mebbe you should call Grif instead. He doesn't have any 'tech pix' in his gallery, just 'glamour shots'. Hope he saved them elsewhere.

I had the same problem when I first acquired mine turned out all I had to do was unplug the sensor from the power steering hydraulic system at the power steering pump. I think but I cannot remember that I plugged it back in a few days later or sometime down the road and haven't had the problem return.