Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SUPER FLEXY IFS ????? who wants it?

SUPER FLEXY IFS !!!!! UPDATE!!! PROTOTYPE FINISHED!

So, on the long drive home from MOAB, I did some deep thinking.....

Somewhere in the state of semi-awake-daze, coffeed-up, and medicated down, I came up with a genius idea for IFS....

We all know that the main setback with independent front suspension is the fact that when one front tire climes an obstical, the other tire is not "forced" down as a live-solid axled rig would be....removing/disconnecting the swaybar helps, but is not a complete solution...

So I have devised a true solution, and will be releasing photos of the prototype design soon!!!!!

Without revealing all my secrets, here is the general idea....
    It is basically an adjustable link, installed in JUST the right location, on the Torson bars, that provides "cross-force" articulation....

I know, it sounds to good to be true....but I beleive it will work perfect....
    I will post up pics ASAP....

If it works as promised, how many VXers would be interested in a inexpensive kit???
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 05/21/2010 at 12:33 PM

The other limitation is the actual amount of down travel allowed by the front control arms and CV's. I never had a problem with my Rodeo getting the tire to come down all the way, just all the way isn't that far, especially with the t-bars cranked up, even with low-profile snubbers, but looking forward to see what you come up with.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Hey, I thought about ways to improve artic some time ago as well. I looked at replacing the shocks with air shocks and plumbing a switched manifold that would allow the shocks to work independently in one setting. The other setting though would allow forced artic by letting the air from the compressing shock flow into the drooping shock. Thoughts?

I see what you are talking about though but don't like the limitation of always having forced artic...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Alan, with the exception of the mud pit on Kane Creek, I like all of your ideas... so count me in.
    ________
    Herbal Health Shop
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:34 PM

Your correct....

However, take for example the pic in your sig, of the Rodeo....

The front left is not compressed, AT ALL....

Imagine, for a moment that, as the front right dropped to full droop, that the front left had REDUCED spring preasure as a result.....therefore allowing it (front left) to bottom out in full compression, while the other is at full droop....

Thereby allowing full utilization of all your wheel travel, not just a couple inches of drop, or compression (as in your photo)
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 05/19/2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Hey, I thought about ways to improve artic some time ago as well. I looked at replacing the shocks with air shocks and plumbing a switched manifold that would allow the shocks to work independently in one setting. The other setting though would allow forced artic by letting the air from the compressing shock flow into the drooping shock. Thoughts?

I see what you are talking about though but don't like the limitation of always having forced artic...
    This has been done before, with air shocks cross-linked (air tubes connected)
    The probem is that air is not DIRCET enough....that is to say air can be commpressed some....Hydraulic fluid would work better in theory as it does not commpress like air and therefore would be more direct-acting....I thought much about this design too. however all the hydraulic lines and work may make it less desirable and more expensive than a direct solid steel link....
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 05/19/2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote Originally Posted by phines View Post
    Alan, with the exception of the mud pit on Kane Creek, I like all of your ideas... so count me in.
    LOL....Well someone had to at least try it....

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post

As BigMeat said, it's been done and here's a good write-up
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/air_shocks/

Also I agree hydraulic lines would be better but then as stated, the plumbing and risk of tearing a line and not only losing pressure but having fluid everywhere would not be fun lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Your correct....

However, take for example the pic in your sig, of the Rodeo....

The front left is not compressed, AT ALL....

Imagine, for a moment that, as the front right dropped to full droop, that the front left had REDUCED spring preasure as a result.....therefore allowing it (front left) to bottom out in full compression, while the other is at full droop....

Thereby allowing full utilization of all your wheel travel, not just a couple inches of drop (as in your photo)
    I understand that, but in my particular situation (hard to see in the pic), that full compression wouldn't have helped a whole lot on the passenger side, it was a good couple feet in the air but yes I understand what your talking about, just mentioning that we will still be limited, just not AS much.

UPDATE!!!! The prototype is finished!!!!

Well folkers, I am EXTRA pleased to say that my idea DOES work as promised!!!!

Take a look at the snpshots...they speak for themselves!!!!

Both pics are with swaybar removed....However i will snap a few more with the swaybar re-attached....

Here is the flex BERFORE the Mod....

And here is the flex AFTER the Mod...

There is a BIG difference in the way the front suspension works, now...The front will now "stuff" one wheel into full compression BEFORE the rear is at max artic....THIS IS A HUGE BENEFIT FOR ALL IFS ISUZUS....

The front now articulates BETTER than a live axle would (up to the point of suspension travel limitations)...Thats right, I said BETTER than Solid Front Axle....

Heres Why it works...

In the pics, as the front climes the obstical, the drivers side Torsen bar is now transfering the extra preasure (from compressing on the obstical) to the other sides Torsen bar...the Passenger side now has nearly double the spring rate as the Driver side....

And of course, it works the same way when the other tire (passenger) climes an obstical, too....Kind of a self-leveling system...also, this puts a WAY more even amount of ground preasure on BOTH the front tires at all times!!!!

For street use, I am incorperating a removable lock-pin that will revert back to OEM style opperation when in place...remove the pin, and it articulates like the best of em!!!!....

I will be making a kit, avaiable soon for ALL isuzus! (Kits for other torsen bar vehicals will come later!)

Allan
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 05/21/2010 at 01:00 PM

That's awesome man! Good work!!! How does it ride with it on the road? Always nice to see people coming up with new ideas!!! Never doubted your idea my thing was just the downtravel part of it which we really don't have much control on how far your tire can come down. Now down travel wouldn't be near as much as with a solid axle but still that is an AWESOME improvement and people better keep close eyes on there cladding lol. Any pics of the install?
    Last edited by RamAirZ : 05/21/2010 at 01:05 PM

You da man! I had faith in you, so not suprised at all that you got it to work. Looking forward to doing the install.
    ________
    Mng san francisco
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:36 PM

Hmmmmm... want to test it out in Moab next weekend??? I'll meet you there. hahaha
    ________
    HEMP
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:36 PM

Alan,
    I'll second what Paul said and I'll say it again.....You da man!
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

WOW, you waste no time at all! That's awesome man! I was thinking about your idea just last night and realized, "Huh, all he would need to do is have a disconnect intergrated into it to put it back to stock handling." So KUDOS, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    LOL....Well someone had to at least try it....
    I looked at it for about 2 seconds and then remembered how much I hated cleaning all that mess out of every little spot that it finds its way into.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)