Thread: Torque Binding? No Codes..........

Torque Binding? No Codes..........New Info w/ questions

My VX has symptoms of severe torque binding that started on Sunday. I've gone through all the connections, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and wheel air pressure. They are fine, the weird thing is I have no codes. I jumped the #5 and #8 pins on the OBD and there is not any stored codes.
    Going straight there is a whinning/slightly grinding feeling. My TOD display is applying appropiate power to wheels. When I make a tight turn the wheels chirp and it feels like they rubbing on something. The transmission is only 1.5 years old, I believe that if the sensors were bad they would send out a code. Is there anything else to check before taking the VX to the garage.

UPDATE
    Ok, I took the VX into the shop yesterday and the mechanic determined the something something in the Transfer Case is at fault and is estimating the repair to cost between $1,300-$1,600. I couldn't really hear what he was saying as I had a thousand things going through my head. I know I don't want to crack open the TC and try to rebuild it, but how hard is it to swap out the transfer case? Can one person do it? I couldn't find any and How to's on the site. In the repair manual it looks pretty straight forward. I believe the swap out can be done without having to pull the transmission. Is this correct? Your help would be much appreciated..........Thank You, Jeff

Update#2
    Well, I decided to order a transfer case from a parts dealer in Utah. Placed the order last Monday and recieved the TC in AZ on Thurs. I'll have to post thier info...sometime in the future. Anyways, did the swap over the weekend and everything went suprisingly smooth. No more brake steer and not peep coming from the driveline. It's actually quieter than when we purchased the VX with 23,000 miles. If anyone has any questions about the TC swap please feel free to ask. Thx Jeff
    Last edited by wwstone : 05/17/2010 at 11:53 PM Reason: Added new info and new question.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by wwstone View Post
    My VX has symptoms of severe torque binding that started on Sunday. I've gone through all the connections, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and wheel air pressure. They are fine, the weird thing is I have no codes. I jumped the #5 and #8 pins on the ABS and there is not any stored codes.
    Going straight everything is good, my TOD display is applying appropiate power to wheels. When I make a tight turn the wheels chirp and it feels like they rubbing on something. The transmission is only 1.5 years old, I believe that if the sensors were bad they would send out a code. Is there anything else to check before taking the VX to the garage.
    Have you changed the gear oil in the rear diff recently?

Rear diff. was done at the same time the trans. was rebuilt.....

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by wwstone View Post
    Rear diff. was done at the same time the trans. was rebuilt.....
    Then it's possible that there was no LSD additive included with the fresh gear lube.
    That'll sometimes cause symptoms such as you describe, as the clutches in the limited slip get too much traction without the additive.
    Other than that...
    Since I put MUCH larger tires on, they will rub the front sway bar at full lock, but I don't think that's your issue.

My personal favorite:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ada.aspx

Other choices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEGS-60120-Limit...item5d28b85b55

http://cgi.ebay.com/LUBEGARD-LIMITED...=item1e03c4870

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...2&scid=FROOGLE
    Last edited by Ldub : 05/05/2010 at 01:02 AM

see revised thread up top. Thx

I had the same exact problem after playing in some deep mud. Couldn't turn, it would chirp, and all of a sudden a "thunk" like something broke loose in the front. Took it straight home, pressure washed out all the mud and voila, no more problems, which leads me to believe it was a sensor problem. I had no lights, TOD was fine.
    My thought was that it was ABS. I didn't check for codes. But fortunately mine went away, and no problems since. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Well, I decided to order a transfer case from a parts dealer in Utah. Placed the order last Monday and recieved the TC in AZ on Thurs. I'll have to post thier info...sometime in the future. Anyways, did the swap over the weekend and everything went suprisingly smooth. No more brake steer and not peep coming from the driveline. It's actually quieter than when we purchased the VX with 23,000 miles. If anyone has any questions about the TC swap please feel free to ask. Thx Jeff