Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4wd Hi Lo delete?

4wd Hi Lo delete?

Since I won't be doin' any true hardcore 4 wheelin', I was wondering if the gear shifter for 4wd hi-lo could be deleted. We really like the sure footed feeling the TOD gives on the road, but I don't know when 4wd lo would ever be used... since we live in the asphalt desert.

It seems to me that would be an ideal spot for a couple drink holders... So as to stay hydrated in this heat...

Any thoughts to this mod?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I say leave it as is even if you do not plan on using it. You never know when you might want to hit the unplowed roads of northern Az to get some fresh powder ski/snowboard time or may need to forge your way across a monsoon season swollen wash to rescue some damsel in distress.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    Since I won't be doin' any true hardcore 4 wheelin', I was wondering if the gear shifter for 4wd hi-lo could be deleted. We really like the sure footed feeling the TOD gives on the road, but I don't know when 4wd lo would ever be used... since we live in the asphalt desert.

It seems to me that would be an ideal spot for a couple drink holders... So as to stay hydrated in this heat...

Any thoughts to this mod?
    What????? This is a bad joke, right?

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

You must be joking, right??? If you really want a AWD "crossover" type vehicle without a 4WL shifter, there are plenty of them currently available on the market from nearly every major manufacturer. Before I would attempt to remove/delete the 4WL shifter within the VX, I would highly recommend a FOR SALE sign be placed in the side and rear windows of the VX. Sell the VX and move on to something more akeen to your personal lifestyle and environment. Butchering the VX by removing/deleting the 4WL shifter is not a worthy mod.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Well...at least it would be easy to pick a name for your VX...

You could call it "neuter"...

I say remove the center console, take a Dremel to the shift lever and cut it down to the floorboard, then retrofit cup holders. Personally I wouldn't do it, but hey it's your VX!

There's other ideas for cupholders, before you go through all the trouble of trying to delete the 4lo...

I got this from ultimatecupholders.com...metal tab slips under housing. Felt lined stainless steel "arms" can be squeezed together or opened to fit bottle size. They are for mostly German luxury cars, but I called company and he helped me select one that would work in VX. It does NOT get in the way of my leg, whatsoever, doesn't even touch my leg, but the bottle/can does sit at an angle, but if tab arm was lengthened, you could bend it to more of a 90 degree angle and can would sit more upright. I Love it! Think I paid about $25-$30.

Can't recall the name of this right now, but it fits with a slight dremel action to one side of base, widens and closes to fit bottle/can size, about $20 I think.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

...besides,, you never know when you will need it to crawl over the speed bumps at the mall!

I KNEW I would cause an uproar with that question...

You are right Billy, about the speed bumps... I have a 350Z with lowered suspension that almost gets high sided tryin' to get over those things.

With the 20" wheels and 50 series tires I put on the VX, it's more of an Urban Assault Vehicle we bought as a daily driver for my wife. She is a nurse and an instructor, so she goes all over the Phoenix area. The VX is a world better in handling than the Rodeo she owned for the last 10 years.

I did however just think of a possible need for 4 lo... Pulling a boat out from a boat launch. (that's if we get a boat)

Is this thread a joke. Have you done no research on the forum. What would you do when the zombie revolution comes? Bet you wish you had 4lo when you were trying to get out of some mall parking lot...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    You must be joking, right??? If you really want a AWD "crossover" type vehicle without a 4WL shifter, there are plenty of them currently available on the market from nearly every major manufacturer. Before I would attempt to remove/delete the 4WL shifter within the VX, I would highly recommend a FOR SALE sign be placed in the side and rear windows of the VX. Sell the VX and move on to something more akeen to your personal lifestyle and environment. Butchering the VX by removing/deleting the 4WL shifter is not a worthy mod.
    I don't know of any other crossover that has 2 doors and the great overall looks as the VX. We don't need a huge people mover... It's just me, my wife, and the 2 huskies.
    Also, what else has the appearance of the VX for $7k?

Like it or not, the santa fe shares some front end, especially the fenders, similarities to the VX

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Like it or not, the santa fe shares some front end, especially the fenders, similarities to the VX

But is it a 2 door?

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    I don't know of any other crossover that has 2 doors and the great overall looks as the VX. We don't need a huge people mover... It's just me, my wife, and the 2 huskies.
    Well, I just found your Wifey's next vehicle that has great sexy looks, is specifically a 2-door Coupe and AWD without the dreaded 4WL shift lever, and also has the required cup holders!!! Enter the 2010 Audi - "A5" Coupe with Quattro AWD. Just drive the VX on down to your local Audi dealer and trade it in on a "A5" Coupe (buy "used" so you can save a few pennies). You will surely get lucky with the Wifey after you both return home with her new "A5"!!! Plus, your two Huskies will just love poking their noses out the window after they're done chewing up the rear leather seats. You're welcome!!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Let me say it again for you Marlin.......................What????? This is a bad joke, right?

Peace.
    Tom