Thread: FIXED - "Can't get out of Park" issue...

Talking FIXED - "Can't get out of Park" issue...

Well, I think I’ve solved the mystery of the “Help, I can’t shift out of Park!” issue…
    After taking apart my center console, I found that there is an electric solenoid that actuates upon the activation of the brake switch (under the dash). This solenoid’s plunger pushes a metal “stopper” into the path of a blue cam that is part of the transmission lever’s push-button mechanism.
    So, when you try to shift out of Park by pushing the lever’s button, the metal stopper keeps it from going…
    Now, if the brake switch is having “issues” like mine, then you have more than one problem… The brake lights aren’t working either! I proved this by having my wife watch the lights while I used the switch during the “failure” period of the shift issue.
    While working under the dash, looking at the brake lever-to-switch contact area, I noticed a plastic bushing that actually does the contacting of the switch’s plunger. When I removed it, there was a rather deep divot where contact is made… this can’t be good either! So, I took a piece of thin stainless steel sheet metal and cut/formed it to cover the area and bonded it with SuperGlue (worked great).
    In addition, I tapped the brake switch with the flashlight a few times to see if it would help it… it DID!
    After fixing the plastic piece and the brake switch, all is good again!
    (Note: I’ll be watching the brake switch for future failure. I would rather have replaced the switch and plastic piece, but this repair works just fine for now).
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Thumbs up VIDEO ADDED!

Here you go... for those who (like me) are more visual than not...

Also, I realized that I did not mention on the video that the fix was a combination of the plastic piece fix AND tapping on the brake switch. Replacing the switch is the most sure fix, but as I said in the previous post, this remedy worked just fine...
    (and is still 100% perfect today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHk2eTnW2lk

Hope this helps someone!

---JIM---

Gear Finally...

Ok, seems that my "tapping" on the brake switch to free it up only helped for a week. It failed again yesterday.
    So, I went to NAPA Auto Parts today and bought a new brake switch for $37!

Fixed... for good!
    It took about 2 minutes to replace.
    I can physically feel that the old switch is bad.
    Glad I bought the new one.

Please note...
    The switch is only one possible cause of this issue. There are other elements that could go bad. MINE was the switch...

Some others are:
    - Solenoid for shifter lock
    - Something in the cable system from the shifter to the ignition (semi-different symptoms, but similar)

great little youtube video thanks for taking the time to make it. It's little things like that that makes life that much easier and more fun. i'll keep an eye out for any future problems in that area as it could cause big problems if you're trying to get home. regards

that did it for me.

Another shifter stuck in park. Thank god it happened in my garage and not out and about, that would a been a disaster, anyway vid helped 100% !

I would recommend that everyone fix this little plastic piece according to the Vid before it happens to you, and you could be stuck anywhere at anytime, just my 2 cents.
    LFen

I am doing this job in the morning, brake switch out

Jim, thank you!

Thumbs up Thanks!

Do you have a part #? I think I will go get one just in case...
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

I think ya'll cursed me by updating this thread. I got the same problem now but mine is due to my cam switch being gunked up and not releasing. Time to pull it apart and see if I can clean it up..

OK, so mine was really gunked up and I bought a bwd one from advanced auto. Let me till ya, if you adjust it to far down, it will fix the problem but then you have the issue of your brakes not releasing. Backing it off and adjusting it just enough is the key.

I had this issue too....but only during our below freezing temps the last couple of weeks.

Talking lock out

i see you figured it out,,,,,,,that helps me,,,,with the key off i can shift to neutral where it alows me to start it ,,,,,i figure no ones ever going to steel it ,,,,but with key on it wont come out of park thanks for your imfo

Hi All - Please HELP...Same issue, but - forgive me if I sound stupid - how in the hell did you guys even access the switch from under the dash???

I have a bulbous HVAC duct blocking "easy" access to the switch.

Does the dash panel below the steering column need to be removed, followed by removal of the HVAC duct?

It's so friggin' tight down there, I cannot see any other way...please help...thanx much.

UPDATE: Issue Resolved...

The easiest repair I ever made - simply drove it to my mechanic, and let him contort himself into that narrow foot-well. Easy like Sunday morning...
    Last edited by mikieg : 03/26/2020 at 05:24 PM Reason: UPDATE - ISSUE RESOLVED