Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2010 official unofficial ZuZoo Moab picture, video and tell your stories thread!

The tail pipes are indeed Tom's (Tomdietrying).
    As far as coordinates just do a search for the trail name and gps coordinates and you should find sites that list them.
    As for Lions Back...it is now closed...private property, so no more vehicles on Lions Back.
    There was some pretty good VX carnage but I will let those individuals tell the story since I was not there.

Today I went to 7 Mile Rim with Todd Adams. Was a good trip...lots of scenery and a few chalenging spots to keep me entertained. Here are a few pics from the day.

Heading into the trail

A tight squeze in "The Toaster"

Broken Arche

Uranium Arche

Lunch...Moab style

Our trail leader...Todd and Linda

Tomorrow I pack up, eat some banana walnut pancakes in town, and take the long drive home. I will post a lot more pics once I get there and get some civilized internet service!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Got home late Sat. afternoon, awesome week, beyond words!! I especially want to say a very special thank you to the many folks that helped me throughout the week, kept me from falling and such, it really meant a lot to me. This is a terrific group!! And Dub, man, those chocolate monkees were awesome, as always!..hummm. maybe the 151 rum could have contributed to my walking difficulties?

Billy ya got some really bad timin' there on that pic! Glad you only mentioned Jo!

And yes, PK, as a matter of fact, that is my rack! It held my spare quite nicely, especially with my custom ratchet strap in black with purple paw prints! (Well, OK, I also had the Yakima spare tire carrier holding it securely). And Tom (aka Rodney Dangerfield), yes, I know yer innocent on this one....it's pure PK!

And another thing PK, in yer honor, while sitting at the "stoop", Lisa (VX Crazy) was comparing.....um....er...um...rack sizes between her and I.....somehow yer name came up......well, we were a bit drunk when that happened! You'd a loved it though!

Here's a few pics, have more to come tomorrow from Dave's camera (we even let that blindingly bright yellow FJ come with us on Thursday on Fins -N-Things.) I listed some details/comments on the pics in my gallery. Most of these are from Top of The World on Tuesday, which was the formerly known as "VX-only" run and can be done by a stock VX (although bigger tires does help a lot!). An amazingly beautiful trail, and not boring by any stretch, despite what Marlin said about it! Remember Chris, different strokes....not everybody wants or can handle a ton of carnage & broken CVs.

Lining up at the Portal campsite ready to head out to Top of the World: We had about 18 VXs, 2 or 3 Troopers, 1 FJ, 1 4Runner.

Heading through the canyons to get to TOTW:

At start of TOTW, airing down:
    Proton - Orion
    Ebony -MS Hardeman
    Ebony -triathlete
    Trooper -Big Jim
    Silver with bull bar- phines
    Black FJ - Jay Dunford
    Red Trooper -BigSwede
    White 4Runner -pbkid

Along TOTW:
    VX KAT, Orion (Mr. Scary Hook), MSHardeman, JoFotoz

Along TOTW:
    Big Jim, Big Meat, JoFotoz, MSHardeman, Orion, VX KAT

Along TOTW:
    From back- LDub, Big Meat, VXorado, then Scott Harness or tomdietrying (can't quite tell)

tomdietrying on the ledge:

I'm King of the World..er, um, no, I'm Rig of the Month, that's it!
    That's a really fine snow that started falling, it was pretty wild!

Group shot: kinda L to R:
    Back row:
    Jean jacket, red scarf- Big Jim
    Royal blue Tee -?
    Sunglasses, beard - Kodiak (Richard)
    crew cut- BigSwede (Steve)
    Crew cut- peach shirt, jean jacket - Jay Dunford
    Ball cap on Jay's L shoulder - Gismo42 -(Dave)
    Black knit cap, crossed arms - Orion (Greg)
    Silver hair -Larry Gammon
    Black ball cap & sunglasses, beard - LDub
    Has hands on shoulders of TLMP (Pat)
    Yellow jacket - Jofotoz (Jo)
    Navy ball cap - pbkid (Jack)
    Tan ball cap, sunglasses -phines (Paul)
    Gray sweatshirt- Paul's wife Lauren
    Light colored shorts - MSHardeman (Mark)
    Light T-short, hat with brim - tomdietrying (Tom)
    Ball cap on backwards, navy sweatshirt - VXorado (Jon)

Kneeling, green jacket & hat - Scott Harness
    Tan shirt - VX KAT - (Sue)
    navy ball cap, navy sweatshirt -VX Crazy -(Lisa)
    Sitting, shorts & navy sweatshirt -Dumke - (Rob)
    Turquoise sweatshirt - Diane -pbkid's sister
    White Tee, shorts, squatting - triathlete -(Billy)

More scenic pics from TOTW:
    From back -Mark, tomdietrying, Larry Gammon, Scott Harness, VXorado, tjh (Travis)

Dumke, Mark, tomdietrying

Fins-N-Things:
    LDub, tjh, hubby Dave's FJ, VX KAT, Mark, Big Jim
    Last edited by VX KAT : 05/16/2010 at 02:58 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

LDub going down, Big Jim spotting

Dave sliding down:

Check out the scenery with the VXs further down the trail:

My turn....comin' doooooowwwnnnnnn!

Looking up at hill I just came down

Last edited by VX KAT : 05/16/2010 at 10:12 AM

Last edited by VX KAT : 05/16/2010 at 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=VX KAT;193889]

And yes, PK, as a matter of fact, that is my rack! It held my spare quite nicely, especially with my custom ratchet strap in black with purple paw prints! (Well, OK, I also had the Yakima spare tire carrier holding it securely). And Tom (aka Rodney Dangerfield), yes, I know yer innocent on this one....it's pure PK!

And another thing PK, in yer honor, while sitting at the "stoop", Lisa (VX Crazy) was comparing.....um....er...um...rack sizes between her and I.....somehow yer name came up......well, we were a bit drunk when that happened! You'd a loved it though!

Wow Sue,

First up, thanks for the photos
    from all of us poor plebs that could not make it.

But then you go rub salt into my wounds.
    Just thinking about you and Lisa, thinking about racks and me at the same time, and me not there to share the experience.
    Wow that sucks --- (ooops, bad image there)

One of these years I will get to Moab and the Stoop, and taste the famous Moonkees.

Gotta find my way there first.
    Where is America???

PK

PS - changed my signature. LOL
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

psst!

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    psst!
    Hey Travis! Came all the way from Louisiana! You were awesome! (That's him above in the Dragon) You were on street tires, yet conquered some really tough stuff, you've got the knack for finding the perfect line and modulating the skinny pedal just right! Can't wait to see when you get your new tires & wheels, wow!

Mark goin' down drop, showin' some air on left rear tire!

Me approaching the drop with sharp drop off on right -gotta hug that left side!

Way hairier than it appears!!

My turn showin' some air!

Mark is an excellent spotter!

Lots of sand and big pits made it a harder to get up:
    Here's Travis, front right tire in pit, but he then tried a different line and just nailed it, used e-brake, and up and over! I followed his line!

Gettin' heavy on the skinny pedal!

Got past the drop on right side using e-brake, got up no problem!

Last edited by VX KAT : 05/16/2010 at 10:17 AM

Smile Home at last.

We made it home after 8 hours of driving on Friday and 18 hours of driving on Saturday.

After almost 2 hours of driving at night through a blizzard whiteout and icy roads, I now remember why I avoided the Vail Pass most years. Man that was scary as heck! Kudos to those who have to deal with that year round.

On with the pics;

The stoop.

The gang.

Before the Jager...

Robert getting the kind of squeeze he likes...

Paul going the hard way...

The ultra-rare Utah Yeti... To find him, listen for his call: "Fix me another!"

The opportunity could just not be passed up

Yee-haw!

Start planning for next year ALL! Let's book all that one side of rooms!

Cheers.

Thumbs up

Awesome pics VX Kat, Billy and thanks for sharing. Sue, how did you do being "stock" and hopefully did not damage that beautiful Foxfire?
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

Quote Originally Posted by lasturbo View Post
    Awesome pics VX Kat, Billy and thanks for sharing. Sue, how did you do being "stock" and hopefully did not damage that beautiful Foxfire?
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    My turn showin' some air!
    Last year, bone stock- got some scuffs on the gas tank skid plate, and a few scuffs on the lowest part of rear cladding (they're off to left here, black color), and flattened the front lower bars of my bull bar. Also took a 2" chunk/gash out of rim of wheel.

This year with the 285/60-18s, lifted it by 1 1/4", made a world of difference! Plus the Kilby plates came in handy, hit them a few times, but not much.
    Again, caught some good scuffs on lower rear cladding, seen in this pic as a whitish triangle shape, and the gas tank skid plate. (Need some Kilby's for that area!!)

Also, front right wheel well arch cladding took a heavier scuff from a tree branch/bush....better than falling off the left side!
    Plus some typical pinstripes on the side cladding, but nothing on the paint.
    No tire or rim damage at all. No mechanical damage either.

None of it really bothers me though! It's well worth it!

BIGGEST ISSUE: Refinish/Restorer chips off when abraded by anything like bushes/branches!! So I have many areas on front fender cladding that's just chipped to all he!l.... Since I can't remove it, all I can do is slap on another coat.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND R/R IF YOU DO ANY WHEELING!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Last year, bone stock- got some scuffs on the gas tank skid plate, and a few scuffs on the lowest part of rear cladding.

This year again, caught some good scuffs on lower rear cladding, seen in this pic as a whitish triangle shape, and the gas tank skid plate. (Need some Kilby's for that area!!)
    Nice pic's Sue. Hmmm; regarding rear area skid plate, fellow VX member "MARLIN" mentioned earlier that the CURT Rear Hitch (hang-down model) works quite well as a rear skid on severe departure angles. Essentially, the CURT Rear Hitch will take the damage/scuffing instead of the rear cladding/gas tank. Just a thought for ya'.

EDIT: Case and point. See video in this thread Post #68 of fellow VX member "KODIAK" using his CURT Rear Hitch to slide off a large rock in the road at video time mark 1:50 -- 2:23.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 05/17/2010 at 07:57 PM

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I just got home an hour ago and I miss everyone so much! Very good times! Sue thanks for posting pics, I took 400 that are uploading now......way fun! Looking forward to next year, when we get the dates figured out we need to book the room #'s like Sue said!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

JEALOUS! JEALOUS! JEALOUS! Thanks for all the great pictures. It's nice to put a face on all of your Internet personalities and it's fun to see you guys challenging yourselves on tough trails Much Aloha from Kona ( has anyone figured out how to drive one of this things over an ocean yet? )