Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brakes need to be done

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)

Brakes need to be done

And I'm all for the OEM pads, but at $250 for the entire set someone help me justify it...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    And I'm all for the OEM pads, but at $250 for the entire set someone help me justify it...
    Ummmm...It's only money?

Did that help?...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Ummmm...It's only money?

Did that help?...
    Gosh, I feel so much better now...ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Gosh, I feel so much better now...ROFL
    I think of it as a $50.00 a yr investment, since a set of pads usually last 4 yrs.

That better?...

Brakes are not something you should skimp on. Several members have used aftermarket pads & didn't like them from a performance perspective. That's enough for me to stick with OEM.

On the flip side, I've used aftermarket pads on other vehicles & they NEVER seem to last as long as OEM. What was saved on initial purchase was lost in re-do.

"There's never time to do it right ... but there's always time to do it over"

Words of wisdom passed down from dear ol' Dad!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I actually looked into replacing brakes altogether with a Brembo kit but there is nothing remotely close to an proper ISUZU fitment for us. I suppose some brute work could be done to get some application to work, but I can;t imagine the cost of that on top of a big brake kit alone.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

How 'bout this: NO squeaking/brake noise, almost ZERO brake dust on the wheels, and incredible longevity - that work for ya'? My VX has 64K miles on it, all pads are original, with ~90% left on 'em. You routinely see folks on this forum that are replacing their pads for the FIRST time with 100K+ miles on 'em...

UPDATE...

Took the VX to the old Isuzu dealership to let them look at what I really needed. Basically needs pads, rotors, seals, repack bearings, etc...they want $1500 to do the whole deal.

I've done lots of mechanic work, but never brakes. Is this something I dare tackle in the garage, let the Isuzu guys do it, or take it to one of those "franchise" shops like Midas or Brakes Plus?

If you're a little mechanically inclined, and don't mind getting dirty, I think this is probably something that you can handle. There are a few sets of good instructions to get you through everything that you need to do. I don't consider myself a mechanic in any way, but with Kenny's rotor replacement/wheel bearing repack write up ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...bearing+repack ) and the PlantIsuzoo wheel bearing repack write up ( http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles...Bearing_Repack ) I had no problem getting all of that done. I've repacked my bearings twice now, so it's starting to become second nature to me.

If you can wait until after Moab (that'll give you time to get all of the parts and pieces you'll need) I would gladly drive over to the Denver area for a little VX get together/ bearing repack party.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

Just a suggestion....

You can save a little by using OEM pads up front, and aftermarket pads in the rear. Most of the braking load is handled by the front end.....I recommend the OEM pads, though. One of my Vehicri came with new aftermarket pads, and I put new OEM pads on the other one, and the OEM pads are FAR superior.

Randy

I know traditionally most of the braking load is handled by the front wheels, but it seems like most VX's have some kind of proportioning problem. When I replaced my stock original pads at 80k miles, or so, the front pads looked almost brand new, whereas the rear pads where pretty worn.

I know they're expensive, but I would say OEM pads all around.

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I know traditionally most of the braking load is handled by the front wheels, but it seems like most VX's have some kind of proportioning problem. When I replaced my stock original pads at 80k miles, or so, the front pads looked almost brand new, whereas the rear pads where pretty worn.

I know they're expensive, but I would say OEM pads all around.
    DITTO...

So I'm going to go with OEM pads...any thoughts on the rotors. I know many have gone with the drilled R1 or other brands. I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts on this.

And also, should I just go ahead and put new bearings in or repack the ones I have. New bearings will add about $300 to the damage...

THanks for the help and support. I love this place...

I think all the previous owners of your VX took pretty good care of it, so unless you're feeling or hearing some strange noises coming from the front end I'm sure you could get away with just repacking your old bearings.

When I replaced my rotors I went with SP Performance drilled and slotted rotors and haven't had any problems with them. I don't have any experience with the R1's, but I've heard good things from everyone here. I don't think any of us will push the brakes to the point of actually needing drilled and/or slotted rotors so it's mostly an aesthetic choice. Since you've decided to spend the money on stock pads, could you just have your stock rotors turned to save a few bucks there?

The dealership said that they were rusting pretty bad and needed to be replaced.... He told me that Isuzu didn't do a great job of using any protectant to keep them from this...