Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: leather conditioning products

leather conditioning products

Some observations on leather conditioning products.

Bought several of the "ICE" line from Turtle Wax. Tried the "wax" and liked it, as it's super easy to apply & remove, with zero residue of any kind.

SO...got out the ICE "Total Interior Care":

ICE® Total Interior Care is a complete, easy to use multi-surface cleaner that can be used on all interior surfaces, eliminating the need for multiple products. It conditions, protects, repels and freshens interior surfaces including plastic, vinyl, leather and glass.

Product Benefits
    Lotion provides precision control to small tight areas of the interior dash.
    Removes unpleasant odors and keeps them from reoccurring, leaving a fresh scent.
    U.V. absorbers help prevent fading, drying and cracking of interior plastics.
    Includes a micro-fiber cleaning cloth.
    Did the seats exactly as instructed, including buffing. It's like nothing at all, nadda, zip, zero, goose egg!
    It left the leather dull, dry, no more supple or moisturized than before I applied it!
    Only positive is that it smells great, but scent didn't even last until next day.

Got out the traditional Lexol and some "Meguiar's Gold Class™ Rich Leather Spray." Did one seat split down the middle so I could compare the two. Totally different outcome, both were rich in emollients and left it moisturized, rich and supple, with a pretty good satin shine. Didn't have much Lexol remaining so did them again next day with the Meguiar's, looks fantastic and stays that way.

We live in a really dry climate, my leather really needs moisturized on a regular basis (and pitifully, I haven't done it since I bought my VX-my bad!) I suspect the ICE left it dull, dried out looking because it says it's a multi-surface "cleaner" and must have some cleaning agents in it.

I did the entire remaining part of interior in 303 about 2 weeks ago, with great results, and has remained looking great.

Bottom line- Skip the ICE interior stuff, stick with Lexol or Mequiar's.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I use the Meguiars Gold Class and love it...great product.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Ditto on Meguiar's, I've been using their Gold Class Leather Wipes on a variety of vehicles for the past 7 years with consistent results.

I was a cobbler in a previous life time. We used Lexol with great success!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Yes Kat, Meguiar's is definitely the "schizzney", Mothers Reflections is the bomb also!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    At another site I frequent, owners there talk about Eagle Nano products. Anyone here know about them?
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Another great source for professional car care products is www.GriotsGarage.com . I personally haven't tried any of their products yet, but their reputation is outstanding from other people's reviews. If you're into car-care/detailing, then this is an excellent website worth checking out.

just putting it out there

I use the Mequires but the guy who repaired and redyed my driver seat said a gentle shampoo is really good to use and cheap

Connelly's Hide Food - It's what they use to recondition Rolls Royce leather at the factory - 'nuff said! Been using it for years; you can find it on-line, or in fine luggage shops...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    Connelly's Hide Food - It's what they use to recondition Rolls Royce leather at the factory - 'nuff said! Been using it for years; you can find it on-line, or in fine luggage shops...
    ....and Land Rover Dealers carry it as well.
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

armrest

Is the armrest leather or vinyl?
    Need to recondition and couldn't tell.

its vinyl

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

The leather products work quite well on vinyl. The opposite is NOT true. Vinyl products should not be used on leather.

BTW, I used Meguiar's Gold Class the other day. The stuff works well but the sprayer sux (keeps clogging). It was so bad that I ended up just pouring it from the bottle onto a rag & wiping it on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The leather products work quite well on vinyl. The opposite is NOT true. Vinyl products should not be used on leather.

BTW, I used Meguiar's Gold Class the other day. The stuff works well but the sprayer sux (keeps clogging). It was so bad that I ended up just pouring it from the bottle onto a rag & wiping it on.
    Go for the wipes next time. Lesser value than the spray bottle, but MUCH easier to use.

Blast from the past!

Hey KAT, are you still happy with the Mequiar's Gold Class leather treatment?

I finally replaced my beat-to-crap front seats with a pair in much better condition. This is my first vehicle with leather seats (how did that happen?), so I want to learn how to take care of them properly.

How often do you treats your seats?
    (Lots of 100-105 degree summers; 20-0 degree winters around here)

Does anyone have advice on whether or not I should give my "new" seats a few treatments in a row? No telling how long they were sitting ignored at the salvage yard before I bought them.

While these seats look SO MUCH BETTER, there are still issues. One has a few small spots that look like paint splatter and there is something that looks like chewing gum in another place. Any recommendations for removal that would not harm the surface or dye? (I tried using a finger nail and the top surface of the leather said, "STOP NOW!") I expect I'd have to take them to a pro, but if there is a professional here, I'd love to hear your recommendations.