Thread: Hood Insert

Hood Insert

Just noticed that my hood insert is coming off.
    Passenger side, corner of hood insert closest to windshield.
    How is hood insert held on?
    Looks like there is some sort of corner piece that slips over some mount on hood and the other side of mount is fabric glued to the hood insert.

Actually it's held on by 6 or 7 screws bonded to the underside of the insert. One of mine broke in the exact same location. I've gotten some screws to try & epoxy to the same location but haven't done so yet.

If you pull the heat shield from under your hood, you can see where all of the screws are located at. Remember though that the windshield squirter nozzles go through both the insert & the hood so they have to be removed as well.

BTW, 2 sided tape will NOT hold down that corner ... I tried.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

This thread is actually about samneil2000 repainting the insert, but it does include some photos & tips:

Cleaned up the hood insert

Mine also came off in the exact same spot. T4B is right; remove the heat blanket from the underside of the hood and you'll see the bolts and the windshield washers.

I took my insert off, laid it face down on a nice soft blanket so I wouldn't scratch it and scraped off the old epoxy from where the bolt came loose. I then used some J.B. Weld to re-attach the bolt back to the underside of the insert. It's been a couple of years now and the insert is still laying down where it should.
    Last edited by MSHardeman : 04/27/2010 at 07:46 AM
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Thanks to all

MS,

I'd epoxy the original bolt back on but it was actually the bolt that broke. I haven't been to Fastenal yet but Lowes & Home Depot don't carry any replacements that look like they'll work.

This just happened to me, except driver side closest to front. Freaked me out! Do I need to order new bolts from Merlin and then throw down some new epoxy? Dammit, always something!

Luckily all of you people are very helpful and I know I have somebody to rely on to shake my nerves a little. I'm a nervous nelly to begin with. LOL!
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

In a thread somewhere these were talked about:

http://www.weldmountsystem.com/produ...ess_studs.html

This has happened to three or four of my insert bolts. I just took the insert off, laid it down on something nice and cushy (so it wouldn't get scratched) and scraped off all of the old epoxy from the back side. I then lightly sanded the bolt and the "flower" (that's what I call it anyway) that it is connected to to get the rust off of it, shot it with a little primer to prevent further rust, then after it dried I JB Welded it back down to the insert in the same location as before. It's worked, so far, for a few years, and the only ones that have come up are the ones that are still held down by the original epoxy. The JB Welded ones haven't moved.