Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VX engine swap

VX engine swap

Im in the process of buying a vx with a blown motor..What would be your suggestion on a engine I should put in it?

Well easy swap could be a 3.2/3.5 dohc engine from an isuzu, after that it's open to whatever you can either afford or have the skills to put in yourself. A fairly simple swap to me would be a chevy 4.3 V6. You could run EFI or Carb (up to you), if you go EFI you will need to get a computer/wiring to run it, also you would need an adapter froma Fiero store to adapt a GM 90* engine to the 60* trans, or you could run a chevy 2.8/3.1/3.4 and it will bolt up to the trans, just need to make motor mounts and what not for it. Your possibilities are endless!

Im leaning toward the 3.5 dohc from a 2002 trooper... My brother owns a custom shop so Im thinking of sending out to him with a a trunk of cash (lol) I was also thinking a diesel from a trooper ...If you had any choice of engines what would it be?

I have a stock vehicross motor for sale here
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

If I could pick a motor, one that is reasonable to fitting, I'd want either a Cummins 4BT diesel or a Magnacharged 6.0 LSx engine.

caddy has a 4.0 V8 that supposedly bolts right up to the 4L30E trans... dont think its been done, especially not on a VX, but in theory it works if you get the computers right

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson...uroraSwap.html
    Last edited by etlsport : 04/23/2010 at 05:05 AM

don't use the trooper engine! Use the Axiom's first years engine. Why would you spend all this money and not get a more reliable version????

Exclamation Need new engine ... or rebuild

sooo, does anyone know what the best replacement engine is for my 99 VX 3.5 v6? came off the freeway this weekend with a knocking that grew louder by the moment... got it to my mechanics who hasn't opened it up yet, but thinks it's a rod, oil was black, knocking incredibly loud from engine. so sad, I want to replace with same engine but newer and without mods unless these engines are not good to begin with and a different engine would be better? Mechanic doesn't want to do a rebuild and his estimates would cost about $2k- $2.5k for rebuild. I heard GM is buying these engines now... anyone know what one would work for the VX?

Please if anyone has done this and had good results, please let me know? I don't need opinions that aren't tried and true. =]

You guys rock with the help.... thanks
    I intend to keep my VX for life.

Smile

Listen to Atilla. There's a guy out in Austin that put an Axiom engine in his VX. Use the search button because there is a write up somewhere. Also, BigMeat just put a 5 speed in his VX recently. Again, use the search button to find the articles on it.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    don't use the trooper engine! Use the Axiom's first years engine. Why would you spend all this money and not get a more reliable version????
    An 02 Trooper engine should be fine, that would have the redesigned oil rings.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...as my 02 Axiom STILL had the older style valve covers??? Also the updated 03-later engines have a much better PCV valve...My 02 Axiom engine (dealer installed in VX) is great! 230 HP and NO oil. Consumtion at 60K + miles....

If it were me, Id buck up for the 250 horse 04 version...with direct injection....
    A little more computer swapin, but well worth it!!! In the future, expect to see folks experamenting with alternitive fuels on this engine, as with DI, the possibilities are enless....much improved gas mileage as well.

And DI engines can handle much more boost, in the event someone wanted more power....
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 06/02/2010 at 11:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    The upgrade actually came sometime midyear 02...
    I am told the ring upgrade can be detected by the presence of a screw-in PCV valve, versus a push-in one. Obviously, this should be confirmed on the subject 02 Trooper engine before jumping on it...

Before deciding you will want to look at your states laws on engine swaps and emissions.
    I know some states out east are rediculous with their emissions/aftermarket laws.
    Here in Az the donor engine must be the same year or newer(which the above options are).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    I am told the ring upgrade can be detected by the presence of a screw-in PCV valve, versus a push-in one. Obviously, this should be confirmed on the subject 02 Trooper engine before jumping on it...
    Yep, however, SOME 02 troops may have come with the newer screw-in setup, but they continued puting the older push-in PCV style engines isuzus untill at least midway thru 02....this is why my 02 Axiom had the older push-in style...but on the VX when I had the 3rd engine installed, they gave me an 230 Horse, 03 model with the newer screw in style PCV and the better rings...

Like BigSwede says, best to confirm this first...dont just assume if its an 02 engine, that it is the updated one....

Or just swap in one of these and be done with it

1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread