Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a waggly rear end?...FIX IT

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench Got a waggly rear end?...FIX IT

My name is Larry, & I've got waggly rear end syndrome...

Or at least, I DID...

Since last summer some time, I've been experiencing the somewhat unpleasant sensation of the rear end of my VX getting all squirrely when going down the highway. Usually at a constant cruising speed of 60-70 mph it would start pitching back & forth until I let off the gas, then it would straighten out.
    It got progressively worser over the winter until I could feel it wiggle back & forth at much lower speeds around 20-30 mph. Eventually, I could feel it pitch one way when I accelerated, then the other direction when I lifted off the skinny pedal.
    At first I suspected worn front end parts, ball joints, center link, worn shocks, control arm bushings...
    Then I remembered reading something Mike (Musky Amigo) wrote over on the MWIOR forums a year or two ago, about how the holes in the mounts on the frame where the lower links connect, had become egg shaped from the forces of acceleration & braking...hmmmmmmm...
    As I was cracking my lugs loose the other day, with the wheels on the ground, I noticed some movement in this area. Upon disassembly, I saw exactly what he had mentioned...oblong holes in the mounting bracket on the frame.
    His solution was to zap some gr 8 washers on the outer surface of both sides of the bracket.
    Since I don't have access to a welder any more, I went to the local purveyor of all wares hard, & picked up some half moon woodruff keys (very small, 1/8" thick) & gr 8 washers.
    I then ground down the 1/2 moon keys so they resembled a crescent shape, & inserted them on the forward side of the oblong hole to act as shims, while prying the lower link back with a tire iron.
    I then buttoned it all back up (after greasing the pivot pins) with the gr 8 washers against the outside of the bracket, effectivly captruing the 1/2 moon keys in their place.
    A test drive quickly proved Mikes theory as being right, & you shoulda been able to see me smile from a mile away...
    I'm gonna swing by my welder guy's place in the next day or two, to get the washers zapped on to the mounting brackets, to make this a permanent fix.
    I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to drive Suzy straight down the road again...I'm
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/19/2010 at 07:14 AM

WOO HOO!!!

Good catch & nice innovative fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I'm definitely in need of this fix. Do you think you can post a pic or two?
    ________
    Sex
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:24 PM

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by phines View Post
    I'm definitely in need of this fix. Do you think you can post a pic or two?
    Sorry it's not a better pic, it was getting close to bedtime & my cameras batterys wen go

I had to button her up & hit the sheets.

This is one of the 1/2 moon keys in place before the washers & nut go on.

I'll try to do better before & after welder dude does the zappy-zap...

That's perfect. I know exactly what you're talking about now. Thanks!
    ________
    ONE TREE HILL FORUMS
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:25 PM

Hey Dub, I'm about to rip out my mounts to install the new rear suspension. If you want them I can send 'em out to you for the cost of shipping(probably $5-8). As far as I know they are in perfect shape. I can send pics if you want them. Just thinking you could have them welded on just as easily.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Hey Dub, I'm about to rip out my mounts to install the new rear suspension. If you want them I can send 'em out to you for the cost of shipping(probably $5-8). As far as I know they are in perfect shape. I can send pics if you want them. Just thinking you could have them welded on just as easily.
    Big for the offer Beau...you're overqualified as "one of the good ones"...
    And I'll take you up on that, but for this year, zapping the washers is gonna have to do. I'll be doing pretty good to get welder dude on board to do that in the dwindling time left before I leave for Moab...
    I'm thinking I might cut em & section in some heavier ga steel on the sides where the holes are, maybe move the holes about an inch further back, to compensate for lift. All this would be much easier to accomplish on a bench, rather than in place.

How bout you bring em with next time we're in Moab at the same time, & I'll be happy to take em off your hands then?

I'd even be willing to compensate you with many libations of your choosing......
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/20/2010 at 12:47 AM

Wrench

As an additional benefit, all the driveline noises that used to make me think of bad U joints, or too much lash in the ring/pinion, are now GONE...

I'd heard that waggly rear ends create all kinds of unmentionable noises. Glad you could verify that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I'd heard that waggly rear ends create all kinds of unmentionable noises. Glad you could verify that for us.
    I do what I can...

1+ & 1- today...

- alignment dude sez T-bars cranked so far outta spec, all he could set is tow in...

+ welder dude sez SURE, bring it by in the morning...

My VX pulls left to right at highway speeds. I have new tires and alignment with only rear wheel drive. Could this also by my prob?

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by bearandbee View Post
    My VX pulls left to right at highway speeds. I have new tires and alignment with only rear wheel drive. Could this also by my prob?
    Of course it COULD...anything is possible...

Perhaps removing a nut/washer, to see what may lurk behind it is in order..

Did you SEE the pics?, does YOUR hole look like mine?...

C'mon dude...get a wrench & SEE what's going on...

I've been itching for a new VX project but my wife might leave me if I start taking things apart again. It's become an addiction.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bearandbee View Post
    I've been itching for a new VX project but my wife might leave me if I start taking things apart again. It's become an addiction.
    I didn't mean to be harsh'n your enthusiasm dood...

But...tell her you're examining the underside for alien corpses...

THEN...take a quick look behind the washer & nut....

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Did you SEE the pics?, does YOUR hole look like mine?