Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the VX was runnin' hot

the VX was runnin' hot

I was dreading the thought that the thermostat was the problem, so I picked an easier battle first...

Changed out the fan clutch with a Hayden unit I ordered from RockAutoParts, and after a few days of driving around in this nasty Az heat, I'm happy to report that the temp guage hasn't gone above normal!..

Next up... I'll be changing a slightly worn out center-link to help take out some of the play in the steering.

I tried a couple searches, but I couldn't find an old thread called "what are you doing to your VX this weekend"
    That was a fun thread to read and I figured I would add to it, but I guess it just died out...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd still keep an eye on the temp gauge. Thermostats start to go bad by occasionally 'sticking" in the wrong position until they eventually fail. So while the fan clutch was hopefully the problem, the temp spike you witnessed could still be an indication of a thermostat on it's way out. Not trying to make you paranoid, but in that AZ heat especially, better safe than sorry given the potential consequences.

I'm already paranoid about it...

It's been close to a week now, and every day that my wife drives it the 1st thing I ask her is.. how was the temp runnin?

... (then I ask her how her day went)

where are my manners?...

this is the first AZ summer for my VX. and I had a similar issue, however, it did not get fixed completely after I replaced fan clutch (Hayden). it still gets to about 70-80% of the gauge while driving in stop-and-go traffic, but goes to normal after few seconds of constant speed driving. My engine is, probably, new, and it is 3.2 6VD1, so I'm blaming the AZ heat.

Quote Originally Posted by ZubrAZ View Post
    this is the first AZ summer for my VX. and I had a similar issue, however, it did not get fixed completely after I replaced fan clutch (Hayden). it still gets to about 70-80% of the gauge while driving in stop-and-go traffic, but goes to normal after few seconds of constant speed driving. My engine is, probably, new, and it is 3.2 6VD1, so I'm blaming the AZ heat.
    a better question is............ why do we live in the effin' desert?

My wife's boys are big into the drifting scene and they tell me that a popular mod they do to their Rx7's is to swap out their fans for an electric unit from a Taurus.

Supposedly, these fans have better cooling capabilities than a clutch fan like our VX's.

Does anyone think this would be of benefit for us folk living out in the "dry heat" of the southwest?

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    a better question is............ why do we live in the effin' desert?
    1) It's pretty
    2) Lots of reptiles
    3) No rust
    4) Minimal bugs while you are camping

And so what's is wrong with your center link? Do you really think that would cause steering to be not so tight? I would think it is the power steering gear box getting worn out before the center link. Or are the boots on your center link dried up?

Just curious.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    1) It's pretty
    2) Lots of reptiles
    3) No rust

And so what's is wrong with your center link? Do you really think that would cause steering to be not so tight? I would think it is the power steering gear box getting worn out before the center link. Or are the boots on your center link dried up?

Just curious.

Bart
    yeah, the desert does have all those good things goin' for it.
    I loved all that when I moved here back in '96, but it seems the past fews years I'm getting less and less tolerant to the heat... Guess I'm just gettin' old and cranky!

And, yes, the center link does have dried up/split boots on it, so I'll change that out first then adjust box if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    1) It's pretty
    2) Lots of reptiles
    3) No rust

x2!! (Except I live up at almost 5000 feet where I get all that plus 15-20 degrees cooler)
    .....Last few nights we've been playin' with several toads in the back yard (Bufo woodhousii, a widespread toad around here, but that gets as far as Montana and North Dakota), we catch hoppers and feed the toad...way cool to watch! Every year, one of our dogs grabs them and within 2 seconds (really!) spits him out and starts foaming at the mouth from the toxin the toad excretes thru his skin as a defense mechanism. We've finally trained her not to grab them

Last edited by VX KAT : 07/22/2010 at 10:16 AM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Yeah, see, that's why I live up here. When the wife and I were looking for a place to move out West, we visited Pheonix, Sedona and Flagstaff. Phoenix was just WAY TOO HOT for me. Sedona was awesome and so was Flagstaff, but at the time the job market in those spots didn't help me. Reno is desert but we still get cooler weather up here much of the year, so I really like it.

Kat, you guys also have those awesome Canyon Tree Frogs up a little from you. They are super cool too.

Bart

Well in addition to the lovely warm weather

We have the most dealy spider, snake, reptile and insects in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    We have the most dealy spider, snake, reptile and insects in the USA
    I still would like to herp southern AZ during the monsoons some year...

Bart

Now it seems we should put together a Desert Wildlife Discovery Tour.... of course using only VX's!

This little guy has recently set up camp in my yard... pic taken through front window.

"BEEP BEEP!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    Now it seems we should put together a Desert Wildlife Discovery Tour.... of course using only VX's!

This little guy has recently set up camp in my yard... pic taken through front window.

"BEEP BEEP!!"
    Yeah, we should do some of that when we do our VX meet! Got boots that go up past our shins and hiking poles so we can trek through prickly stuff! We'll have to start a new thread...
    Cool roadrunner! Had one come up on the porch last month, never saw one get so close to the screen door....course my cats were having a spazz and it took off! Have them dash across the dirt road all the time...just like the cartoon when we were kids! (and Wile E Coyote too)

My VX was running hot and I checked the codes and had a MAF and O2 sensor codes. Dirty MAF was causing it to run lean. Cleaned it and purrin like a VX Kitten.