Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Idle probs FIXED!!

Yeah I went thru all this.... no success! Spares are horrible prices here!The tps and the iac cost about $200! Turned out to be those stupid intake manifold gaskets! Wish I'd known the trick of spraying "engine start" around the intake manifold before I started replacing stuff that wasn't necessary! Dohhhhhh! ):

wow sooooo awesome to have have all this info thanks peeps! Ill be giving whirls tomorrow!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]the 2nd mouse gets da cheese

Soooo... I had an intermittent idle surge (around 2000) noticed once when I came out to my remote started VX...the other while I was "trying" to coast through stop and go traffic (around 1800) riding brakes the whole way! So after we launched a couple airplanes, we had some extra time, so I pulled the ol' VX in the hangar and began looking at ALL the things in this thread. Cleaned throttle body (dont ask why I started there), and while putting the intake tube back I noticed the air temp sensor. I don't know if was Isuzu or previous owner??? BUT, the 2 wires going to the plug were wrapped so tight they actually wore through each other's insulation. I tried to get as much into the spiral wrap as possible, (with little success). I really wanted to pull the sockets out of the plug and use shrink tubing, but they were very stubborn and I didn't have the patience, so I ended up using electrical tape. (If any of you have messed with this plug, or similar please PM me how to unlock the sockets inside the plug). Sorry off track... But I started it up and the engine was still a little cold soaked (it's been negative digits here for the past 2 days even during the day) but my idle was at about 1000. I then left work, and before I got a half mile down the road I approached a stop sign at about 800. It was like this my entire ride home, and switching to reverse to back into my driveway still around 800. I'll keep this post updated if it comes back, but I thought I'd add this as a possible fix (air temp sensor) to these symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by magikmike View Post
    Soooo... I had an intermittent idle surge (around 2000) noticed once when I came out to my remote started VX...the other while I was "trying" to coast through stop and go traffic (around 1800) riding brakes the whole way! So after we launched a couple airplanes, we had some extra time, so I pulled the ol' VX in the hangar and began looking at ALL the things in this thread. Cleaned throttle body (dont ask why I started there), and while putting the intake tube back I noticed the air temp sensor. I don't know if was Isuzu or previous owner??? BUT, the 2 wires going to the plug were wrapped so tight they actually wore through each other's insulation. I tried to get as much into the spiral wrap as possible, (with little success). I really wanted to pull the sockets out of the plug and use shrink tubing, but they were very stubborn and I didn't have the patience, so I ended up using electrical tape. (If any of you have messed with this plug, or similar please PM me how to unlock the sockets inside the plug). Sorry off track... But I started it up and the engine was still a little cold soaked (it's been negative digits here for the past 2 days even during the day) but my idle was at about 1000. I then left work, and before I got a half mile down the road I approached a stop sign at about 800. It was like this my entire ride home, and switching to reverse to back into my driveway still around 800. I'll keep this post updated if it comes back, but I thought I'd add this as a possible fix (air temp sensor) to these symptoms.
    are you able to take a picture of what you're talking about?

anyone on this post had the problem of the car either in park or when changing into D having a huge shot of idle then just shutting off? and havign to pump the gas a bit when changind into R or D so tha car wont just shut off?

Quote Originally Posted by 44ficus44 View Post
    anyone on this post had the problem of the car either in park or when changing into D having a huge shot of idle then just shutting off? and havign to pump the gas a bit when changind into R or D so tha car wont just shut off?
    Check your intake manifold gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    are you able to take a picture of what you're talking about?
    I'll try and get a pic today and post it tonight. Just an update... Still no idle problems!

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor is just upstream from the MAF at the bend in the pipe. AFAIK it's the only other thinggy on the intake tube with wires connected to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor is just upstream from the MAF at the bend in the pipe. AFAIK it's the only other thinggy on the intake tube with wires connected to it.
    ok gotcha thanks - mike i appreciate it but i dont think i need a pic anymore

Quote Originally Posted by VXR View Post
    Check your intake manifold gaskets.
    hope its not that. dam car thanks, soapy water here i come

If you <cntl>F "air temp" in the shop manual, it'll take you to a cartoon of where it is.

EDIT:

It was interesting while stepping through that search, it went through the troubleshooting guide & rough idle was mentioned several times IRT the IAT sensor.

g-dmn sensors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evillecutter View Post
    g-dmn sensors!!!
    Agreed....

hey, does anyone know exactly where the cam and crank sensors are? maybe pics? having the supercharger makes it so bulky I ant seem to find them, spent hours under and over the car..... im sure they will be right under my nose too....

finally got around to posting that pic I promised...please excuse the orange tape... not alot of slack to get a good tape job...gonna wait to get another shot at removing pins and shrink tubing wires.[IMG][/IMG]