Thread: Hood latch sticks

Hood latch sticks

So
    Last edited by VX_FX : 04/17/2010 at 07:30 PM Reason: incomplete
    VX brought to you by the letter AWESOME!!

May seem obvious, but when mine was sticking and I was trying to figure out how to adjust it, it was suggested I just spray it with some lubricant. Once or twice a year and it has been fine. Sometimes it is the easy solutions.

Thanks - Mike

My hood release does not work properly so here is my solution.
    I have a 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe about 12 inched long.
    I gently wedge it under the front of the hood to create a little lift on the hood, then go in the VX and pull the hood release. Works every time.
    Now if I can only figure out how to fix the problem so the hood release will work properly. Any suggestions?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
    My hood release does not work properly so here is my solution.
    I have a 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe about 12 inched long.
    I gently wedge it under the front of the hood to create a little lift on the hood, then go in the VX and pull the hood release. Works every time.
    Now if I can only figure out how to fix the problem so the hood release will work properly. Any suggestions?
    Lube everything up good on the latch mechanism, then adjust the rubber bumpers in the front bulkhead (on either side of the radiator) by turning them counter clockwise.

If your hood doesn't look like it's closed all the way, you've adjusted too much...

Here is what has worked best for me.

First pull the engine and set aside on clean rags. You will have to unhook some stuff but some things will stretch enough.
    Second I have one of my smaller buddies get in the engine cavity and I close and latch the hood. Now your buddy can loosen the hinge bolts a bit to allow everything to kinda relax and line up so there is no side pressure or anything on the latch. Then ya just tighten the bolts back up and it should open just fine. Now if it won't open, you can pass another beer to your buddy inside to keep him appeased while you and your brain trust of "other buddies" hatch the new plan. Just keep at it and when shes perfect just throw the engine back in her and your off!

Travelin2--- That's the best advice I've heard yet!!!

Open drivers door, stand in-between the door and VX.
    Right hand grab hood release inside vehicle, pull and hold.
    Left hand ,ball fist, hit hood twice and release right hand during the hits.
    Works every time. I mean every other time.
    Spyder aka Mark Miller

stick a spark plug in the release latch and walk around to open hood, works every time, got that from original owner, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin2 View Post
    Here is what has worked best for me.

First pull the engine and set aside on clean rags. You will have to unhook some stuff but some things will stretch enough.
    Second I have one of my smaller buddies get in the engine cavity and I close and latch the hood. Now your buddy can loosen the hinge bolts a bit to allow everything to kinda relax and line up so there is no side pressure or anything on the latch. Then ya just tighten the bolts back up and it should open just fine. Now if it won't open, you can pass another beer to your buddy inside to keep him appeased while you and your brain trust of "other buddies" hatch the new plan. Just keep at it and when shes perfect just throw the engine back in her and your off!
    Yer killin me here ... Have you been spending time with Handito???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I've been havin' this problem too. If anyone has worked with saflok or maglok doors that have a little card you swipe to get in, your card wears out eventually and you end up 'f*cking the lock' (for us guys, that's swiping it in and out til it pops)

I use this method on the vx hood latch. Yank yank yank, Crescendooooo and pop!

Now if what your doing looks bad at the gas station, well, let them stare while you tell people your getting your truck off. Not even the beggar coming to gripe for gas money will bother you
    "Forum signatures are for fools." ~Anonymous Fool

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    ...then adjust the rubber bumpers in the front bulkhead (on either side of the radiator) by turning them counter clockwise.
    What Ldub said. It's really just that simple.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate